• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hublot big bang

chas g

2 hours ago, Karrusel said:

A presumptuous statement, IMO!

For you, what constitutes a ‘decent’ watch?

:)

I can see your float bobbing on the water :yes:

Surprised there weren't any responses from Gshock devotees which to me are similar and a tad more affordable 

• Haha 1

I'd like this one. 

Hublot-Classic-Fusion-Chronograph-Chelse

Glitzy launch as well - all for 100 watches. Apart from the perfectly decent Hublot classic fusion entry level range, a lot of the Big Bang series are LE's, often employing cutting edge technology.  I have seen @Igerswis Hublot in the flesh and it really is something, an impressive piece of kit.   

Edited by Caller.

4 hours ago, chas g said:

I will go back to my original quest for a watch which is as common as muck with a better pedigree but an inflated price. 

Oh dear, perhaps you had better get the Hublot. That would at least show strength of character :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, chas g said:

Having read up a bit this morning it would appear that the movements Hublot use can be found in watches selling for a fraction of the price.

Are you calling Hamilton, Certina and Tissot cheap?  :hmmm9uh::nono:

1 hour ago, Caller. said:

I'd like this one. 

Hublot-Classic-Fusion-Chronograph-Chelse

Glitzy launch as well - all for 100 watches. Apart from the perfectly decent Hublot classic fusion entry level range, a lot of the Big Bang series are LE's, often employing cutting edge technology.  I have seen @Igerswis Hublot in the flesh and it really is something, an impressive piece of kit.   

Yes. I like that one too. One of the criticisms of the big bang is the number of "limited editions". Downside of buying something very different is the risk of going off it and then having to sell a watch with a limited market. I did just that with a yellow dial Breitling which I went off quite quickly.

1 hour ago, yokel said:

Oh dear, perhaps you had better get the Hublot. That would at least show strength of character :thumbsup:

I have no idea how much Hamilton, Certina or Tissot watches cost. Just regurgitating what I had read about Hublot.

I am not sure what I will get next. The price of the Audemar I previously posted being sold by Watch club has  dropped to £9850. Very nice but its too dressy for me. Probably go for the watch I keep looking at, in steel and gold with a blue dial, which is a safer choice. Another watch that seems to get a bad press because of its image and premium price.Thankfully I am in no rush.

I quite like the watch the OP posted. Saying that I have grown quite fond of Hublot as a brand. Not too bothered about some of their more wild offerings but the more restrained watches in the looks department look pretty cool. They definitely have a certain Hublot identity about them also which I like. You can just tell its a Hublot from the styling. I even quite like the colours of the watch in the original post. The only thing I don't like is the 4:30 date. Just looks a bit of an afterthought. I would say go for it with a fresh service and the great thing is you wont see many on the wrists of other people which is nice.

23 hours ago, Igerswis said:

LVMH purchased Zenith a while ago to get their technical knowledge of movements and it shows in their in-house Tag’s and Hublot.

But why would estate agents (TAG wearers) and estate agents bosses (Hublot wearers) be interested in movements? :hmmm9uh::partytime:

23 hours ago, chas g said:

I will go back to my original quest for a watch which is as common as muck with a better pedigree but an inflated price. 

So, any current Seiko then? :yes:

:laugh::laugh:

18 hours ago, yokel said:

I think the correct term is 'entry level' :tongue::biggrin:

I will now retire to my bunker for the afternoon, as I can hear the air-raid siren starting up...

:laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

But why would estate agents (TAG wearers) and estate agents bosses (Hublot wearers) be interested in movements? :hmmm9uh::partytime:

So, any current Seiko then? :yes:

My Seiko days are over, the last one died after 11 months with a bent crown spindle which they said was caused by me having  dropped it.

1 hour ago, Roxyben said:

I quite like the watch the OP posted. Saying that I have grown quite fond of Hublot as a brand. Not too bothered about some of their more wild offerings but the more restrained watches in the looks department look pretty cool. They definitely have a certain Hublot identity about them also which I like. You can just tell its a Hublot from the styling. I even quite like the colours of the watch in the original post. The only thing I don't like is the 4:30 date. Just looks a bit of an afterthought. I would say go for it with a fresh service and the great thing is you wont see many on the wrists of other people which is nice.

I wouldn't buy without seeing it and it's 200 miles away in leafy Cheshire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

I'd rather be called cheap than entry level. :laughing2dw:

Cheap = cheerful

Entry level = a brand positioning paradigm aligning the price point with the market dynamic, minimising input costs, factoring in aspirational motivations and attitudes, creating sufficient (volume) desire for products of mediocre specification to generate sustainable margins for both manufacturer and retailer, with the added benefit of creating commensurate levels of post-purchase dissatisfaction motivating purchaser desire to acquire higher-priced, next level, substitute/alternative products at the next purchase opportunity. :thumbsup:

Ka-ching.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Everythings 'entry level' c'mon.

Go on somebody, lets see something close to a £million and then talk about entry level £20,000 watches.

Yeah yeah.. £10,000 Rolex.. oh please.. show me an Urwerk or a Dubuis and talk about 'entry level'. Sell one of these and you can buy a holiday home in Spain. 

Given comparison.. everythings 'entry level'.

The big question is.. are you still having fun collecting watches or is it all about the money?

9 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Everythings 'entry level' c'mon.

Go on somebody, lets see something close to a £million and then talk about entry level £20,000 watches.

Yeah yeah.. £10,000 Rolex.. oh please.. show me an Urwerk or a Dubuis and talk about 'entry level'. Sell one of these and you can buy a holiday home in Spain. 

The big question is.. are you still having fun collecting watches or is it all about the money?

It's not about the money, I can't think of a worse financial investment than watches. I have lost money on every single watch I have ever had. My current favourites are my Frank Muller and Meistersinger. I would be pushed to decide which of them I would keep if I could only have one. I am enjoying collecting watches again but any I buy now I want to be special and different. The cheaper the better, expensive watches are a liability.

Edited by chas g
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

Cheap = cheerful

Entry level = a brand positioning paradigm aligning the price point with the market dynamic, minimising input costs, factoring in aspirational motivations and attitudes, creating sufficient (volume) desire for products of mediocre specification to generate sustainable margins for both manufacturer and retailer, with the added benefit of creating commensurate levels of post-purchase dissatisfaction motivating purchaser desire to acquire higher-priced, next level, substitute/alternative products at the next purchase opportunity. :thumbsup:

Ka-ching.

You've been watching @ BlagToWatch again, haven't you. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chas g said:

I can't think of a worse financial investment than watches

Not many buy them as an investment but they can give many years of pleasure. They will probably lose money over a number of years but you can lose money faster by buying a new car every 2 - 3 years. You could spend the equivalent of a Rolex on a family holiday but you could sell the Rolex - can't sell your holiday memories.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Yes and no.  It depends what you want to enter...if you pardon the expression :blush:

There's entry level for radio controlled quartz, there's entry level for any mechanical/automatics, there's entry level for Swiss mechanical/autos, there's entry level for specific brands - ie the least expensive VC or Moser, etc., but I don't think the term can be applied simply to prices.

I can't see how £10k Submariner could in any way be described as entry level, because what is it an entry to?  Is, for example, a BB58 at a quarter of the price really any less of a watch?  The submariner doesn't have an unique specification, if fact it's ubiquitous, as are its myriad homages many of whom do an equally accurate job of telling the time.  It's not an entry level to the holy trinity, because Rolex is not in the holy trinity.  It's not even the cheapest, sorry, 'entry level', Rolex to the Rolex brand.

So, no it's not all about money, quite the opposite for me.  I think I've been consistent in my view that even if I had the money (and necessary connections) for a submariner, I wouldn't want one because of the associations it has.  I'm not interested in tradable positional goods and apart from anything else I find it rather boring. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

So, yes, for me it MUST be about fun, about differences and uniqueness, that unusual case shape, that spectacular dial, those peculiar hands...there's plenty of fun to be had in the cheap = cheerful seats. :thumbsup:

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, chas g said:

It's not about the money, I can't think of a worse financial investment than watches. I have lost money on every single watch I have ever had. My current favourites are my Frank Muller and Meistersinger. I would be pushed to decide which of them I would keep if I could only have one. I am enjoying collecting watches again but any I buy now I want to be special and different. The cheaper the better, expensive watches are a liability.

I know it's sensible to consider resale value as you collect, and that many esteemed members here keep accurate track of their gains and losses, but I cannot work up any interest at all in the subject.

IMHO, as you say, there are much better ways to make money than trading in watches (sorry Scott)  --  so, at least I, collect for the pleasure of it.

Of course, if you disregard resale value, you are able to collect slightly "left field" brands like Hublot, Muller, or (for that matter) Grossmann if those float your boat.

I would say, if you like Hublot (this one or another) you should not let our slight disdain inhibit you. Go for it Sir.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RTM Boy said:

Yes and no.  It depends what you want to enter...if you pardon the expression :blush:

There's entry level for radio controlled quartz, there's entry level for any mechanical/automatics, there's entry level for Swiss mechanical/autos, there's entry level for specific brands - ie the least expensive VC or Moser, etc., but I don't think the term can be applied simply to prices.

I can't see how £10k Submariner could in any way be described as entry level, because what is it an entry to?  Is, for example, a BB58 at a quarter of the price really any less of a watch?  The submariner doesn't have an unique specification, if fact it's ubiquitous, as are its myriad homages many of whom do an equally accurate job of telling the time.  It's not an entry level to the holy trinity, because Rolex is not in the holy trinity.  It's not even the cheapest, sorry, 'entry level', Rolex to the Rolex brand.

So, no it's not all about money, quite the opposite for me.  I think I've been consistent in my view that even if I had the money (and necessary connections) for a submariner, I wouldn't want one because of the associations it has.  I'm not interested in tradable positional goods and apart from anything else I find it rather boring. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

So, yes, for me it MUST be about fun, about differences and uniqueness, that unusual case shape, that spectacular dial, those peculiar hands...there's plenty of fun to be had in the cheap = cheerful seats. :thumbsup:

Having had 3 rolex in the past, explorer 2 and 2 GMT2s, I think they are very competent watches. Good time keepers, very comfortable and the micro adjustment on the bracelet is excellent. The micro adjustment takes care of hot/cold weather perfectly and takes seconds to do. Good resale value. The build quality is good and I found that the knightsbridge rolex centre provided a very good service at a reasonable cost but.........to me they aren't exciting but thats how I feel about most watches. I love my Meistersinger and Frank Muller, I think they are both beautiful athough the big difference in cost. I would still have another Rolex but trying to buy from an AD appears impossible and the grey market the mark up on rrp is not really acceptable. 

1875588335_20210807_1245432.thumb.jpg.fcd1b03b7a6947265239a3e760cf9e48.jpg2076525984_20210517_1539322.thumb.jpg.b4e127b65d874a5ceadad16fbaa4850e.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

:hmmm9uh:

Its kinda funny when rich fools buy ugly items and try to justify quality and taste by refering to cost and exclusivity. 

Personally, I try to encourage such behaviour as a good laugh is priceless.

A strange thing to say isn't it? Why would someone spending their own money on something of their choice affect any aspect of your life?

A forum is based on people's experiences and opinions. But there are still rules to follow to keep things civilized. Some members on here seem to forget that.

• Like 1