• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

My First Russian!

Have had my eye on a Vostok or two for a while now. Clearly they're not the best built but they're dependable but they are full of character and just a bit different. 

Reminds me of my old Mitsubishi Shogun Sport, it's old, it's an old design but it's cool, it's fun and it's reliable haha. 

z0fywVn.jpg

Leather straps aren't for me so I swapped it out for a leather silicone strap. I'm partial to a bit of orange. 

lOj5LWA.jpg

• Like 6

Gotta love a tank! haha

Got my second one in the post yesterday which is the one that caught my eye first of all. The Amphibia! 

U128lry.jpg

2 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I have only recently started to form a group of modern Russian watches in my collection and I have greatly enjoyed my purchases from the Forum classifieds. I could easily become addicted to these watches because they are charmingly idiosyncratic yet workmanlike and generally inexpensive.

Completely agree, a lot of the designs aren't like any other designs that are out there. Even the Amphibia which is unmistakably a diver doesn't really look like a typical diver. I love the faces though, they're all really old skool. Remind me of designs that were old when I was a kid in the 80s which would make sense considering the era. 

Can totally see them becoming addictive though, I mean I've bought two for barely over £100 and they're really interesting and decent quality. Plus have an interesting history.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Alex_225 said:

Gotta love a tank! haha

Got my second one in the post yesterday which is the one that caught my eye first of all. The Amphibia! 

U128lry.jpg

Completely agree, a lot of the designs aren't like any other designs that are out there. Even the Amphibia which is unmistakably a diver doesn't really look like a typical diver. I love the faces though, they're all really old skool. Remind me of designs that were old when I was a kid in the 80s which would make sense considering the era. 

Can totally see them becoming addictive though, I mean I've bought two for barely over £100 and they're really interesting and decent quality. Plus have an interesting history.

You have pretty much the classic Amphibia there, and I see you picked up a mesh strap that is highly recommended by Jodi from Just One More watch :thumbsup:

One thing to be aware of, it is worth checking the case back is tight before swimming. The first one I received had the locking ring so loose I could undo it without a tool.

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan, I'll definitely give that a check. Ironically despite having many divers watches, on the rare occasion I swim I take them off anyway haha. 

I did feel it was kind of 'the' Amphibia to go for. Seeing various reviews that style just caught my eye and seemed to be the one to go for. The mesh strap I felt would just work nicely, I like a metal bracelet but saw various reviews say the original was one to pull the hairs out of your arms. Didn't fancy that! I quite like the look of the Vostok shark mesh strap or finding a chunkier type mesh. All in good time. :) 

• Like 1

Looks like I have some catching up to do! haha 

Great collection. Thing is for sub-£100, some being way under that amount they're quite an affordable brand to collect. They're not technically perfect but they have tonnes of character and aren't styled like any other brand I've really seen. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...