• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Making my first watch thread.

Daveyboyz

I had to swap from phone to tablet to see the little holes. Pretty impressed with your manual dexterity - I realised I was holding my breath while you were picking up one of the hands !!

It's great being able to see the watch build progress. Looking forward to the next video :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I received my dentist drill today, the thing has no plug or foot control so its a bit useless but the head works so I can switch it with the broken head on my mates one.

I have also been thinking about many aspects of this.   I have written a long list of more stuff I will buy (tools and materials) I am going to get rid of the copper layer and switch for a silver ring that I am going to make in the same way as the bezel, I am then going to add claws which will hold the dial in a similar fashion to setting a stone.   This means it can be disassembled and reassembled without solder (and thus the dial can be kept free of tarnish and accessible to polish.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

I received my dentist drill today, the thing has no plug or foot control so its a bit useless but the head works so I can switch it with the broken head on my mates one.

I have also been thinking about many aspects of this.   I have written a long list of more stuff I will buy (tools and materials) I am going to get rid of the copper layer and switch for a silver ring that I am going to make in the same way as the bezel, I am then going to add claws which will hold the dial in a similar fashion to setting a stone.   This means it can be disassembled and reassembled without solder (and thus the dial can be kept free of tarnish and accessible to polish.)

That sounds like a good idea. Less chance of frying a quartz movement.

24 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Small steps forwards.

Fiddly to say the least. Wouldn't it be easier to have a magnifier lamp on a stand so you can see better what you are doing?

I liked the way you turned the crown wheel anticlockwise to find the start of the thread on the stem to stop cross threading it.

Another interesting video:thumbsup:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chas g said:

I liked the way you turned the crown wheel anticlockwise to find the start of the thread on the stem to stop cross threading it.

I did that purely on instinct :-)

As to magnification.   I have always had 20/20 vision, even despite squinting at hallmarks for many years though I do have a loop and I do need it occasionally these days.  I am fast approaching the age where I might be purchasing one of those headbands that have a magnifier on a hinge..    for the time being I figure if its too small to see I don't want to see it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know yet.... the hours stack up pretty quick, especially while working things out as I go along and needing to keep going for pieces of equipment and materials.

I am not spending days sitting at the bench but just an hour here or there but I know some rings I made took up to about 25 hours and there seems an equal amount of work in this. 

• Like 1

On 19/10/2021 at 19:45, chas g said:

Yes, that is a common way to 'find' the start of a single start thread.

11 hours ago, JRParker said:

How many hours go into building a watch like this? Ive never tried but am curious

A lot - have to agree with @Daveyboyz, time almost literally flies.

1 hour ago, Monaque said:

A lot - have to agree with @Daveyboyz, time almost literally flies.

Building guitars.. I would close the door behind me and my alcohol, turn the sounds up high and just build until either the alcohol ran out or I was finished building. 19 times out of 20 the alcohol would run out first and it was 6 hours later.

:yes: :crazy5vh:

10 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Building guitars.. I would close the door behind me and my alcohol, turn the sounds up high and just build until either the alcohol ran out or I was finished building. 19 times out of 20 the alcohol would run out first and it was 6 hours later.

Ha, nice. True about the time, and it's a nice feeling, getting lost in something so completely that time loses its grip on you.

23 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Just like me on the lathe - except for the alcohol - I can easily lose a day in the garage whilst working on it (much to my wife's annoyance) :laugh:

I missed the start of this thread when I was on holiday, but have since caught up. I have to say I’m in awe of anyone who can make stuff like this. Looking forward to seeing the finished product, but I won’t comment further on the making and assembly processes since I would be talking out of my @r$3!. Well done!

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by your design. I would never have thought to make a watch this way, and you certainly aren't following common modern practice.

I buy propane for my forge and argon for my Tig from my local calor gas company. They allow you to pay for the bottle, so there isn't a rental charge. I have never asked about oxygen.

Really coming along now, you can see a definite shape to it all.

We use Oxy and Propane at work, quite a large bottle of Oxy, but our other torch uses air straight from the compressor. Both have their uses. But yours will need a much smaller bottle I think.

Not done much as waiting for the new week to try and source my gas and oxygen bottles.

I was thinking however, last night, that this idea with the detachable lugs and one piece strap has some drawbacks.

Firstly the liability of it coming off the wrist, box catches are known to start off tight but loosen up with use.

Secondly having no adjustment in the strap it needs to be just right and if I gain or lose weight (we often need to loosen a notch in warm weather) I can't simply let it out.

While I think I can do this, space within the case is limited and the thinner I make it the less good the catches will be (generally less than 5mm becomes a very delicate operations since cutting 2mm out each side leaves 1mm material attaching the button to operate the catch (every jeweller has different methods of creating these things so maybe you can't visualise)

Also I was thinking without this added complexity I get to create a watch buckle instead. 

So I am slightly having a rethink about what I'd like to do.   Even though my first idea is a novelty its sometimes hard to beat the tried and tested.