Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Could you collect only one brand?


Recommended Posts

Absolutely no chance - the pleasure to me is having a small collection of watches from different makers. All manufacturer's have their stamp which is repeated through their range. I have a friend who collects Rolex and to me, most of them look the same. His current search is for a sea dweller 50th anniversary because it has some red writing on the dial?????

If I had to choose one maker it would be patek because all their watches are rather beautiful.

They say "variety is the spice of life" so one each from omega, patek, jlc, rolex, iwc, vc, franck muller and meistersinger etc would suit me fine plus some odd ball watches

Edited by chas g
Spelling error
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, chas g said:

They say "variety is the spice of life" so one each from omega, patek, jlc, rolex, iwc, vc, franck muller and meistersinger etc would suit me fine plus some odd ball watches

Well that’s a nice selection, but you do need a Cartier. Or maybe that’s in the oddball group?

Edited by AVO
Added a sentence
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i could do it with Rolex(be a bit dissapointed with the pilot option) but it would go something like , Explorer1 , 36mm date just , no date Submariner , Daytona, Sea Dweller , white gold Yachtmaster and a white gold Cellini and maybe a yellow gold President.......need deep pockets though!

could also do it with Omega along the same lines and maybe IWC but i'm struggling after that for a brand with enough diversity

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AVO said:

Well that’s a nice selection, but you do need a Cartier. Or maybe that’s in the oddball group?

Absolutely I would need a Cartier. I love my roadster which I wouldn't ever sell but as I think you said all Cartier watches have the same stamp on them. I never quite understood why they resurrected the Pasha but dropped the Calibre de Cartier which I think is a much nicer watch.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say Oris.

My first 3 watches were all Oris so for a while I was a one brand watch collector.

They still make great watches, good variety and prices not too bad (although creeping up but not unexpected given they are now producing in house movements).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For my watch buying habits yes, but controversially it would be Rotary for me. They do watches from about £50 cheapies up to the £3-600 ish Swiss made ranges, Homages (and actually homages that are similar to rather than direct copies of higher end stuff) and original designs, their bracelets are usually excellent for the price points, they are more often than not screw down crowns which is a biggie for me. There's plenty of opportunity to buy vintage if the mood takes me, they do quartz and auto, Japanese and Swiss movements, and if I want to go upmarket a bit there's Dreyfuss to go at. TBH I've never bought anything further upmarket than that and I probably never will.

20210825_154722.thumb.jpg.b03f1e9fa6aa024133499436567724f5.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

For my watch buying habits yes, but controversially it would be Rotary for me. They do watches from about £50 cheapies up to the £3-600 ish Swiss made ranges, Homages (and actually homages that are similar to rather than direct copies of higher end stuff) and original designs, their bracelets are usually excellent for the price points, they are more often than not screw down crowns which is a biggie for me. There's plenty of opportunity to buy vintage if the mood takes me, they do quartz and auto, Japanese and Swiss movements, and if I want to go upmarket a bit there's Dreyfuss to go at. TBH I've never bought anything further upmarket than that and I probably never will.

20210825_154722.thumb.jpg.b03f1e9fa6aa024133499436567724f5.jpg

If you want to cover off almost every conceivable type and style of watch, Rotary must be right up there.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive often considered this and think it would be Omega or JLC....

Only problem is i have a perfect 3 piece collection from Omega with my Seamaster, Speedmaster and Constellation and it still hasnt scratched the itch enoguh to stop. 

I think im actually going down the route of 1 watch from every brand i like rather than 1 brand. 

With that said, even 1 watch from every brand i love, leaves me conflicted, when i watch videos like the one below. I think you CAN build a perfect 3 watch collection to cover all bases if you think about it carefully enough, and this type of collecting philosiphy really appeals to me.....only problem is i like too many watches from other brands to do this!....maybe i need 2 watches from 3 different brands to suit my needs! AGHHHH!!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/08/2021 at 10:09, yokel said:

 

GO is where I would end up. In fact, come to think of it, if I were to sell all my watches except the GOs, I would still be left with a respectable collection  :thumbsup:

Just to demonstrate @WickerBill's point  --  as far as I am concerned this is a perfectly well balanced collection. Dress, everyday and "sport"; Black, white, blue, green.

ryp5zKI.jpg

 

Also, plenty of opportunity to add a chrono if I felt the need. And square. And orange, etc.

 

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, yokel said:

Just to demonstrate @WickerBill's point  --  as far as I am concerned this is a perfectly well balanced collection. Dress, everyday and "sport"; Black, white, blue, green.

ryp5zKI.jpg

 

Also, plenty of opportunity to add a chrono if I felt the need. And square. And orange, etc.

 

.

That IS a perfectly balanced collection......only problem is, i look at it, adore every one of those watches but would still want a JLC, to keep my Skyflake and Zenith pilot lol!!!!!

I tried that green Panoluminar on along with the GO Sixties 2020 edition and they are all gorgeous watches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

That IS a perfectly balanced collection......only problem is, i look at it, adore every one of those watches but would still want a JLC, to keep my Skyflake and Zenith pilot lol!!!!!

I tried that green Panoluminar on along with the GO Sixties 2020 edition and they are all gorgeous watches. 

Thanks.

I'm not intending to GO to a single manufacturer, like you I love other models far too much. 

I'm merely contending that such a thing would be possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, yokel said:

Thanks.

I'm not intending to GO to a single manufacturer, like you I love other models far too much. 

I'm merely contending that such a thing would be possible.

oh 100 percent. The Mr Porter videos are done for other watch brands, and if you are that way inclined they make VERY good cases for a 3 watch, 1 brand collection. Its a really neat way of thinking. 

I suppose in my own current collection my Zenith Pilot would be for work, Planet Ocean for rest, and Skyflake for play. tbh. i should quit right now, becuase from standing outside the box its on hell of a triple......

 

...but i doubt i will lol. 

I think my next triple will be a Rolex OP bright blue for work, A Breitling or GO of some sort for rest and a JLC reverso for play....

 

....then i REALLY am out!....covered all my favorite brands 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Omega for me, a really diverse range and there are few I actually don't like. 

Sinn would be another option - again, I like almost everything they do. Love the tool watches, but the dress watches ('Frankfurt' IIRC) a lovely, too.

Edited by Thrudge
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/08/2021 at 06:30, Jet Jetski said:

Well I have (updated stats)  5 from Elliot Brown, but 4 of them are the same range (Holton), just different colourways.  OK, two of them are the same colourway, but different movements ...

I have a couple of Citizen probably on the way out to make space for a couple more Holtons.

Updated stats. 

What's all this nonsense about variety?  You are not properly OCD until you like your watches increasingly similar!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a bit of a soft spot for Longines and would have to say they’re a pretty good shout in the c.1-2000 price range. 

Sport/diver - Conquest/Hydroconquest/legend diver/skin diver

Pilots - say Spirit

Square - Dolce Vita

Dress - Flagship, Presence or master lines/collection - flagship heritage for me

Quartz/GMT - Conquest VHP/VHP GMT

Chronograph - lots but say heritage chrono classic for a more race-y one 

Moonphase - Master collection moonphase

Tuxedo dial - heritage classic tuxedo


 

Make a good and very varied collection out of that.

 

I’d want some brand variety so wouldn’t do it in practice. But if money were no object I think it would be pretty cool to have lots of mini collections from different brands all with the same five or six ‘categories’ of watches ticked off.

 

Edited by Bobby123
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bobby123 said:

I have a bit of a soft spot for Longines and would have to say they’re a pretty good shout in the c.1-2000 price range. 

Sport/diver - Conquest/Hydroconquest/legend diver/skin diver

Pilots - say Spirit

Square - Dolce Vita

Dress - Flagship, Presence or master lines/collection - flagship heritage for me

Quartz/GMT - Conquest VHP/VHP GMT

Chronograph - lots but say heritage chrono classic for a more race-y one 

Moonphase - Master collection moonphase

Tuxedo dial - heritage classic tuxedo


 

Make a good and very varied collection out of that.

 

I’d want some brand variety so wouldn’t do it in practice. But if money were no object I think it would be pretty cool to have lots of mini collections from different brands all with the same five or six ‘categories’ of watches ticked off.

 

I think that might be the best answer to this thread / the OP so far.

Overall the three brands that would be a good shout and allow a fairly wide selection to pick from,  and a collection that covers more than 3 or 4 watches in the collection that have plenty of different types and styles of watch, are:

On a budget of around £500 or less per watch - Rotary

On a budget of around £1-2k per watch - Longines 

One budget of £4k+ per watch - Omega

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...