• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Am I the only one moving away from Seiko?

Barryboy

2 hours ago, chas g said:

Took my 11 month old seiko back after it kept stopping and jammed up. They said I must have dropped it (I don't recall ever having dropped it) and £120 to fit a new crown stem and reposition the spring. Having told them to bin it, I am now getting calls saying they can't bin it and I have to collect it which is real nuisance.  After nearly 50 years of buying Seiko I don't think I will buy another one.

Go and pick it up, when they hand it to you throw it on the floor and stamp on it, then walk out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Love what grand seiko do but I'd always be thinking "is it special enough" for the money?

I have always thought that even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy a Grand Seiko. I have no doubt that they are excellent quality watches but somehow the thought of spending multiple thousands on a Seiko doesn't gel with me.  Watch snob?  Moi??  Mais non, mon brave. :watch:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a real fan of Seiko watches, admitting that  during last years they have been focused on launching the same watches with dial and bezel variations, I really love some of them.

Currently I'm a proud owner of a brown bullhead of 1972, a discontinued SKX009 an old version of black dial Sumo, A Japanese Emerald Samurai.... and in love with turtle  shape (one of the most  comfortable ones for me)

Now I'm diving into Zimbe  special editions and really excited about them.

Most here will know that I've had lots of Seikos over the years, some quite rare models and some not quite so.  I've never had any problems with them, even the 7T32s with their plastic gears, and have never had a dodgy bracelet, which so many complain about and so still have a soft spot for the brand. However, I will agree that of late, their offerings are rather 'samey' and expensive for what they are. My love affair with the brand started with the Seiko Pepsi my parents gave me for my 21st in 1975, and there have been loads since. The ones I've kept now are some of the more scarce models. I can post pics of them if required.

large.20190310_113502.jpg.b3c83b19bfb424be16441e85dc41f5a4.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Most here will know that I've had lots of Seikos over the years, some quite rare models and some not quite so.  I've never had any problems with them, even the 7T32s with their plastic gears, and have never had a dodgy bracelet, which so many complain about and so still have a soft spot for the brand. However, I will agree that of late, their offerings are rather 'samey' and expensive for what they are. My love affair with the brand started with the Seiko Pepsi my parents gave me for my 21st in 1975, and there have been loads since. The ones I've kept now are some of the more scarce models. I can post pics of them if required.

large.20190310_113502.jpg.b3c83b19bfb424be16441e85dc41f5a4.jpg

Would love to see them please

Don

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Beesadon said:

Would love to see them please

Don

Ok, Don, so these first few are ones that have now been moved on.
Seiko SKX 009. This was the first new watch that I bought after joining here 12 years ago.

Seiko SKX009

Various Sea Urchins, including the scarce blue and orange versions...
Seiko 'Sea Urchin' trio

...and the black one from above modded with an LV bezel insert specially made for the Urchin.

Seiko 'Sea Urchin' Green.

The original Orange Monster.

Seiko Orange Monster SKX781

Seiko Baby Tuna. (I didn't like the large arrow hour hand)

Seiko Baby Tuna.

Seiko LE 'Blue Lagoon' Samurai ( again, didn't like the arrow hour hand)

Seiko Samurai 'Blue Lagoon' Limited Editon.

Seiko 6M23-6000, the watch with the 'dancing hands'.

Seiko 6M23-6000 'Dancing Hands'.

Several rare 7T32s, the first a Giugiaro designed item, complete with its integrated blue sharkskin strap.

Seiko 7T32

A rather colourful 7T32...never seen another like it.

Seiko 7T32-6J79

A 7T32 version of 'The Great Blue'...this one had an iridescent and sparkly dial rather like an Omega Constellation Megaquartz.

Seiko 'The Great Blue'

A more common blue dial 7T32-7F70 (I still have the yellow version)

Seiko 7T32-7F70

The orange version of the Seiko 'Sawtooth'...(I still have the blue)

Seiko Sawtooth.

These next ones are the ones I still have (along with the Seiko Pepsi/Pogue, pictured in the previous thread above) and are probably keepers due to their scarceness.

1980 Seiko LCD G757-4010.

Seiko G757-4010

The yellow 7T32-7F70.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Seiko SKZ 251 yellow 'Frankenmonster'. These were also available with a blue, black or orange dial...the orange being the rarest.

Seiko 'Frankenmonster'

Seiko 'Caesar', based on the 7T92 movement. 

Seiko 'Caesar'.

Seiko SRP043K aka 'The Spork'.

Seiko Spork

and finally, the Seiko blue wave 'Sawtooth'.

Seiko Sawtooth

If there's one that I'd really like to add, it would be a minty blue bullhead from the 70s...but at the prices they command today, I don't think that will be happening...

Seiko Bullhead

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Ok, Don, so these first few are ones that have now been moved on.
Seiko SKX 009. This was the first new watch that I bought after joining here 12 years ago.

Seiko SKX009

Various Sea Urchins, including the scarce blue and orange versions...
Seiko 'Sea Urchin' trio

...and the black one from above modded with an LV bezel insert specially made for the Urchin.

Seiko 'Sea Urchin' Green.

The original Orange Monster.

Seiko Orange Monster SKX781

Seiko Baby Tuna. (I didn't like the large arrow hour hand)

Seiko Baby Tuna.

Seiko LE 'Blue Lagoon' Samurai ( again, didn't like the arrow hour hand)

Seiko Samurai 'Blue Lagoon' Limited Editon.

Seiko 6M23-6000, the watch with the 'dancing hands'.

Seiko 6M23-6000 'Dancing Hands'.

Several rare 7T32s, the first a Giugiaro designed item.

Seiko 7T32

A rather colourful 7t32...never seen another like it.

Seiko 7T32-6J79

A 7T32 version of 'The Great Blue'...this one had an iridescent and sparkly dial rather like an Omega Constellation Megaquartz.

Seiko 'The Great Blue'

A common blue dial 7T32-7F70 (I still have the yellow version)

Seiko 7T32-7F70

The orange version of the Seiko 'Sawtooth'...(I still have the blue)

Seiko Sawtooth.

These next ones are the ones I still have and are probably keepers due to their scarceness.

1980 Seiko LCD G757-4010.

Seiko G757-4010

The yellow 7T32-7F70.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Seiko SKZ 251 yellow 'Frankenmonster'. These were also available with a blue, black or orange dial...the orange being the rarest.

Seiko 'Frankenmonster'

Seiko 'Caesar', based on the 7T92 movement. 

Seiko 'Caesar'.

Seiko SRP043K aka 'The Spork'.

Seiko Spork

and finally, the Seiko blue wave 'Sawtooth'.

Seiko Sawtooth

If there's one that I'd really like to add, it would be a minty blue bullhead from the 70s...but at the prices they command today, I don't think that will be happening...

Seiko Bullhead

Thank you for sharing , there are great looking watches . I do have the urge to buy a nice Seiko , but can't make up my mind on which one to buy 

Thanks again

Don

• Thanks 1

I get where they're going and without thinking about it, have subscribed to their model so I'm one example of this strategy working. 

I now only own the SPB143 which is a marvellous watch and I expect my next Seiko purchase to be a Grand Seiko at some point in the future. 

On 23/08/2021 at 09:33, Caller. said:

It's interesting hearing members praising Orient over Seiko, when Orient is 100% owned by Seiko. 

That's not a point at all. That's like saying it's interesting to hear folk praising Bulova over Citizen or Certina over Rado/Omega/Swatch, etc. Owned by isn't designed by. Owned means nothing.

On 09/09/2021 at 01:26, antjrice said:

I get where they're going and without thinking about it, have subscribed to their model so I'm one example of this strategy working. 

I now only own the SPB143 which is a marvellous watch and I expect my next Seiko purchase to be a Grand Seiko at some point in the future. 

Where is that exactly? More bland designs with subpar materials and lack of quality control? Destination vacation? Easy street? I'm confused a to any intentional direction other than downhill fast! And I pray the brand falls off the map quickly. 

Edited by JayDeep

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

That's not a point at all. That's like saying it's interesting to hear folk praising Bulova over Citizen or Certina over Rado/Omega/Swatch, etc. Owned by isn't designed by. Owned means nothing.

I disagree. Swatch is a large conglomerate of brands that increasingly, especially among the medium level brands, share movements and components. The same with Seiko and Orient. Just look at the day/date windows. Seiko also own Alba, sort of their introductory brand. Seiko clearly import their characteristics into Orient, despite claims to the contrary. Over here, their displays have even moved in line with Seiko's, which used to be a jumble of watches, but are now clearly separated by model i.e. 5 in one cabinet, prospex another and so on. Same with Orient, Orient Star. It's not unusual to see Orient and Seiko, share the same concession's area. Grand Seiko are displayed separately, but usually  in the same vicinity. 

23 minutes ago, Caller. said:

I disagree. Swatch is a large conglomerate of brands that increasingly, especially among the medium level brands, share movements and components. The same with Seiko and Orient. Just look at the day/date windows. Seiko also own Alba, sort of their introductory brand. Seiko clearly import their characteristics into Orient, despite claims to the contrary. Over here, their displays have even moved in line with Seiko's, which used to be a jumble of watches, but are now clearly separated by model i.e. 5 in one cabinet, prospex another and so on. Same with Orient, Orient Star. It's not unusual to see Orient and Seiko, share the same concession's area. Grand Seiko are displayed separately, but usually  in the same vicinity. 

Lol okay buddy, sure.  Lol

On 23/08/2021 at 15:56, chas g said:

Having told them to bin it, I am now getting calls saying they can't bin it and I have to collect it which is real nuisance.

Ignore them, that's more annoying than stamping.on it. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

On 22/08/2021 at 17:17, Barryboy said:

Over the years I have had dozens (literally) of Seikos and always had five or six kept in the watch box. It's a brand that has always been interesting, reliable and affordable. The VW of the watch world, if you like.

Unfortunately their quality control is not what it was and over the last five years or so the prices have risen quite dramatically and it's now quite common to see Seiko divers well over a grand - and I'm not talking Grand Seiko here either! 

This drive to push the brand upmarket has persuaded me to look elsewhere for my 'flip fix' and explore other marques - there are some very interesting micro brands that have appeared at reasonable prices that have started to attract my attention and I might well be changing the style of the collection over the forthcoming months. 

Since lots of micro-brands use Seiko movements, that's where I look, and some good 3rd party modding components out there including WR sapphire cases, you can get Seiko timekeeping and something a bit different, and often well made.

On 09/09/2021 at 09:26, antjrice said:

In the face of steadily falling sales of 'normal' watches globally, particularly below £750 SRP (or equivalent), Seiko has decided it's not going to take on Apple or try to persuade younger people to wear an ordinary watch and so has clearly made a strategic decision to;

1. Stop making inexpensive entry-level (loss-leading?) watches (ditching quartz, kinetic, etc)
  2. Turn to a special edition product release model
  3. Increase SRPs across the board accordingly to increase margin on lower volumes to maintain overall profitability
  4. Cut production costs, even if perceived QC takes a hit, to maintain profitability
  5. Major on GS going forward, probably because they think it's the only future for the Seiko brand in the medium-to-long term.

I think Seiko knows it doesn't have the brand equity as 'Seiko' to play much above the £1k mark, but GS does and that's where the profits, and hence investment, will be.

On 23/09/2021 at 09:42, Rotundus said:

wow, so much hate - seiko the new rolex LMFAO ! 

It's all getting a bit tetchy.

I don't 'hate' any brand.  Personally - and it doesn't get more personal than watches - Seiko leaves me cold.  I've owned so many over the last 3 or 4 decades and despite trying I've never bonded with any of them and sold them all.  The Law of WIS states that we're supposed to love Seiko as the gateway brand to the hobby, but it just never happened for me.  I can't even tell you exactly why.  There isn't a single model now I would buy - they just don't do it for me, irrespective of the SRP.

I can see what Seiko is doing strategically and understand why, and why that would upset many people, in a similar way to how the way Rolex behalves upsets many people.  At the top end all the influencers, flexers and hype merchants are turning (certain) watches into Positional Goods.  At the other end competition from the smartwatch, or no watch at all, is impacting the viability of what was only recently mass market product.  But it is what it is.  The market has and is changing very rapidly and manufacturers are responding to it each in their own way as they want, and we can't do anything about it.

Unfortunately the hobby is suffering collateral damage as a result.  Many of us may end up priced out of it altogether.

6 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

I

I don't 'hate' any brand.  Personally - and it doesn't get more personal than watches - Seiko leaves me cold.  I've owned so many over the last 3 or 4 decades and despite trying I've never bonded with any of them and sold them all.  The Law of WIS states that we're supposed to love Seiko as the gateway brand to the hobby, but it just never happened for me.  I can't even tell you exactly why.  There isn't a single model now I would buy - they just don't do it for me, irrespective of the SRP.

I can see what Seiko is doing strategically and understand why, and why that would upset many people, in a similar way to how the way Rolex behalves upsets many people.  At the top end all the influencers, flexers and hype merchants are turning (certain) watches into Positional Goods.  At the other end competition from the smartwatch, or no watch at all, is impacting the viability of what was only recently mass market product.  But it is what it is.  The market has and is changing very rapidly and manufacturers are responding to it each in their own way as they want, and we can't do anything about it. Unfortunately the hobby is suffering collateral damage as a result.  Many of us may end up priced out of it altogether.

i get this, i really do. i am ok with seiko but have had many and flipped them and moved on. also a bit bored with dive watches and want to move on.

used GS is the way forward for me probably ... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rotundus said:

also a bit bored with dive watches and want to move on.

Funny you should say that, I feel the same.

As well as Seiko, it seems every microbrand under the sun is releasing nothing but dive watches.  Perhaps it's their ubiquity that breeds my increasing disinterest?

• Agree 1

I started my downhill slide with Timex ay age 12. I moved to Seiko about 8 years later. Over the years I have purchased roughly 13 Seikos. None of them GS.

It became too hit & miss with the quality that 4 years ago, I just gave up. Too many SE pieces along with lack of imagination has turned me away. I'll never buy another.

hi guys, new member here.
first post as well..
i was always a Seiko guy, 80's, 90's stopped wearing watches in the 2000's but started again early last year with a SUN 065P1, i really liked the depth of the dial & some of the other details.

after a short while i decided there were elements that i wasn't really that fond of so started looking for another Seiko that would appease my minor gripes.
this is when i started reading about all the misalignment issues etc & started looking elsewhere.
i still kinda like the idea of another Seiko but i've bought 6 other watches this year all from other brands...

there just doesn't really seem to be anything i want enough to buy..

• Agree 1