• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

One for those that like something a little different

Bricey

Nope. 

The same design is beginning to be regurgitated on other watches. Its being sold as everything from an altimeter watch (tokyoflash) right down to the lesser brands on AliX. 

I must admit the movement of these look cool but everyone and anyone is on this movement like flys (every price from £300 to £15).

Watch a video of it though, its cool how it works.

https://tokyoflash.com/products/altimeter-revolving-watch

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, SolaVeritate said:

Nope. 

The same design is beginning to be regurgitated on other watches. Its being sold as everything from an altimeter watch (tokyoflash) right down to the lesser brands on AliX. 

I must admit the movement of these look cool but everyone and anyone is on this movement like flys (every price from £300 to £15).

Yip 100% ditto this. ^^^

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Monaque said:

I do like these style of watches, A Lange do one called the Zeitwerk, (I know a bit different and very expensive). I like the Morphic but it's very large but pretty cheap.

IMHO the Zeitwerk is the best example of the principle "just because you can do something, doesn't necessarily mean that you should". A clockwork digital is just crazily mechanically inefficient :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yokel said:

IMHO the Zeitwerk is the best example of the principle "just because you can do something, doesn't necessarily mean that you should". A clockwork digital is just crazily mechanically inefficient :(

But probably makes them quite a lot of money. :wink:

And anyway, isn't the very art of watchmaking essentially at the core of that definition. It's art on a wrist, wearable art. We tell time much more effectively with our mobile phones. Wearing a watch is fun, or fashion, but not really about telling time, not anymore.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Monaque said:

not anymore.

It is for me. I can't be bothered with a phone, a car, or anything else displaying the time in my face for that matter. Unsurprisingly most of my friends feel the same. If I didn't need a watch to tell the time, I wouldn't bother wearing one. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

It is for me. I can't be bothered with a phone, a car, or anything else displaying the time in my face for that matter. Unsurprisingly most of my friends feel the same. If I didn't need a watch to tell the time, I wouldn't bother wearing one. :)

Fair enough. I'll be honest and say I use my phone for telling time, also reading books, and as an alarm, but hardly ever as a phone :laugh: My interest in watches pretty much stems from my interests in both art and engineering. I hardly ever actually wear a watch, which may surprise people considering my interest in horology.

35 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Really?

I must have been doing something wrong all these years then.

:)

:laugh:

On 25/09/2021 at 22:55, SolaVeritate said:

Nope. 

What about a movement like this:

Screenshot_20211003-223140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.16201964fd08f698c24961b8ee96b3ac.jpg

Looks strange, different and interesting (let's not discuss their price point :laughing2dw:)

https://www.devonworks.com/tread-1-product-page

27 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Screenshot_20211003-223140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.16201964fd08f698c24961b8ee96b3ac.jpg

Looks strange, different and interesting (let's not discuss their price point :laughing2dw:)

I've seen those. I love weird designs. They make collections interesting. I know people look to try and find that perfect watch or collect movements or a watch for every activity but I just try to find watches that make me smile and mix them into my watch box. 

Not everything is strange though. I have Seikos, Accurists etc too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bricey said:

I like the Devon watches too but they are pretty large, too large for the likes of me. I do like innovation, experimentation, trying new ideas. Whether it works or not it brings in something fresh.