• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

WRUW for Friday, today?

Probably my new Pierpont manual wind but might be the Ventus Mori instead, I've not decided yet. My first proper week back at work (with students & everything) in the best part of 18 months & I'm definitely ready for the weekend.

Have a good weekend all :thumbs_up:

20210908_182037.jpg

20210606_192341.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
To remove a random full stop!
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Due to the dial insignia, Cross of Lorraine, had originally assumed this was a Free French Forces timepiece.

Now, after further research, I'm not so sure?

US Military Medical Corps is possibly a candidate?

I thought the USMC used the Caduceus? Did they use the Croix de Lorraine as well? One American unit that did was the 79th Infantry Division.

The Cross usually, but not always, has the upper cross-beam shorter. Certainly on the FF flag. 

Fascinating!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Thanks Steve, this is what has always haunted me, & necessitating further research.

As you say, fascinating!

Also worth remembering that the double-barred cross was a symbol of the mediaeval Jagiellonian dynasty, therefore common throughout Lithuania and the Baltic states, Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary. Perhaps something to do with one of those countries’ forces in exile? Just a hunch that might be worth following up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, at last the Vostok Komandirskie has arrived and therefore it is first day on Parade. From my thread yesterday "Incoming" it seems there are differing views on the dial colour, some liking it some not so sure. If I'm totally honest I was expecting a green dial but i think that the final outcome came down to my ignorance of Russian and some confusing emailsdoh.gif.bf6719253a73b338fdf5ef877a807aee.gif . Nevertheless the red is growing on me. Last night was the first night I've ever slept with a Russian and I wasn't disappointed :)) The watch is quite striking and is also quite "lumpy" but then again I do like to feel that I've got a watch on my wrist! It sits quite comfortably on my wrist although it is quite deep at 15mm. It is easy to read and the "lum" although not as bold as some watches was evident. I'm still not sure about the bracelet? I think I need to consider other alternatives so any suggestions would be welcomed. For a sub £50 watch this is a nice bit of kit and it will get good wear I've no doubt?

IMG_2767.thumb.jpg.32c828e65fdf1470029bb6a39cb9ef84.jpg IMG_2770.thumb.jpg.7900da30609f81e4e92004d31f1d32ef.jpg

IMG_2768.thumb.jpg.dbb5c00b81d2344ef33dffe622e72577.jpg

HAVE A GREAT DAY ALLRrre.gif.8fc43b56db504516dcbc59d4403b297d.gif

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Last night was the first night I've ever slept with a Russian and I wasn't disappointed

Not sure if this means you haven't slept with a Russian previously or if you have but it's always been disappointing?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Eaglegale said:

Today I am mostly wearing my 1958 (or thereabouts) French Kered.  One of the first Kereds I ever bought, and the only engraved one.  Very useful when trying to date a watch!  Dial sections change contrast as you move, which is cool.

Medomsley-Kered-2.jpg

Medomsley-Kered-1.jpg

Medomsley-Kered-3.jpg

A superb looking watch if I may say so clap2.gif.163613319338e73d731606260048fbca.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1