• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Different qualities of steel

JayDeep

2 hours ago, chas g said:

Thanks. You certainly stirred some memories. Face centre cubic and hexagonal close packed structure - one magnetic and the other not magnetic. I remember in lab work staring at etched samples through a microscope and I could see absolutely nothing. Structure, what structure? For the sake of getting the write up done I just made it all up and pretended I could see what eluded me :yes:

It's not the first time I've pretended to be a metallurgist either. 

I couldn't even spell ferritic or martensitic. 

:biggrin:

I got caught out big time out on a rig in the Gulf, our company won a contract in Qatar to go and evaluate some fire damage on a rig out in the Gulf but we were a man short of a full team. My Boss stuck his head in the office door, Bond what are you doing next week so to make up the numbers I was in under strict orders to keep my mouth shut and try and look as if I knew what I was doing. Flew to Qatar proper first class up the front of the plane no expense spared, shipped out to the rig and when we got there the bloke that was running the show was from Middlesbrough, back in the day he used to be a welding engineer in one of the local rig yards and had used our local testing facility fairly regularly. He remembered me instantly. 

"What the f*ck are you doing here"

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I thought Rolex were formed from that rare stainless alloy "Materialistic".

:laughing2dw:

Back in the day I bought mine because contrary to today's popular view they were reasonably affordable, tough as old boots and do exactly what they say on the tin for 30 or 40 years and some. 

But those that know...... know

:wink:

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

Back in the day I bought mine because contrary to today's popular view they were reasonably affordable, tough as old boots and do exactly what they say on the tin for 30 or 40 years and some. 

But those that know...... know

:wink:

From memory my old Explorer cost around £65. Compared with the latest one, it was nothing special other than being a decent watch that cost a bit more than the rest. It looked a lot better than the current one though.

Ive had many O & W's over the years, all stainless cases, but one stood out more than the rest, because within a day of wearing it my wrist would break out in a weeping rash, that would take about a month to heal. 

3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

From memory my old Explorer cost around £65. Compared with the latest one, it was nothing special other than being a decent watch that cost a bit more than the rest. It looked a lot better than the current one though.

Fair comment but as an example Big M's daughter has just bought a new shack about 50 yards from where I used to lived, she can look out her window and see my old house, for £270K, back in the day I paid £65K for mine. 

In a world of £40/50K family school run motors £10K watches are a drop in the ocean and relatively in the overall scheme of things, if that's your bag, small change. 

It's a funny old world 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

However Rolex certainly does like to claim the SS it uses in cases is in some way proprietary, not least by calling it 'Oystersteel'.  Specifically Rolex claims on its website;

"That is why Rolex uses Oystersteel, a steel alloy specific to the brand. Oystersteel belongs to the 904L steel family, which is particularly resistant to corrosion and acquires an exceptional sheen when polished."

See here; https://www.rolex.com/about-rolex-watches/materials.html

Of course 904L is not a "family" at all (the first untruth), it's composition is specified clearly under the ISO15510:2010 standard, as I mentioned earlier.  So, it is either is 904L or it is not 904L.  Therefore Rolex is either falsely stating 'Oystersteel' is 904L when in fact they've changed the composition in some way (note that they don't say how), or it is falsely implying that the composition of 'Oystersteel' is in any way different to that of 904L when it is in fact identical, one and the same, and not "specific to the brand" at all.

It must be one or the other.

That's a bit naughty, but very interesting to read.

There are some things that we see all the time that we know and accept as marketing hyperbole and stretching of truths,  but that is just a blatant lie in order to misrepresent the material used.

4 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

Don't even get me started on their ridiculous claims to the term "Broadarrow"! 

I, for one, would love you to get started in the term Broadarrow, I love reading these things.

I'm here for two things, learning silly things about watches and nob jokes, and I'm about out of nob jokes (just kidding, I've got one).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Fair comment but as an example Big M's daughter has just bought a new shack about 50 yards from where I used to lived, she can look out her window and see my old house, for £270K, back in the day I paid £65K for mine. 

In a world of £40/50K family school run motors £10K watches are a drop in the ocean and relatively in the overall scheme of things, if that's your bag, small change. 

It's a funny old world 

I can see the first house I bought in Ruislip from my rat hole. It's a small 2 bed timber framed terraced house with garage in a block. I paid £30k in 1985 (sold it for £90k in 1990) and today it would sell for about £400k. Biggest mistake I ever made was moving down from Cheshire where houses are good value. The only benefit is that when I sell my house it will pay for more years in a care home.

I think Rolex are expensive but still relatively affordable at rrp.

Edited by chas g
Spelling error