• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Am I the only one moving away from Seiko?

Barryboy

Over the years I have had dozens (literally) of Seikos and always had five or six kept in the watch box. It's a brand that has always been interesting, reliable and affordable. The VW of the watch world, if you like.

Unfortunately their quality control is not what it was and over the last five years or so the prices have risen quite dramatically and it's now quite common to see Seiko divers well over a grand - and I'm not talking Grand Seiko here either! 

This drive to push the brand upmarket has persuaded me to look elsewhere for my 'flip fix' and explore other marques - there are some very interesting micro brands that have appeared at reasonable prices that have started to attract my attention and I might well be changing the style of the collection over the forthcoming months. 

• Agree 4

@Barryboy Seiko were certainly my watch of choice for a "flip-fix" - seldom buy one now, not really been a conscious decision, price certainly a factor, you could buy vintage chronographs for seven shillings and sixpence on the forum or from RLT watches not that long ago, well nearly 20 years ago :laughing2dw: 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

It's like poking your finger into a satisfying hole. Sadly, it gets boring after a while.

Note.. I take no responsibility for anyone else's emotional input over my descriptive analysis. These things are out of my control and only show other peoples reaction to my general oblique descriptive reaction to a satisfaction that gets boring.

Here is the rope to let others hang :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a bit of a love/hate thing going on with them. 

I’ve got a Recraft, a Presage Cocktail and a Flightmaster all of which I love. I’m looking at another Presage. 

I’m not a big fan the Diver look they have.  I have a Seiko 5 Sports which has never really done it for me (might try one final strap change) and a SNK805 which is the only watch I currently own with a obvious scratch on the crystal (put me off Hardlex right there). 

I’ve also found Orient are much better value with the albeit limited range available. 

• Agree 1

I definitely understand the sentiment put forth by the original post. I pretty much agree on all points but the recent dip in quality control does not seemed to have affected there reputation too bad. People still buy there watches and they do still release some great watches. Even a few run ins personally with there most flaky quality control seems not to put me off even. If anything I know now what to look for. I still have a very soft spot for the brand.  I think non enthusiasts just wont even notice the defects that people that frequent forums and involved with watches on a much deeper level would.

Seiko I think are pretty much unsinkable at this point and will be with us for a very long time despite losing a few hardcore fans due to there recent dip in quality.

Even the Orient comparisons for me don't hold much water, as I have had a Orient that I have had a lot of problems with. More so than any of my Seikos. But there is a lot of competition from Orient and the slew of microbands that have popped up over the last 5 years offering a lot of watch for very little. 

• Like 1

Just out of interest, there are two specific Seiko threads in this sub forum.  Shouldn’t they actually be in the Japanese Watches sub forum?

Or am I being a bit naughty here? 

• Thanks 1

It was a Seiko 6105 that started me off watch collecting, unfortunately they don't make much that appeals to me at the moment. I have 4 Seiko's - a modified 6309 diver (keeper), a Seiko Spirit (keeper) & two BFK's, seeing as my wife bought them for me they too are probably keepers. I'm not anti-Seiko but until they release something that I just can't live without I'm not really interested in getting another.

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, AVO said:

Just out of interest, there are two specific Seiko threads in this sub forum.  Shouldn’t they actually be in the Japanese Watches sub forum?

Or am I being a bit naughty here? 

We move them after a few days or when the thread quieten down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Bit specific - you hate all sorts of stuff.:tongue:

Bet you Shinji Hattori is worried. :laughing2dw:

I've got a couple of the latest generation 5's (not divers) and for the money I can't fault them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxyben said:

Even the Orient comparisons for me don't hold much water, as I have had a Orient that I have had a lot of problems with. More so than any of my Seikos. But there is a lot of competition from Orient and the slew of microbands that have popped up over the last 5 years offering a lot of watch for very little. 

I see what you mean, I've only bought one Orient which only runs two seconds per day slow and I was blown away by the accuracy for the money paid. I haven't bought enough to make a quality judgment with the brand.

I have not bought from a micro brand yet, I have never gone as far as the 'buy now' final step, but I've looked at plenty.  I just don't think micro brands are for me for some reason that I can't put my finger on... not watch snobbery as I proud to say I own some utterly rubbish watches.

My wife calls me The King of Broken Watches for good reason.

I prefer to call myself The King of Wishful Tinkering.

5 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I see what you mean, I've only bought one Orient which only runs two seconds per day slow and I was blown away by the accuracy for the money paid. I haven't bought enough to make a quality judgment with the brand

Well I have only had two, the one I'm having problems with and another which I had no issues with whatsoever. But even so the bad orient has left a bit of a bad taste with me, but I will acknowledge for the majority of there watches they offer fantastic value and top value. 

8 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I have not bought from a micro brand yet, I have never gone as far as the 'buy now' final step, but I've looked at plenty.  I just don't think micro brands are for me for some reason that I can't put my finger on... not watch snobbery as I proud to say I own some utterly rubbish watches.

I'm of the same thinking as yourself. They get brought up all the time but they do nothing for me at all. Not ruling one out in the future but micros just don't do anything for me. The ones I have seen anyway. Would 100% rather have a Seiko anyday. 

• Agree 1

Took my 11 month old seiko back after it kept stopping and jammed up. They said I must have dropped it (I don't recall ever having dropped it) and £120 to fit a new crown stem and reposition the spring. Having told them to bin it, I am now getting calls saying they can't bin it and I have to collect it which is real nuisance.  After nearly 50 years of buying Seiko I don't think I will buy another one.

1 hour ago, chas g said:

Took my 11 month old seiko back after it kept stopping and jammed up. They said I must have dropped it (I don't recall ever having dropped it) and £120 to fit a new crown stem and reposition the spring. Having told them to bin it, I am now getting calls saying they can't bin it and I have to collect it which is real nuisance.  After nearly 50 years of buying Seiko I don't think I will buy another one.

I’d revert to the school yard staple of “make me”!

• Haha 1