• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Adolf Schild AS 340 Movement Replacement Stem (W174)

tick-tock-tittle-tattle

Question

I'm after a little advice regarding vintage stems for Adolf Schild AS340 movement, on Ranfft it states that a W174 is the correct stem for this movement.

My question is...what does this reference mean, is it just a reference that Ranfft use or does W174 relate to a generic stem.

I have a beautiful old  (1924 ) James Weir of Glasgow Silver cased AS340 which was purchased along with a working spare movement (AS340 Ebauche Trust) all  in a 100 year old cardboard box from 'The Railway Watch and Clock Co, 18 New Market, Inverness

I would like to get it all finished and looking as it did nearly 100 years ago, however the stem, and keyless work are proving a bit of a pain.

Help...as always would be really appreciated.  (sorry about the rubbish lighting and pictures...a rushed to get them done)

IMG_20210811_224553.jpg

IMG_20210811_224953.jpg

IMG_20210811_224624.jpg

IMG_20210811_224856.jpg

4 answers to this question

12 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I'm after a little advice regarding vintage stems for Adolf Schild AS340 movement, on Ranfft it states that a W174 is the correct stem for this movement.

My question is...what does this reference mean, is it just a reference that Ranfft use or does W174 relate to a generic stem.

I have a beautiful old  (1924 ) James Weir of Glasgow Silver cased AS340 which was purchased along with a working spare movement (AS340 Ebauche Trust) all  in a 100 year old cardboard box from 'The Railway Watch and Clock Co, 18 New Market, Inverness

I would like to get it all finished and looking as it did nearly 100 years ago, however the stem, and keyless work are proving a bit of a pain.

Help...as always would be really appreciated.  (sorry about the rubbish lighting and pictures...a rushed to get them done)

IMG_20210811_224553.jpg

IMG_20210811_224953.jpg

IMG_20210811_224624.jpg

IMG_20210811_224856.jpg

At the risk of being thought a girlie swot, is this what you're looking for?

https://www.windingstems.com/a-schild.php?caliber=340

Beautiful watch, btw. Hope you can get it sorted.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

At the risk of being thought a girlie swot, is this what you're looking for?

https://www.windingstems.com/a-schild.php?caliber=340

Beautiful watch, btw. Hope you can get it sorted.

That's the one, I have found one in the UK for sale on 'the bay' for £6, but it describes it as slight rusting on the thread.

The slight rusting doesn't bother me too much as it is probably surface rust that with a wire brushed and WD40 will be OK.

It is a lovely little watch, 100 years old in 2024, and quite nice to have the old cardboard box with spares. I think I got quite lucky when I bought this one...I know there is not a huge demand for ladies watches, but £30 for all that history is a small price to pay in my opinion.

Thanks again for all your help/research, you deserve some sort of badge or medal...I'll see what I can find.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyclient said:

Cousins have them no: as340401 £5.96 each plus vat etc got 12 in stock 

Cheers Andy,

Strangely enough I did a search at Cousins with 'AS340' but I may have put a '-10' afterwards as I found this reference on another site...AS340-10

Thanks for the link, you are also a star along with @spinynormanand @Karruselwho are able to come up with some solution.

Cheers all of you...you are the reason this forum is the best on the internet...imho

• Like 2