• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Making my first watch thread.

Daveyboyz

6 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

A frustrating day but still moving forwards.   I made a hash of this video too to add insult to injury.   Now I can't delete it from here either....   

Will try again tomorrow.

Somedays the best you can take is that tomorrow will be better.

Probably.

Stick at it fella.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Just like to add that I, like the others, am watching this thread unfold with great interest, probably because I too like making stuff from scratch and working out problems when they arise, as you will have seen if you look at some of my threads in the non watch projects section.  I fully appreciate your concern when soldering some of the parts...because unlike steel, which gives you some idea of when it's about to melt by turning shiny, some metals especially aluminium and lead, just suddenly collapse and melt with no warning at all, and I guess it's the same with gold and silver, but much more expensive if it happens! Your watch looks as though it is going to be totally unique, and I'm seriously looking forward to the finished result. Keep up the good work and the excellent explanatory videos... I'm always checking to see if you've posted another one! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Did a bit more work at the other end today.   I had to resolder one side too as the join wasn't good.

Had some special hard drills arrive today and I am hoping they will help, I really hope I can get the holes for the internal spring bars accurate... not sure how I will manage that yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Did a bit more work at the other end today.   I had to resolder one side too as the join wasn't good.

Had some special hard drills arrive today and I am hoping they will help, I really hope I can get the holes for the internal spring bars accurate... not sure how I will manage that yet. 

Just a suggestion.  If you cut a vee in your wood support it means you can hold the piece firmly when cutting.  I think we're all following this with great interest. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

Just a suggestion.  If you cut a vee in your wood support it means you can hold the piece firmly when cutting.  I think we're all following this with great interest. 

Yes, its commonly done but I prefer to let it just shape itself with time... usually the thing end up with a nobble on one end where collets are held and a scoop from filing rings.   It is actually a filing pin rather than for cutting (to my right is a cutting peg with a kind of keyhole shape cut out) the difference is that the pin is sloping whereas its better to cut on a flat surface.   

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by Daveyboyz
  • Thanks 1

Really coming along. I like the buckle, you've managed to fit your initials in there, that's a nice detail.

You get good and bad days, it's all part of the journey, the experience.

Just out of curiosity what do you use for video editing? I'm going to try and add a little bit of video to my thread, not really my comfort zone but watching your videos it does seem to show a bit more than just photos.

1 hour ago, Monaque said:

Just out of curiosity what do you use for video editing? I'm going to try and add a little bit of video to my thread, not really my comfort zone but watching your videos it does seem to show a bit more than just photos.

I used to know how to edit on Premier before it got updated so many times I forgot how to use it.    Here I made the little intro on adobe after effects but I simply chuck everything on windows movie maker... nothing sophisticated really.   If I need to voice over after I just record on voice recorder and drop it in.

I am really lazy with transitions and editing too, I hardly bother.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I used to know how to edit on Premier before it got updated so many times I forgot how to use it.    Here I made the little intro on adobe after effects but I simply chuck everything on windows movie maker... nothing sophisticated really.   If I need to voice over after I just record on voice recorder and drop it in.

Well, not aiming for film studio, just something informative that people can watch over a cuppa, so, it works. I just downloaded something free-ish on the internet so we will see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Sorry, one last question about video, what size are the files you upload?

Sorry, one last question about video, what size are the files you upload?

The files would be teeny tiny things, fractions of a millimeter in order to fit on the disk drive.

2 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Your patience in the build is so much greater than mine in the wanting to see how it turns out! :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another interesting video. I was a bit confused by where the hoop shaped piece had suddenly come frombut you explained at the end. Trying to get the two holes in the same place isn't going to be easy. I assume that you can't simply drill both holes in one go because of the very small size of the hole and length of drill.

A challenge ahead. I hope it goes well.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

1.05 gb Mp4 video file uploaded to youtube. 

Holy crap, didn't realize your video files were that large. Saying that, I saw on your YT channel you could alter the res up to 1080, so I guess that explains it.

Regarding drilling, if I have to drill freehand, I always centre pop to give the drill something to start, and to stop it from wandering, to maintain position as it were.

• Agree 1

Regarding drilling, if I have to drill freehand, I always centre pop to give the drill something to start, and to stop it from wandering, to maintain position as it were.

Generally I do that too but these small drills don't wander much at speed and I didn't want to distort the other side.     I managed to drill each in the right place so I was quite happy :-)

• Like 2