• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

One watch time is nigh......

bdalg1

So following on from my last post about a one watch collection, I am about to embark on the challenge!!

I became disillusioned with having so many watches that I never wore....so I sold them all!!!

I have been researching the perfect One Watch for me....not for anyone else but for me!!

I have narrowed my search to the three below and would love your opinions on them......

I dont mind quartz (less servicing costs) and am not too bothered by price (they are all affordable for me) and I like them all for different reasons.

The Omega SMP.....well its an Omega SMP!!

The Tudor Black Bay 41 is a classic, hassle free, beautiful watch....which also a strap monster so could be changed to match any situation.

The Grand Seiko is different, lovely to look at and (in my opinion) at a quality point way above most other manufacturers. Oh and its a GMT for travelling!!

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-210.30.42.20.Black-Bay-41-Blue.jpg

sbgn021-c_1400x.jpg?v=1624329569

Seamaster hands down. Also consider the Planet Ocean 39.5. Can be had for the same price as the 300m pre owned and fits better on a smaller wrist

i tried the GS at the weekend and it was a nice piece but the bracelet isn’t on the same level as Omega 

Oh also the GS, wears a bit flat on my wrist because of the case shape so try before you buy if you already haven’t

Tudor.

There's something about Tudor (the brand) that I don't like but can't quite put my finger on it but thats just me and my mad thoughts.

But out of the 3 above, the Tudor holds the most elegance. I feel it would fit into more wardrobe combinations than the other two. 

I hope your biggest thought isn't looks and wardrobe considerations, I hope it is comfort. If you have just the one watch, it better be comfortable if it is to be there for a long time.

• Agree 2

Not the three I'd personally shortlist in this scenario but three very fine watches, so I guess you can't really go wrong.

I would feel that of those, under a one watch basis, the Tudor would be the pick, because in my mind a smart sports watch can be dressed up or down, where as the (lovely) Omega would to me look like a statement of "I know it doesn't work in this environment but it's the only watch I have" if paired with a suit at a wedding or a funeral.

Same (but to a slightly lesser extent) with the GS. 

Whilst on the flip side, the Tudor would still not look out of place if you're wearing jeans and a t-shirt or your gym gear (whilst the other two would work better in those scenario's, the Tudor looks less out of place there than they do at the funeral :laughing2dw: imo).

So purely for the versatility, I'd lean towards the Tudor.

If I was keeping a collection and had the opportunity to ADD one of those three, I'd be giving a different answer and going Omega.

Edited by Bricey
  • Agree 1

I am slightly biased, since I am the proud owner of a quartz GS. Perhaps not surprisingly therefore, that would be my selection from those three.

If the Omega didn't have skeleton hands, and the Tudor didn't have snowflake hands, the competition would be closer.

Just my tuppence worth!

• Agree 2

The seamaster is the perfect balance for an everyday watch.   I have owned a few of them and I can't do without one.   You never need to remove it... it works well in all environments and I feel its a quality thing without making you a target or being pretentious.

I was going to say the SMP, it's a no-brainer - until I scrolled down and saw the GS. That GS would make a wonderful one watch collection, IMHO. It's toolish but elegant enough to work with a suit, build quality and finish are outstanding, and it's astonishingly good looking. 

36 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

mmm tough choice, my first choice would be the omega ( but not that one ) my second choice would be the GS ( but not that one) my third choice would be tudor ( but not that one )

hope helps :laugh::sadwalk:

dean.m

nintchdbpict000003829292.jpg

"Not that one!"

• Haha 3

The pick of the watches there, for me at least, is the Omega  --  because GS always come across to me as just a little bit "soulless"

However, I wouldn't choose the SMP as an "only" watch because of the rotating bezel (which don't dress up so well)  --  and the lack of which is IMHO the only redeeming feature of the Tudor in this company.

I'd go off your radar slightly to get an Aqua Terra . . . .

Either this:

I6aMzpY.jpg

Or (personal foible, I'm smitten with the "small second" format) this:

KjoQiqz.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, bdalg1 said:

So following on from my last post about a one watch collection, I am about to embark on the challenge!!

I became disillusioned with having so many watches that I never wore....so I sold them all!!!

I have been researching the perfect One Watch for me....not for anyone else but for me!!

I have narrowed my search to the three below and would love your opinions on them......

I dont mind quartz (less servicing costs) and am not too bothered by price (they are all affordable for me) and I like them all for different reasons.

The Omega SMP.....well its an Omega SMP!!

The Tudor Black Bay 41 is a classic, hassle free, beautiful watch....which also a strap monster so could be changed to match any situation.

The Grand Seiko is different, lovely to look at and (in my opinion) at a quality point way above most other manufacturers. Oh and its a GMT for travelling!!

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-210.30.42.20.Black-Bay-41-Blue.jpg

sbgn021-c_1400x.jpg?v=1624329569

No to the seiko for sure. I do not at all care for colored metal bezels. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the watch. And this sharp edges on the case just don't look good too me. 

The SMP is hard to beat, but honestly I'd go speedy way before I go Seamaster. I never loved the goofy wave patterned dial of these, or that annoying crown at 10 o'clock. You dive? Do it! You don't? Don't!

Of them all my choice would be the BB41. No fuss on the dial, super clean and classic look with those perfectly recognizable and respected Snowflake hands. It both blend in yet stands apart from the crowd at the same time. Clear winner to me!

5 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

it works well in all environments and I feel its a quality thing without making you a target or being pretentious.

Not with that 10 o'clock crown!

Edited by JayDeep

3 hours ago, yokel said:

I'd go off your radar slightly to get an Aqua Terra . . . .

+1 for an Aqua Terra as a "one watch" choice, I can't imagine a circumstance or outfit (that I'd agree to subject myself to) that it wouldn't fit in perfectly with, from my poshest to my slobbiest it would stillborn spot on imo.

Out of the watches you have shown I would pick either the Omega or the Tudor but definitely not the Grand Seiko.  The Seiko just does not look special at all and the placement of the date window for me is not great.  It just looks drab up against the other two.

Like others have said though, an Aqua terra would be well worth a look at. They come in so many variety's as well and pretty much fulfil the one watch do it all criteria. 

The more I look at that Tudor the more I like it. Over time I have grown to like the hands on these and the big chunky crown really finishes it off nicely for me. I keep looking at it and it keeps looking at me........

• Haha 1

The only stand out watch for me is the seamaster. The Tudor is a bit bland and looks like it wants to be something a bit better.  The GS is a good looking watch, but doesn't quite seem to know what it's meant to be - not one thing nor the other. The Seamaster ticks every box and has real presence.   

• Agree 1