• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Collection size

Roxyben

I joined this forum believing that I could develop my interest in watch servicing/repairing which I took up after I retired as a bit of a hobby. I had even considered undertaking the professional qualifications. When I joined the Forum I had 7 watches .I now 13 and as that is an unlucky number I need to purchase a 14th but I think that it’s all down to individual choice and whether you have 4 or 54 if you enjoy them and you enjoy talking to like minded people about them then that’s find by me. I thoroughly enjoy coming on to this forum every day to get involved with people, who I have never met , but who obviously enjoy their watches as much as I do. I would just like to take this opportunity of thanking each and everyone for the wonderful contributions that you make. Please let’s continue to enjoy what we have and share that enjoyment with each other. Diolch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 6

I have mixed feelings.

I have two boxes which I almost consider separate collections... one has ten modern watches and the other has 6 vintage watches.

16 watches feels too many,  there's perhaps 2 if the modern ones I could bear parting with (Rolex submariner, seiko cocktail time) and in the vintage box my 1921 longines and 1923 Rolex wouldn't be unbearable losses but unless something is incoming I see no particular need to shed these watches and of whats left they all have something to offer.

I'm about to collect number 20 from the courier drop of point (6th one this year!) am begining to feel a little oversubscribed but i still have quite a few i want , my problem is i don't want to part with any of them , i think a Dozen sounds a sensible number(sadly i've never been considered sensible!) i guess at a push there are two i could lose but that still means i will probably wind up with 30 watches!

I am probably a little unusual in that I think my collection may only ever run to 5 or possibly 6 watches. One pocket (sentimental), one daily wear that has been retired (not worn, but not fully worn out), one daily wear (currently researching), one for garage/holiday/gardening (fingers crossed on the way) and possibly in the future one dress / birth year. Call me odd but I still love looking at watches and reading about them but one good quality daily wearer that can last me 30 years will do me for now (which I am hoping to get in the next few months).

• Agree 1

Current collection is 6 for me. I think this is the perfect size for me. A watch for every occasion so they have a specific purpose and it doesnt feel like i have wastage or overlap. 

My Current collection is 

Grand Seiko Skyflake

Zenith Pro Pilot 40mm 

Omega Planet Ocean 39.5mm

Omega Speedmaster Racing 40mm

Omega Constellation Perpetual Calendar

Oris Big Crown Roberto Clemente.

The Skyflake is my dress watch, Zenith is my dress/ Casual, PO is my daily driver, Speedmaster i take when i go racing for timing, the Oris is my summer/ lightweight watch when i dont want to wear something heavy and the Conny is my nightclub/ going out on town watch which looks nice, is versitile but that i dont mind the odd scratch on if i fall over pissed 

If i sold all of my watches and started from scratch, i could slim down that to 3/4 but i like mine too much to sell them. Id probably get 

JLC Reverso Tribute as a dress watch

Cartier Santos as a sports watch

Omega Diver 300 as my dive watch

Grand Seiko SBGV245 as my muck around watch.

Think that would cover off all my bases

Edited by WickerBill
  • Thanks 1

My collection stands at 4, and I'm happy with that number. A dress watch, a battered old beater, a new grab and go quartz, and a 'high end' watch (Sinn U1 SE).

I don't feel the need for more, although if I had the cash there's plenty I would like. 

I'm aiming at a Tudor Pelagos and have decided that, when the time comes, the much loved Sinn will have to go to help fund the Tudor. I'd rather have both, but my conscience won't let me. Given my finances, it would in fact be irresponsible. 

Four is fine for me, and conceivably even three.

A lottery win, though, would quickly result in an Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot, an Omega Grey Side of the Moon, an IWC Portugeiser, a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39, and an Omega white dial Aqua Terra. Oh, and a Junghans Max Bill.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thrudge said:

Omega Grey Side of the Moon

Great looking watch, I also like the dark side of the moon but t think I ever would be brave enough to purchase that one! 

1 hour ago, Thrudge said:

Omega white dial Aqua Terra

Wife's currently looking through the Aqua Terra range, so many of them. Some look great, some not so much. She seems to have it in her head that just because I have recently had a new watch that she is due one.:whistle:

On 09/08/2021 at 18:01, sabailand said:

Im not denigrating collectors at all, i`ve seen collections on here and some are very impressive indeed, for those who do own large collections, i say good for them!

I'm coming up to what I am calling a 'horological lustrum' as I have been 'fannying around' with watches since 2017 and a watch cull is on the cards.

I own approx 150 watches :swoon: and  I would class my hobby/illness as a 'more is more' collecting philosophy, but I am going to sell off a load and try 'less is more' so I enjoy wearing watches more often.

I want to see watches on my wrist...not on a spreadsheet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roxyben said:

Great looking watch, I also like the dark side of the moon but t think I ever would be brave enough to purchase that one! 

Wife's currently looking through the Aqua Terra range, so many of them. Some look great, some not so much. She seems to have it in her head that just because I have recently had a new watch that she is due one.:whistle:

You'll just have to give her one then.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I'm coming up to what I am calling a 'horological lustrum' as I have been 'fannying around' with watches since 2017 and a watch cull is on the cards.

I own approx 150 watches :swoon: and  I would class my hobby/illness as a 'more is more' collecting philosophy, but I am going to sell off a load and try 'less is more' so I enjoy wearing watches more often.

I want to see watches on my wrist...not on a spreadsheet.

150!

Wow.

Do you have a "watch room"?

Got five now, which I think is a decent size and ‘ticks all the boxes’ of what I need. My plan is to basically upgrade the ones I’ve got. Wouldn’t necessarily get rid of anything, just buying nicer ones as I can afford to (noting that price doesn’t always equal nice!). Eg; my old diver was a Vostok Amphibia - I upgraded for a Longines Hydroconquest. Massive jump up. Very rarely wear the Vostok now but still got it and occasionally do for gardening or similar.

So long term, I’d still probably have around five I wear on a regular basis with the older versions as rotation options once in a while.

2 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I have been 'fannying around' with watches since 2017...

I own approx 150 watches :swoon: and  I would class my hobby/illness as a 'more is more' collecting philosophy,

I want to see more watches on my wrist...

Just starting out then?

:tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1