• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Calling all golfers…just to chat about golf!

Having finally retired, a year later than expected owing to various circumstances, I have decided to take up golf again.

Again, because when I lived in Scotland in my 20s and early 30s I used to play. Nothing serious, but I would play with friends and colleagues on my days off on some of the lovely local courses. It was dirt cheap and even though I was completely useless, I enjoyed it.

When I moved south 30 years ago, I gave up playing. So a few weeks back I bought some clubs from a chap I knew and booked myself a golf lesson. The young pro who was working with me was very reassuring and I think I have made quite a lot of progress. I go down to the driving range a couple of times a week.

Yesterday I played a nine hole course (first time out) with four of my now ex colleagues and we had a great afternoon. I was delighted to hit my opening drive well down the fairway and to get a couple of bogeys at the first two. Things went downhill a bit after that; a lot of three-putts and I managed to card double figures on the monster par-5, when my ball decided to visit an adjacent fairway followed by some very nice greenery.

I don’t think I shall get remotely competitive, but I’m shopping around at the moment to find a nice sociable club with a good senior section. The one where I’m taking lessons is rather snooty and expensive. A membership application has to be supported by three other members, the pro has to assess your playing ability, you have to have a handicap and an interview with the captain. Added to which, visitors can only play the full course if they are members of another club and produce a handicap certificate. I won’t be joining that one.

Anyway, without getting too technical, who plays golf? Decent standard or handicap? Belong to a club?

i’ve got the golf bug and I love talking about it!

One of our close family friends has been playing golf (all around the world) for 50+ years, , 4/5 times a week since retirement.

He still is carp at it, which he readily agrees!

My advice :hmmm9uh:

Keep practicing the word Four in multiple languages.

:tongue:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Keep practicing the word Four in multiple languages.

Or,

"Fore!", originally a Scots interjection, is used to warn anyone standing or moving in the flight of a golf ball.

:laughing2dw:

• Like 1

You may have seen me mention golf in many of my posts! - I am a fanatical golfer (just as the wife aka "The Grass Widow") - I started playing when I was 4 - The first hole I played (Par 5) took me 17 shots to reach the green & 11 putts to get in the hole - My dad used to rib me about this at every opportunity, but I shut him up eventually when playing with my brother one day I had an albatross 2 on the same hole! - So I've been playing for nearly 60yrs & currently play off 5.7 Index (pretty decent for an old boy with a dodgy back) - My swing is short & fast (think "geriatric John Rahm"!) - I am lucky enough to be a member at Army GC in Hampshire & have Country membership at New Forest GC - Two very different courses - I have a reputation as a "serial club changer" and the majority of my Ebay feedback (well over 1,000) is buying & selling golf equipment - In my defence, a lot of the stuff I buy & sell there is for other people who are aware of my skill in doing so - As you can see I can bore for Britain on the subject, so strap yourself in for some serious golf bull****! - I have an amazing trophy at home, the story of which I could be persuaded to share :whistle:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Or,

"Fore!", originally a Scots interjection, is used to warn anyone standing or moving in the flight of a golf ball.

:laughing2dw:

I was told it had nothing to do with "fore" as such. The fife coast would say "warn yin afore yi" (warn the people in front of you). In the beginning it was just a general shout of whatever you choose "watch yourself!" "Oi! Be careful" etc. But when you write down "warn yin afore yi" at the beginning of a loose form of rule book, it can be hard to translate and came out as (give a shout of afore as warning). Now its just "fore!".

I don't know if this is true or not, but its a nice thought.

2 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

I was told it had nothing to do with "fore" as such. The fife coast would say "warn yin afore yi" (warn the people in front of you). In the beginning it was just a general shout of whatever you choose "watch yourself!" "Oi! Be careful" etc. But when you write down "warn yin afore yi" at the beginning of a loose form of rule book, it can be hard to translate and came out as (give a shout of afore as warning). Now its just "fore!".

There's a few theories on the origin of "fore" - Most plausible (to me) is that golfers used to have a fore-caddy who walked ahead of those playing to spot where balls landed etc - If a ball was heading at the fore-caddy, they would shout "fore-caddy" as a warning, which became just "fore" ...
As an aside, there is a big hoo-haa currently on the US Tour about players not shouting "fore" when a ball is heading into the crowds along the fairway - US Tour players are much less likely to shout "fore" & there have been several quite serious injuries caused to unsuspecting spectators - No excuse for not shouting "fore" imho ...
I had a near miss myself a few years ago when someone teeing off on an adjacent Par 3 didn't shout "fore" - The ball landed at full speed between my legs! - One of my group spoke to the player (I was still shaking & barely able to speak!) - He said he didn't know where the ball had gone (?) - Maybe even more reason to shout "fore" :bash:

3 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Various theories,

https://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/origin-of-golf-terms/fore/

I found a place on Wednesday that has a good Toptracer driving range and a nice looking nine hole course. It seems very friendly and there appear to be no issues with becoming a member if I wanted to. I’ve booked nine holes for this afternoon to see if I like the course.

Good news for you finding a nice course with a Toptracer range @AVO - If you haven't done already, download the Toptracer app for your phone - You can then log in with your ID each time you visit & keep a record on your phone of shots you make in practice - This will hopefully help with various aspects of your game as you progress - I have been using my local Toptracer range for over a year & it has helped me with all sorts of things like how far I hit each club & (as I mentioned above) with comparing different clubs when I have changed them - Most people enjoy the plethora of different ways you can use Toptracer, from Practice mode to playing a virtual round of golf at St Andrews or Pebble Beach! - I hope your round today is a good one with not too many shouts of "fore"! ...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PaulBoy said:

I hope your round today is a good one

Thanks, Paul. Interesting little course, relatively short but quite tricky. Looking at the aerial photos the fairways look wide and beautifully presented – they are! Unfortunately my direction is a bit all over the place at the moment and the rough is really quite vicious, despite looking fairly innocent. The greens are quick and often quite narrow front to back when you are pitching into them. Given that it’s in the Norfolk Broads you would imagine it was very flat, but there are some quite considerable side slopes on the fairways and you don’t often get a level stance.

I enjoyed it but I was completely useless; fortunately, just walking around on my own it wasn’t necessary to count shots. Bloody good job. It turns out that the MD is a former pupil of mine, and his dad having retired from making loads of money, works as a part-time greenkeeper.

I downloaded the Toptracer app last night and it does work, but I only took a small bucket of balls as a warmup.

It’s definitely a candidate for joining, as the membership package seems quite good. But I need to play the course again before making a decision. I have a lesson on Monday and I’m probably playing another nine hole course with a friend on Wednesday.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1

Glad you had an enjoyable round :thumbsup: - Someone famous once said golf was one of those things that you didn't have to be any good at to enjoy, so even when you don't play your best it is an enjoyable walk in the fresh air & I always find there are enough good shots that you want to get back out there to try & improve? - You can also play on your own, which doesn't work for a lot of other sports? - As I said in my first post, I have been playing since I was a child & still get a real buzz from it nearly 60 years later - Of course I don't like to play poorly (who does?) but it's supposed to be fun & shouldn't be taken too seriously at whatever level you play (crazy golf not included!)

Where we live is essentially a bunch of houses/ apartments around a golf course. I've not played the course yet but a few of my neighbours have. Buggies are a must most of the time due to the heat and society days are the cheapest way to play. One of my neighbours from Ayr is an unpaid marshal, think he does about 10 hours a week, and he gets to play as much as he likes for "free". Annual fees are around Eur 2.5k but there are all sorts of offers to make it more affordable.

This is one view of part of the course - plenty of olive and palm trees

IMG_20201221_123114278

On 31/08/2021 at 21:38, wrenny1969 said:

One of my neighbours from Ayr 

IMG_20201221_123114278

Looks a bit warmer that Ayr

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

I spent my early childhood ten minutes from Royal Troon, Prestwick was a few minutes along the road and Turnberry was a short drive down the coast so as a teenager golf was popular where I lived. 

Obviously the aforementioned were way out of our pockets but there was a local municipal coarse which supposedly had some of the longest and my memories of it are dulled but I'm going to say par 4 holes. 

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/courses/17218-caprington-golf-course

There was also an 18 hole pitch and putt in the park where I lived, surprisingly for a p&p it was on a bit of a slope and challenging even for better players. 

@PaulBoy you say it's still fun even if you're not so good but I would sort of disagree, I didn't have the natural ability to be really good and I don't like doing things I'm not good at whereas one of the lads just had a feel for it, just about any club on any coarse and he was always there or thereabouts. 

4 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

@PaulBoy you say it's still fun even if you're not so good but I would sort of disagree, I didn't have the natural ability to be really good and I don't like doing things I'm not good at whereas one of the lads just had a feel for it, just about any club on any coarse and he was always there or thereabouts. 

Well I play with loads of people who aren't very good at golf, but they still enjoy themselves hacking about & a walk in the fresh air? - When I get to that stage I will hang up my golf bats! ...

Talking of Prestwick (one of the oldest courses in Scotland, circa 1851) the American coach / commentator on Sky, Butch Harmon told the (true) story of some friends of his who were visiting Scotland to watch the Open at Troon - Butch told them to make the effort to visit Prestwick & see one of the oldest courses in the world - When they returned from their trip he asked them what they thought & they replied "Yes the course was amazing, but why on earth did they build it next to an airport!" :laughing2dw: :bash: :jawdrop1:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PaulBoy said:

Well I play with loads of people who aren't very good at golf, but they still enjoy themselves hacking about & a walk in the fresh air? - When I get to that stage I will hang up my golf bats! ...

Talking of Prestwick (one of the oldest courses in Scotland, circa 1851) the American coach / commentator on Sky, Butch Harmon told the (true) story of some friends of his who were visiting Scotland to watch the Open at Troon - Butch told them to make the effort to visit Prestwick & see one of the oldest courses in the world - When they returned from their trip he asked them what they thought & they replied "Yes the course was amazing, but why on earth did they build it next to an airport!" :laughing2dw: :bash: :jawdrop1:

The airport was another favourite haunt when we were teenagers, excellent cocktail bar and a 24hr cafeteria, it was where we all used to congregate after a night on the lash in Ayr then walk into Prestwick in the morning for the first bus home. 

Happy Days 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Back in the day when we were kids they also had an outdoor viewing balcony upstairs, I remember my father taking us there frequently, the highlight in my booze addled memory was seeing the first 747 Jumbo land. 

As said I like winning so probably why I have ended up an old lazy b@stard. 

According to Big M it turns out I'm quite good at that. 

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

Back to the golf ... I had an interesting round recently - I'd been away for a long weekend visiting relatives & asked my pal if he could play on the Tuesday when I got back (my usual golf days are Mon Wed Fri?) - He agreed, but wanted to play early as it was his birthday & was being treated to lunch by his family - We teed off at about 7am - Both being decent players we skipped round quickly - We reached the 17th hole which is a difficult Par 3 around 180y - My pal teed off & after saying he'd "slapped it a bit" started to get excited as it headed straight towards the hole! - Neither of us saw it drop, but it had gone in for his first ever hole in one! - The odds on having 1x hole in one are 12,500:1 - From what I have read, the odds on having one on your birthday are over 4 million:1
I have been fortunate enough to have had 4x holes in one - On the day I had one of those I also ht the pin on another Par 3 and my ball stopped on the edge of the hole! - If that shot had have gone in, the odds of having 2x holes in one during the same round are 67 million:1 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

When I was walking across the golf course yesterday, I thought I was hallucinating; this :sign_wtf:

blimey, the GPS one seems to offer a greater "caddy" service given it tells you how far or near you are to the pin (a f***ing long way to go in my case, syntax error etc.). Utterly ridiculous or necessary kit - not my fight. Walkers are discouraged on my course due to volume of players and log jams, smallest group they book is a four ball.

On 11/10/2021 at 20:32, WRENCH said:

When I was walking across the golf course yesterday, I thought I was hallucinating; this :sign_wtf:

Not quite sure what @WRENCH is trying to say? - At least with a trolley (regardless of what tech is built into it) a golfer is walking in the fresh air whereas @wrenny1969 is saying where he plays, players are discouraged from walking & forced into riding buggies? - Not much exercise there! - I will walk until I am unable to & wouldn't want to play a course where you cannot walk ...

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Al Czervik 

Still a bit in the dark, but googling "Al Czervik" revealed this explanation which clears it up nicely :laughing2dw:

As discussed in the previous installment, Ty Webb vs. Al Czervik is the Caddyshack semiosphere’s hermeneutic code. The paradigms Ty Webb and Al Czervik, that is, challenge and subvert the structure of meaningfulness established by the master code Golf Club vs. Caddy Shack. The paradigm Ty Webb does so in an antiheroic fashion — by rejecting both the “value” Golf Club and the “disvalue” Caddy Shack; the character Ty Webb refuses to buy into either the dominant culture or the counterculture. The antihero wants it all; they want to have their cake, and eat it too; faced with an either/or decision, they choose “all of the above.” Al Czervik, as we’ll demonstrate in this installment, also refuses to buy into either the dominant culture or the counterculture… but this paradigm is anto-antiheroic. The anti-antihero doesn’t want anything this semiosphere has to offer; faced with an either/or decision, they choose “none of the above.”