• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Making my first watch thread.

Daveyboyz

2 hours ago, chas g said:

Don't get disheartened I am sure it will turn out fine.

Just a suggestion maybe you should have a couple of days off to reflect and recuperate ready for the tricky parts of the build to come. :thumbsup:

I think today was the hardest bit... getting the ends on and the lugs straight.   Now will require a lot of patience finishing and polishing.

I don't think I will add the shoulders or the markers around the dial (I lost the piece of gold I was going to cut them from)

I registered at the assay office so I will have my own hallmark now.

I am sure it will turn out fine, but not perfect.   The level of accuracy is not what it could have been but it will have to do because the is more risk and less reward in trying to correct it (completely remaking the 12 o'clock end for example. 

Thanks for your support though :-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

I think today was the hardest bit... getting the ends on and the lugs straight.   Now will require a lot of patience finishing and polishing.

I don't think I will add the shoulders or the markers around the dial (I lost the piece of gold I was going to cut them from)

I registered at the assay office so I will have my own hallmark now.

I am sure it will turn out fine, but not perfect.   The level of accuracy is not what it could have been but it will have to do because the is more risk and less reward in trying to correct it (completely remaking the 12 o'clock end for example. 

Thanks for your support though :-)

It is a very complex design, and while watching your latest vdieos, I couldn't help thinking that the only way to get a perfect fit for those parts would be with a milling machine. Like yourself, I am a perfectionist when making things, and only see the faults in the finished article. However, the majority of people, won't notice the faults and will just see an amazing hand made watch and not be able to imagine how it was created.

Keep going, it's going to look brilliant :thumbsup:

Edited by Duncan U.
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Probably a bit late now Dave, now that you've already cut a tab to secure the movement, but in the past I've had success using shims made from drink cans (very thin aluminium) or pop bottles (very thin, stiff plastic) to secure a loose movement in a case. The best example of this was securing a Majestyk movement in its case... not quite the same as yours, as it was a digital display which just needed securing, not centralising, but I fully understand you need to get yours properly centralised to allow the hand shafts to be central in the dial hole... just an idea for future consideration. :thumbsup:

This project is certainly holding my attention and I acknowledge your superb attention to detail, especially as this is your first go at something completely unique and a one off. I wonder if Roger Smith is watching...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Probably a bit late now Dave, now that you've already cut a tab to secure the movement, but in the past I've had success using shims made from drink cans (very thin aluminium) or pop bottles (very thin, stiff plastic) to secure a loose movement in a case. The best example of this was securing a Majestyk movement in its case... not quite the same as yours, as it was a digital display which just needed securing, not centralising, but I fully understand you need to get yours properly centralised to allow the hand shafts to be central in the dial hole... just an idea for future consideration. :thumbsup:

This project is certainly holding my attention and I acknowledge your superb attention to detail, especially as this is your first go at something completely unique and a one off. I wonder if Roger Smith is watching...

Thank Roger.   It's certainly a learning curve!

It would be interesting to see some of your projects spelt out in a similar manner.   I did consider a shim as plastic ones are commonplace in watches but a drinks can didn't occur to me.

I am not sure which solution is better but had you told me I would have given that a try first.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Thank Roger.   It's certainly a learning curve!

It would be interesting to see some of your projects spelt out in a similar manner.   I did consider a shim as plastic ones are commonplace in watches but a drinks can didn't occur to me.

I am not sure which solution is better but had you told me I would have given that a try first.

Thanks Dave... although I've made a few watch related Youtube vids on my tablet, I haven't got around to doing videos of my woodworking projects... I don't have the equipment, know how, or the editing facilities, just a tablet or phone to record on, which is why my projects are more photo related. Just waiting for a few more items to arrive before embarking on my latest project, a tablesaw crosscut sled... but that's another story, don't want to detract from this fabulous project of yours. However, you have given me food for thought, and I really must investigate video making in more detail. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Monaque said:

Curious; do you keep all your filings? Just wondering as it's gold...

Of course, as many as I can.   

I try to keep them separate, one jar has silver and the other has gold.

The larger fragments can be melted down and the dust I would sell to my guy in hatton garden who refines it.

He even takes buff paper... believe it or not a bin liner full of old buff paper can come to £100.   I don't use enough to make me feel its worth saving the stuff though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Of course, as many as I can.   

I try to keep them separate, one jar has silver and the other has gold.

The larger fragments can be melted down and the dust I would sell to my guy in hatton garden who refines it.

He even takes buff paper... believe it or not a bin liner full of old buff paper can come to £100.   I don't use enough to make me feel its worth saving the stuff though.

I thought maybe you would have, saved as much as you could. Also makes the watch a little cheaper to make. Sometimes my boss quotes on a job with that in mind, how much he can offset the cost of the job with what he can make back in scrap. Hard to believe anything could be salvaged from buff paper but I guess it doesn't have to be much.

That was a good episode. It occurred to me that the glass might not be perfectly circular. As the glass will be cemented in place I did wonder why you aren't making it a clearance fit to ensure an effective seal. Also are you going to give the lugs more shape? 

Thank you for providing another interesting video. I hope your watchmaker is suitably photogenic for his up coming part in the "cementing the glass" video :yes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chas g said:

Thank you for providing another interesting video. I hope your watchmaker is suitably photogenic for his up coming part in the "cementing the glass" video :yes:

I don't think he will be, he is very old school.   

My original thoughts involved laying shoulders between the edge of the case and the lugs to give them a pleasing form.   Honestly now I just think I will leave them close to as they are as I am nervous about heating it up any more since I have already used 3 grades of solder on it.   I am just going to run a little extra easy on a couple of joins to reinforce them and thats it.

Maybe its a pretty crude design, maybe not so pretty, but you won't see another like it.

I see the sound somehow got moved on my video so it's a little out of sync... not even sure how thats possible but hey ho.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2021 at 14:48, Bricey said:

Perspective is a funny thing, I was very worried you'd set fire to your sleeve towards the end.

Just ask Peter Jackson filming Lord of the Rings.

11 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Maybe its a pretty crude design, maybe not so pretty, but you won't see another like it.

That's the main thing with designing and building your own thing, it's a true original, nothing like it out there.

• Like 1

I doubt anyone is going  to notice a 1mm error on the centre of the dial. I think you  have done well so you mustn't let it bother you. Accomplishing this project without the use of machine tools is no mean feat so celebrate it.

I can't wait to see the dial and am intrigued what it will look like. :thumbsup:

• Like 1