• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Must de Cartier

I've been having a bit of an itch for a square or rectangular dress watch and I really like the Must de Cartier. I have a quartz S T Dupont Laque de Chine which is quite long lug to lug but only 21mm across the case and wears far too small on my wrist (not helped by a 16mm strap). The Cartier comes in at 23mm (I  think) and I suspect it will also be too small even though many suggest Cartier wear larger than you might think. Is there a larger size than this in this model? I haven't seen one. It's the quartz I've been looking at. 

in the current Tank Must line you’ve got small - quartz, 29.5x22mm

large - quartz, 33.7x25.5mm

extra large - auto, 41x33mm

the blue, red, green models come I believe only in large, but the traditional white dial on either leather or metal strap comes in all three sizes.

On 07/10/2021 at 09:15, trameline said:

I was also looking with interest at the New  Cartier Tank Must XL 41x31 Auto

I do not think the Crown is suitable for a Mans Watch  imho

4B73324D-FAB5-4188-9B4F-607AEEFF25DB.thumb.jpeg.e009eb1f147a7a1968addae7d38cdd4b.jpeg

Agreed, it's more tiara than crown.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, trameline said:

I do not think the Crown is suitable for a Mans Watch  imho4B73324D-FAB5-4188-9B4F-607AEEFF25DB.thumb.jpeg.e009eb1f147a7a1968addae7d38cdd4b.jpeg

I really like the Tank but you`re right, i`ve also thought  long and hard aboout the crown, it could still have the blue in the crown but incorperated in anaother way.

4B73324D-FAB5-4188-9B4F-607AEEFF25DB.thumb.jpeg.e009eb1f147a7a1968addae7d38cdd4b.jpeg

Quite like it personally, but does make it more difficult to pull off with anything other than more formal attire.

23 hours ago, Bobby123 said:

in the current Tank Must line you’ve got small - quartz, 29.5x22mm

large - quartz, 33.7x25.5mm

extra large - auto, 41x33mm

the blue, red, green models come I believe only in large, but the traditional white dial on either leather or metal strap comes in all three sizes.

Thank you. The specific model I've been eyeing up is an older model, the one with the three gold tones. I'm not sure it came in three sizes. I think it's just going to wear too small.

My cartier roadster is 35mm wide by 43mm lug to lug and my wrist is 7 3/4" circumference. The watch is on the small side for me but OK on my wrist because its quite chunky.

I saw some of the watches as per @tramelinephoto and they all looked very dainty on leather straps. You need to try some on.

1845856069_20211008_0349322.thumb.jpg.489f9b8006acdf6fa5b109af216c5bd4.jpg421371585_20211008_0353332.thumb.jpg.d19136e170730cc916402c6d3ac8c007.jpg

25 minutes ago, trameline said:

The Tank, strange name for a watch so dressy .

I agree, if you're going to call a rectangular watch The Tank, the very least it should look like is this:

20170519_095913

The appropriately named TW Steel "Goliath" :laughing2dw:

• Haha 5

With the greatest of respect, I will beg to differ with a number of the comments above.  I have owned a Tank Solo XL for years and have never once felt unmanned by it.  It’s a good size and a lovely thing to wear, and it works as well with jeans and a T-shirt as it does with a suit. Believe me, I’m an owner.

9FA9C923-ECCA-4D60-85DD-C6578706A0FC.thumb.jpeg.e33e8c712ae37d79007d97292db5622d.jpeg

7 hours ago, trameline said:

The Tank, strange name for a watch so dressy .

Not when you research the history of the name and the brand. After the Battle of the Somme Louis Cartier drew on the design of the newly introduced tanks for his new watch concept. View a 1916 tank from above and you will understand the relevance.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, AVO said:

With the greatest of respect, I will beg to differ with a number of the comments above.  I have owned a Tank Solo XL for years and have never once felt unmanned by it.  

9FA9C923-ECCA-4D60-85DD-C6578706A0FC.thumb.jpeg.e33e8c712ae37d79007d97292db5622d.jpeg

No argument from me. The XL is the one I would choose. It looks well proportioned and chunky which I like in a watch. I do think though that on the small ones the crown looks too big. Just my opinion :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, JRParker said:

How far does your definition of "Dress" stretch. Its not their diver model but granted it looks a little divery. Just to throw something else square into the mix.

Probably £3-4k 2nd hand so similar to an auto Santos or XL Tank.

BR05-auto-blue-metal.png BR05-chrono-blue-steel-steel-ok.png

I have a soft spot for B&R, although they seem to get little love on here and very rarely show up in the WRUW threads.

I think they suffer from sitting at a price point where the likes of Longines, Ball and even Tudor sit, and yet generally being seen as a rung below those brands on the quality/desirability ladder.

Not relevant to this thread but some of their less renowned round watches looks fantastic to me, this is on my "once the danger zone watches are sold" shortlist.

Screenshot_20211013-093600_eBay.thumb.jpg.c63d6e2a3e57a496967aed7b110c4826.jpg

One other thing, for those that, like I, dared question the machismo of a Cartier.....it was the choice of the Greatest.

Screenshot_20211013-094550_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d288f09e5ded83280455c5f6d22c3d29.jpg

https://www.gq.com/story/watches-of-the-week-4-3-20

This was Muhammad Ali's.....

Screen%20Shot%202020-04-03%20at%201.03.3

Are YOU tougher than Muhammad Ali?

(I am, but don't tell my wife I said that).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

I have a soft spot for B&R, although they seem to get little love on here and very rarely show up in the WRUW threads.

I think they suffer from sitting at a price point where the likes of Longines, Ball and even Tudor sit, and yet generally being seen as a rung below those brands on the quality/desirability ladder.

Not relevant to this thread but some of their less renowned round watches looks fantastic to me, this is on my "once the danger zone watches are sold" shortlist.

Screenshot_20211013-093600_eBay.thumb.jpg.c63d6e2a3e57a496967aed7b110c4826.jpg

Yeah people seem to give them a hard time for being expensive for a quartz or having a fairly standard ETA movement. But I think the design is great and they definitely have their own unique style. People are quite happy to overpay when it suits them, is a submariner really worth £11k compared to a 3k Tudor?

12 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

That "brand" reminds me of jewellery people buy because "the plebs" aspire to Rolex (insert wry smile).

Or simply because it’s a great watch (most accurate mechanical in the collection)  it looks brilliant no matter what you are wearing, and you don’t give two hoots what other people aspire to.

Just now, AVO said:

Or simply because it’s a great watch (most accurate mechanical in the collection)  it looks brilliant no matter what you are wearing, and you don’t give two hoots what other people aspire to.

I like the fact that Cartier watches are absolutely recognisable and don't look like anything else. Other than Hublot and Panerai I struggle to think of any other except specific models like the Royal Oak.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, chas g said:

I like the fact that Cartier watches are absolutely recognisable and don't look like anything else. Other than Hublot and Panerai I struggle to think of any other except specific models like the Royal Oak.

Panerai just look like a posh steeldive, the Royal Oak is a flash Didun Design, and Hublot are just Invicta's with extra £££'s.

:whistle:

• Haha 1