• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New square-case Kered arrival with FHF 55-4

Eaglegale

Just got this unusual square-cased Kered from the Bay.  Just £12.70 delivered.  It's quite small, at just 28mm across, with a 10 micron plated case.  It's got a Swiss FHF 55-4 movement.  As far as I can see that's not a common movement, though I'm happy to be proved wrong.  Ranfft and 17jewels don't list it.   

This brings my total number of square-cased Kereds to... two!

square-Kered-1.jpg

square-Kered-2.jpg

square-Kered-3.jpg

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, spinynorman said:

Good catch. Kered is proving to be a much more diverse brand than I expected.

That's true.  The movements are French or Swiss or German or Japanese.  They clearly went to whoever was offering the best deal at the time.

48 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Always pleased when someone forms a bond with a particular brand.

It's something to do with being a Derek I think.  Like Topsy my interest, "just growed".  Lucky my name's not Xelor or Agemo!

3 hours ago, Eaglegale said:

Were "PS" the case makers, if so who might they be?

I asked about those marks once, but got no answer. Case maker does make sense, but I've never been able to identify any of them. Most of my Allaines have a T in an inverted triangle, except the ones I think were bought in. But then the Everite I just bought has the inverted triangle T as well. Only seen those marks on Swiss made watches. These are the ones I've got.

large.1642528132_Casemarks.JPG.ad475845893f7f6dbb9c85f5b2c6b351.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I asked about those marks once, but got no answer. Case maker does make sense, but I've never been able to identify any of them. Most of my Allaines have a T in an inverted triangle, except the ones I think were bought in. But then the Everite I just bought has the inverted triangle T as well. Only seen those marks on Swiss made watches. These are the ones I've got.

large.1642528132_Casemarks.JPG.ad475845893f7f6dbb9c85f5b2c6b351.JPG

Nice little research project for someone I think. 

49 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

:hmmm9uh:those two holes either side of the movement. I guess they are fixtures to hold the movement to the case.. are those correct?

The only one of these I've seen in a working watch was in a Sarcar posted from time to time by Balaton1109. In his photo there's a screw in the left-hand hole, but the right-hand one is empty. Screws get lost I guess. The other thing that might be interesting, though, is the shock protection - looks to me like Ruby Shock, which FHF did use. The watches I can see with that system have "Ruby Shock" on the dial, but maybe those are the only ones Google can find.

5 hours ago, Eaglegale said:

Nice little research project for someone I think. 

I did start making a list of Swiss case maker marks, but it's a long, slow job.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

:hmmm9uh:those two holes either side of the movement. I guess they are fixtures to hold the movement to the case.. are those correct?

I think they would be, but the case this one is in doesn't use screws.  The movement is loose in the case and is just wedged in place when you put the case back on.  

19 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

The watches I can see with that system have "Ruby Shock" on the dial, but maybe those are the only ones Google can find.

In the same vein, I have a Seiko badged as a Kered that says "Shock Protected" rather than "Diashock" on the dial, so if it was described on a website Google wouldn't pick it up as being "Diashock".

Edited by Eaglegale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eaglegale said:

I think they would be, but the case this one is in doesn't use screws.  The movement is loose in the case and is just wedged in place when you put the case back on.  

Seems a little 'hit or miss' by a watch maker to me. Then again, I don't know much about vintage designs. 

I just thought I would point it out because I've seen it before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SolaVeritate said:

Seems a little 'hit or miss' by a watch maker to me. Then again, I don't know much about vintage designs. 

I just thought I would point it out because I've seen it before.

Movement manufacturers would supply a standard ebauches to numerous companies, for them to incorporate into their case designs.

Sometimes to be secured by the holes, you pointed out, with case screws/tabs, others will use tension rings around the movement, or within the case back, which secure the movement when closed.

Very common practice & nothing to be concerned about.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1