• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Omega's Phantom Dive Watch: The New Seamaster Diver 300M Black Black

Not long ago, I introduced to the Forum my new black Kahuna quartz chronograph, which I really like in spite of the disadvantage of being unable to read the watch easily under certain lighting conditions. That watch cost less than £20, so the disadvantage was minimal in terms of hard cash, but what about all-black watches that are considerably more expensive? Indeed, what about Omega’s most recent foray into deepest darkest all-over black, the new Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Black Black? Hopefully, after an evaluation of this model, we will be able to draw some conclusions as to its worth as part of the Seamaster collection. Before taking a look at the characteristics and specifications of the new watch in detail, however, it is important to note that Omega have taken great pains with this model to ensure that legibility is maximised while maintaining the strict parameters of a wholly all-black wristwatch. In pursuit of this goal, Omega have opted for inky black highly resistant ceramic for the construction of the watch as well as the clever use of four different finishes for the ceramic. Indeed, it can be said that every part of the watch that could be rendered in black ceramic is rendered in black ceramic - the ceramic used for this watch is zirconium dioxide, turned from white to black by virtue of iron pigment and then baked at 1,400° Celsius.

2021-Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-Black-Black-210_92_44_20_01.003-hands-on-6-2048x1364.thumb.jpg.de414f2e0421769379e6e337daf3819e.jpg

(Above pic from Monochrome Watches)

The new Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Black Black (ref. 210.92.44.20.01.003) has a 43.5 mm ceramic case and comes in at 14.47 mm thick. The unidirectional bezel is also ceramic, as is the bezel insert which deserves some attention. In order to increase the legibility of the bezel and reduce the tendency for polished ceramic to acquire finger marks, Omega have used laser ablation to produce a grained finish on the insert, combined with indications that are raised in positive relief and polished to enhance contrast. Another innovation in terms of external construction is the use of solid ceramic for the screw-down crown and helium release valve rather than black PVD-coated metal. It has now become possible, through a sophisticated ceramic injection moulding technique, to manufacture and finish such small components in ceramic.

We now move on to the dial of the Seamaster 300M Black Black which once again bears the hallmarks of innovation and the effort to keep the new model legible in poor light. Unusually, the dial is made out of a single piece of ceramic and has no colour addition, so is all black. Apart from the applied black PVD indexes (which are lumed with black anthracite lume that glows blue) all the details on the dial including the wave pattern, lettering and minute track have been created by laser ablation. The skeletonized hands are also anthracite lumed, with the minute hand glowing green instead of blue to match the lumed pip on the bezel. Another feature - or lack thereof - is that there is no date window; a good choice for a watch that is going for the full Monty black look. Note that the background wave pattern on the dial is in positive relief rather than recessed, further enhancing legibility in poor light.

2021-Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-Black-Black-210_92_44_20_01.003-hands-on-7-2048x1364.thumb.jpg.4b65f2d7ee892515f0109fe05eaab918.jpg

(Above Pic from Monochrome Watches)

Omega-Seamaster-300M-Phantom-2-1638x2048.thumb.jpg.9e543badf162b25074b5b192704efd54.jpg

(Above pic from A Blog to Watch)

Coming across the back of the watch gives one a slight jolt of surprise because the movement, visible through the display glass, is rhodium-plated and not black; it is nicely finished with Geneva stripes or waves in arabesque. This 29 mm wide power source is the in-house automatic caliber 8806, regulated by a co-axial escapement and free-sprung balance wheel with a silicon balance spring. The power reserve is 55 hours, from a single barrel, and the movement runs at 25,200 vph; it comes with Master Chronometer certification, which includes resistance to magnetic fields up to 15,000 gauss. Water resistance for the watch is at 300 metres and the caseback is fitted with the NAIAD lock system, ensuring a tight seal and correct positioning of the various inscriptions on the reverse of the watch. Both front and rear crystals are in sapphire.

2021-Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-Black-Black-210_92_44_20_01.003-hands-on-5-2048x1364.thumb.jpg.3cbb6d11c9857bf6744bdebd2bdad91e.jpg

(Above pic from Monochrome Watches)

Omega-Seamaster-300M-Phantom-9-2048x1365.thumb.jpg.357964d1c70f6f36dfe89f707a91e704.jpg

The Seamaster 300 Black Black comes with a black rubber strap fitted with a black ceramic pin buckle. The latest British edition of GQ Magazine has the watch priced at £7,410 from Omega. Other reviews of the watch have it priced at US$8,650 or CHF 8,600.

It is time, finally, to come to some conclusions about the new Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Black Black, and I do have some. I will not dwell on the price of the watch because I am not confident enough to assess the price of this model as against the general Omega pricing structure; I would presume that Omega have looked hard at the market potential of the watch and have also taken into account the complexities involved in the design and manufacture of the model. “Black-out” is probably not the most popular colour for watches; also ceramic is lighter than metal and the feel of the watch on the wrist will differ markedly from the feel of a steel example. That will probably be a positive for some potential purchasers, but a negative for metal watch purists. In terms of quality and finish, there is nothing to indicate that the Seamaster 300 Black Black is anything but impeccable, and I would think that this watch is a tough customer that will take the problems of wear and tear in its stride, aided by the hard and resistant ceramic used in its construction.

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-210_92_44_20_01.003_015.thumb.jpg.a1c7522e0f87629b44028c347ab6f55a.jpg

(Above pic from Fratello Watches)

Omega-Seamaster-300M-Phantom-4.thumb.jpg.e1c33f67715f9a523e16e3ea2cdca0a4.jpg

When it comes to the actual design of this model, I rate it highly and feel that Omega has done a great job in its working of a difficult theme. If one studies all the photographs of the watch online, it does appear that the legibility issue has been surprisingly well-resolved. My one disappointment about the Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Black Black concerns the rubber strap, which I find disappointingly uninspiring, even a bit ugly. It is a shame that Omega did not come up with an all-black ceramic bracelet to complement the watch, and if the strap had to be rubber, it could have been given design cues that work to enhance the whole package aesthetically.

Omega-Seamaster-300M-Phantom-12.thumb.jpg.ecd3f1d2c738ef9a466008a03fabd9df.jpg

• Thanks 2

7 grand and still the He release carbuncle!  :thumbdown:

Other than that (apart from the skeletal hands, the bezel which for some reason looks vaguely yatchmaster'esque to me and the price) it's great. Did I mention the zit at 10 ? 

Pass. I used to really like Omega but now sadly not so much.

I like it, not enough to buy one, but it’s cool to see them experimenting with materials and trying out different things. WatchAdvisor has a good video about this on YouTube. 

better than just being boring Rolex all the time until a new dial colour comes out and all the fan girls wet themselves

Looking at the pin on the buckle, it looks like the ceramic coating is easy to scratch but that may be because the pin wasn't etched properly before it was applied. It would be disappointing to stump up £7k plus and then find that 6 months down the line vulnerable edges are damaged. I do like the look of it though, it has a slightly sinister appearance.

The other thing I don't like is a rubber strap. I have found only one which is really comfortable and that was a Ricoh courtesy of @DaveyP

image.png.18cfb49a8aee7a015aaf2d9dadb2b1f9.png

Edited by chas g
Duplication of photo
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

What it really needs is black lume.  The blue lume just makes it look too much like a watch.

:laugh::laugh:

Good point. Black lume becomes highly visible within 8 miles of a black hole. If I was a space cadet, I'd definitely want one :wink:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Igerswis said:

The He on Omega divers is as iconic as a cyclopse on a Rolex; not everyone is a fan. Personally I hate cyclopse but I do love the He valve on my PO9300 as it makes it look more functional and a tool watch. The PloProf He is integrated as per the Rolex divers though.

True and true. We can agree on the Cyclops then :thumbsup:. I do like the chunky look of the proplof. :yes:.  

I never get into the "blacked out" or "stealthy" look, but with this one I not only dislike the overall look, I much dislike the oddly textured bezel. I get that they were likely going for something specific here, but it just looks cheesy to me, like those spinnaker dials. 

• 4 weeks later...