• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

WRUW for Friday, today?

1 hour ago, AVO said:

Also worth remembering that the double-barred cross was a symbol of the mediaeval Jagiellonian dynasty, therefore common throughout Lithuania and the Baltic states, Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary. Perhaps something to do with one of those countries’ forces in exile? Just a hunch that might be worth following up?

Again, thanks for your input.

All known Countries, Religions/Sects, Groups/Organisations, known to have adopted this symbol (or similar) I’ve looked into, several times, still nothing definitive.

What’s even more confusing is that there’s a Colomby Watch Co, registered (1955) in New York, as an importer of Swiss watches. There are numerous Colomby timepieces around that clearly pre-date 1950!

Sometimes you have to accept, particularly with old tat, you may never attain true & accurate attribution.

For me it’s all part of the fascination, more importantly...the fun!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Karrusel said:

1940's COLOMBY.

Cal: FEF 150-1 (with military modification), 17 jewel.

8egjJh5.jpg

JBAGJnI.jpg

Due to the dial insignia, Cross of Lorraine, had originally assumed this was a Free French Forces timepiece.

Now, after further research, I'm not so sure?

US Military Medical Corps is possibly a candidate?

:hmmm9uh: 

Nice. Makes me think of the @daveyboyz post regarding refurbishing the dial of a watch. The patina on the dial is excellent and it would be interesting to know its history. The dial says the watch is waterproof which makes me wonder how the dial got what I would call "dusty".

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scottswatches said:

2021-09-10_09-37-54

One of the top three watches I have ever owned in terms of how much I like it, even if I didn't clean the glass before I snapped this photo

Awesome. If I ever swap my 6B MK3 it'll be for one of these (the smaller model) or a Breitling AVI.

The type 20 design is an absolute classic 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, chas g said:

Nice. Makes me think of the @daveyboyz post regarding refurbishing the dial of a watch. The patina on the dial is excellent and it would be interesting to know its history. The dial says the watch is waterproof which makes me wonder how the dial got what I would call "dusty".

Without periodic new seals / gaskets it is unlikely to remain waterproof, and the gasket faces themselves can be subject to corrosion and need re-facing, even some 'stainless' steels.  If looking for a vintage watch that may have remained water-tight, or could me made so again, I have heard Seiko stainless watches are one of the better bets.  I am guessing modern polymers may be better at ageing than vintage gaskets.  Some vintage waterproof designs (Tauberts I think) used cork sleeves for the stem seal, although it was called something else to make it sound technical.  Supercork or something :laughing2dw:  "Now with added Teknacork!'

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Interesting tip I learned about the 6139 was to always keep the chrono running to relieve stress on the clutch spring, so running it is :)

Apparently it is wise to stop the chrono now and again to prevent another problem with the chronograph wheel (which is in two parts) - I came across this a while back when I was reading up on the Speedmaster Professional, but the advice below relates to the Seiko 6139 (since a comparison was being sought):

"If you constantly leave the [6139] chronograph running, there is a chance that the chronograph wheel's 2 parts will seize together ... for the vintage Seiko's these are discontinued and getting hard to find. If you want to run it most of the time that's fine, just make sure you run it with the chronograph stopped every so often to keep the two parts separate"  

https://omegaforums.net/threads/constant-running-chrono-on-speedy-pro.52501/

HAGD

16 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

Panerai this afternoon out with the dog.

2021-09-10_03-10-02

Great presence!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chas g said:

Thank you.

There was certainly no loose contamination in the watch when I purchased it.

This was probably due to the secure Borgel type case arrangement (you can see this in the movement image).

My dear watchmaking friend, who looks after all my tat, felt the dial staining was a result of previous over oiling, as their was no evidence of corrosion.

Right, well, I never got round to posting the Talis I've been wearing all day, and then something else arrived that required my attention. This Corvette Electronic turned up on a strap that looked like it had been chewed by a dog, filthy crystal, case splashed with paint and apparently not working. Turned out there's an FHF-badged ESA 961.001 movement inside and all it needed was the battery strap tightening up. Brasso wadding, Polywatch and a new strap sorted the rest. There's no second hand, but the minute hand visibly moves every 10 seconds or so. I'm pretty sure this would have been sold by Louis Braham as Corvette by Avia.

large.685E316B-502A-4C8E-A3C6-CFABA6543E77.jpeg.d02531ba56204b77c4a1706d362d4248.jpeg

large.movement2.jpg.6824988a78f1379b2ee92dcd13de7d3c.jpglarge.movement1.jpg.3cb7e38382460a5c904f6e4cebb6794e.jpg

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Right, well, I never got round to posting the Talis I've been wearing all day, and then something else arrived that required my attention. This Corvette Electronic turned up on a strap that looked like it had been chewed by a dog, filthy crystal, case splashed with paint and apparently not working. Turned out there's an FHF-badged ESA 961.001 movement inside and all it needed was the battery strap tightening up. Brasso wadding, Polywatch and a new strap sorted the rest. There's no second hand, but the minute hand visibly moves every 10 seconds or so. I'm pretty sure this would have been sold by Louis Braham as Corvette by Avia.

large.685E316B-502A-4C8E-A3C6-CFABA6543E77.jpeg.d02531ba56204b77c4a1706d362d4248.jpeg

Well done, Sir!

Very satisfying when you bring one back to life.

• Thanks 1