• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Starting quartz analog watch by warming it.

Keith McClary

Question

I replaced the AG4 battery (tested 1.6V  )in a quartz analog watch. The backlight (like Indiglo) works but the hands don't move. I ran across this:

"Sometimes it can be difficult to get the movement working again if it has been stopped for a while. Placing the watch in a warm place (like an airing cupboard) can sometimes "loosen" things up sufficiently to get the mechanism working again." https://www.watchbattery.co.uk/Replace-Battery-Dead.shtml

I put the watch in sunshine in 30C weather and it started! But it stopped when I brought it inside.

I'm wondering how hot I can safely go and for how long?

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

I have a 1970s Citizen quartz watch which wasn't running, despite having a new battery. I got it started with a line free tester (which spins the hands very fast), but found it would only keep running on my wrist and stopped soon after I took it off. I put it on a warm radiator for a couple of days, and after that it ran well for several weeks. But eventually it stopped and wouldn't restart whatever I did. In theory it could probably be serviced, but I don't know who would do that, so my plan is to replace the module with a modern equivalent.

I have had two Seiko Connaisseur watches that only ever ran when worn on the wrist, after the batteries were changed for the first time - these are serviceable modules by the way, from the 80's.  The design was really very thin, the UK equivalent to the Lassale I think, and one jeweller told me they were so thin that there was not room for the traditional 'spring' for the battery, and it relied instead on a dead fit, susceptible to poor connection therefore, but a warm on the wrist sorted it out ....

Edited by Jet Jetski