Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Automatic Watch - needs battery!


aesmith
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, WRENCH said:

Had a few like that out of charity shops.

That actually makes me quite cross (both the charity shops and the ebay wallies).

If they know so little that they do not know what automatic means, then they certainly don't know enough to have a clue if it is completely broken and beyond repair or just needing a "battery".

So they are effectively selling something as working that they have no idea whether it is working other than they can't make it work. Presumably in the basis that the buyer either thinks stuff it if its no good or they can just say "soz, thought it just needed a battery" after the new owner has spent their money (and maybe forked out for a new battery, if it is in watch that actually has somewhere for one).

Unless you KNOW it is/was working and just needs a battery they should list it as untested or spare/repair.

 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bricey said:

That actually makes me quite cross (both the charity shops and the ebay wallies).

If they know so little that they do not know what automatic means, then they certainly don't know enough to have a clue if it is completely broken and beyond repair or just needing a "battery".

So they are effectively selling something as working that they have no idea whether it is working other than they can't make it work. Presumably in the basis that the buyer either thinks stuff it if its no good or they can just say "soz, thought it just needed a battery" after the new owner has spent their money (and maybe forked out for a new battery, if it is in watch that actually has somewhere for one).

Unless you KNOW it is/was working and just needs a battery they should list it as untested or spare/repair.

 

In a couple of weeks someone will turn up in the Technical Questions section - "I've bought this watch, Seiko, with a 5 on the dial, anyone know which battery it needs? And where it goes? I can't work out how to post a picture."

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bricey said:

That actually makes me quite cross (both the charity shops and the ebay wallies).

If they know so little that they do not know what automatic means, then they certainly don't know enough to have a clue if it is completely broken and beyond repair or just needing a "battery".

So they are effectively selling something as working that they have no idea whether it is working other than they can't make it work. Presumably in the basis that the buyer either thinks stuff it if its no good or they can just say "soz, thought it just needed a battery" after the new owner has spent their money (and maybe forked out for a new battery, if it is in watch that actually has somewhere for one).

Unless you KNOW it is/was working and just needs a battery they should list it as untested or spare/repair.

 

So if you see a clean vintage Longines Admiral HF automatic for £6 with "needs battery" on the tag, you'd walk on by. Or would you go into the shop and say "pardon me sir/madam, but that watch in your cabinet is a desirable and quite scarce vintage automatic, and I shall whip out my wallet and give you £175 for it instead"? :hmmm9uh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, at least if it’s Seiko it’s not likely to be a Swaziland Special.

I did once have a conversation with a Saturday Kid in a jewellery store:

It’s a mechanical watch, sir

No it isn’t, it’s quartz!

That’s right, quartz mechanical.

Ah, you mean quartz analogue!

Sorry? :biggrin:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

So if you see a clean vintage Longines Admiral HF automatic for £6 with "needs battery" on the tag, you'd walk on by. Or would you go into the shop and say "pardon me sir/madam, but that watch in your cabinet is a desirable and quite scarce vintage automatic, and I shall whip out my wallet and give you £175 for it instead"? :hmmm9uh:

Whilst I get the point you are making, there is a difference between the seller not knowing what they are selling and coming up short, and the seller not knowing what they are selling and ripping someone off.

Surely if I am selling something the onus is on me to make sure I'm not giving it away under value?

But by the same token the onus is on me as the seller to not mislead or miss label the item I am selling. Saying it needs a battery when it is an automatic pretty much assures everyone that knows the difference that the seller has no clue whether the watch is working and so is in effect lying (or best case taking an uneducated guess) as to its condition.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Whilst I get the point you are making, there is a difference between the seller not knowing what they are selling and coming up short, and the seller not knowing what they are selling and ripping someone off.

Surely if I am selling something the onus is on me to make sure I'm not giving it away under value?

But by the same token the onus is on me as the seller to not mislead or miss label the item I am selling. Saying it needs a battery when it is an automatic pretty much assures everyone that knows the difference that the seller has no clue whether the watch is working and so is in effect lying (or best case taking an uneducated guess) as to its condition.

 

What the shops local to me do is give a full refund if the watch doesn't work, and there's any number of battery bodgers that'll check it for free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It being eBay I stand by my earlier comment, unless of course I am wrong - in which case I don't...

 

... but I reckon it's probably shagged. See how good I am, an' not following up on the 'shuggle' comment - wrench you deviant (of course it might just be me).

 

Sleep well all - I shall. Am currently in a little hotel somewhere in the Highlands - run out of cider but lots of everything else :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...