• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I Want To See Your Movements!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zenith 2572 PC E

I have posted on this thread before, but incompletely and inadequately  --  so I'll try to rectify. [@JoT, please feel free to zap my earlier efforts if you have the time and inclination]. Many m

My favorite movement in my collection  a JLC 975 Autotractor the watch is a Master Control Hometime 

Posted Images

I have taken the opportunity presented by the lockdown to take some better pictures of my favourite movements.

Nomos Orion 38 - with the Alpha movement

large._N8Y7349-Edit-Edit.JPG.cb656a1ff4bdde1fac574a02a507d79a.JPG

Union Glashütte Panoramadatum - with the UG-26-45, Calibre 26   

large._N8Y7295-Edit-Edit.JPG.49ba609d87e61f85c019009dd5def03d.JPG

and a close up of the same movement

large._N8Y7295-Edit-Edit-Edit.JPG.f67e8a9a2e499f2f6219bdb00c5e2dda.JPG

Stowa Marine Original Blue Limited Edition - Unitas 6498 albeit heavily modified by Stowa

large._N8Y7313-Edit-Edit.JPG.f981c3ba200d70fa1c96ea03d4853143.JPG

and a couple of close ups of that movement

large._N8Y7313-Edit-Edit-Edit-2.JPG.ef4ff65efbc8b451f6d310d776010059.JPG

large._N8Y7313-Edit-Edit-Edit.JPG.932f44d62dfdf01bff0f07d6f4b88de4.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

IMG_20200414_210046844(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.58c1cba532bfe5a6d06fba0506faf9e1.jpg

IMG_20200426_083047461(1).thumb.jpg.b0d2b4604f89cf26c2447f45163d4e61.jpg

IMG_20200426_082833608(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.73ac66dabe3ce9c01705bddd8e4a914d.jpg

The search is on for a replacement hairspring but Greg at Woodland Technical did a great job doing CPR on this, and adjusting the balance to work with what we've got - the regulator is now almost central, and timekeeping yesterday was spot on through 16 hrs wear from when I woke to when I retired.  I store it on my right wrist (who needs a winder?) :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Found some old movements a while ago that i'd forgotten about, Mostly ladies!

bMHok7N.jpg Jsoth9T.jpg

kqDTtXN.jpg

I have a box somewhere with about a hundred very old movements in that came from a massive store in Leeds, Apparently it took up a full block! My brother was one of a gang that were renovating the lot, The owners had removed everything they wanted to keep and said to bin everything else!!, He brought me all sorts of goodies!, Even brought me a Wolf 1hp double ended buffing machine!! 

The few movements above came with them, The watches had been sold to the store decades ago and the precious metal cases melted, The movements went in to a box, Our kid brought all he could find for me as he knew I was in to watches a bit! :yes:

I think they're in my gunroom which I have to start going though, If I find them i'll take pics!!

John :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2
  • 5 weeks later...

I have posted on this thread before, but incompletely and inadequately  --  so I'll try to rectify. [@JoT, please feel free to zap my earlier efforts if you have the time and inclination].

Many members feel that the look of the movement of a mechanical watch is barely relevant to the enjoyment it gives. For me however, these little mechanical marvels are a crucial element of the attraction  --  so much so that I will not buy a mechanical watch not featuring a display back. I also prefer not to own two watches with completely identical movements. 

I am not a technical WIS, so, if I make any observations here which are wrong, please correct me.

Two of my fourteen watches have solid case-backs (Rolex 17000 and AP huitième), so only twelve feature here.

The workhorses:

Vb79dbM.jpg

The ETA 2824-2 must be one of the most ubiquitous mechanicals around (particularly with its Sellita and other clones). Stowa uses the "Top" grade (which I understand to be physically identical to the "Chronometer", just differently regulated). This piece leaves little to be desired in accuracy, but (particularly equipped with a solid rotor) lacks (for me) the visual "wow-factor" of some that follow.

Fd4bMJk.jpg

Discovering the (ETA) Unitas 6498-1 taught me two things: that manually wound movements (in their relative simplicity and lacking the obscuring rotor) are often intrinsically more elegant than automatics, and that I rather liked the "pocket watch architecture for the wrist" theme.

The "inbetweenie"

2c8As7y.jpg

As I think is obvious from comparison with the prior pic, the gorgeous Dornblüth 99.1 is a reworked Unitas 6498. However, the word "reworked" is stretched to its limit. The only architectural difference is that the sub-seconds position is moved slightly nearer to the centre of the movement, allowing the sub-dial to be larger than with the base movement. The big changes are in the detail: three-quarter plate, screwed gold chatons, swan neck regulation, and hand decoration and engraving.

The "in-house" manuals

lZjENT3.jpg

The Kaliber 200.1 from Moritz Grossmann  --  definitely their "entry level". Unusual features include the proprietary balance, the signature clear jewels, and the Grossmann vernier regulation. Included is the Grossmann hacking system: the crown is pulled out to stop the balance but then springs back in; the time may then be set using the crown; once set, the movement is restarted using the adjacent pusher.

HKEMLJT.jpg

The Kaliber 100.1. Essentially very similar architecture to the 200.1, but given the full hand-finishing. Glashütte stripes on the three-quarter plate (please someone tell me the difference between this and Geneva stripes!), purple heat treated screws (another MG foible), raised and screwed gold chatons, triple snailing, and intricate hand engraving.

ysKdmJN.jpg

The Kaliber 100.2  --  as the 100.1 but featuring a power reserve complication.

djDGh2F.jpg

And, from just the other side of the rail tracks, GO Kaliber 65. Less beautifully finished than the MGs, but lovely nevertheless. Double swan necks! Offset dials and big-date and power reserve complications.

All of these four show my predilection for "pocket watch movements on the wrist". And, along with the other two manuals, all pretty much fill their cases.

The "in-house" automatics

ba2K06t.jpg

The oldest auto design in the collection (although, possibly rivalled by the Zenith). GO Kaliber 39 is a development and refinement (same geometry, but 110 of 130 parts were changed) of the GUB (Glashütte Uhrenbetrieb  --  the pre-reunification communist Glashütte watch collective) Kaliber 10-30 (Spezichron) movement. If you look beneath the balance in this photo you can just see the old GUB logo beneath the model designation. This unit is from 2012, but the "39" is still produced today for the Sixties and Seventies ranges. There is a big-date complication. A "detuned" version of the 39 was used for a while by Union-Glashütte and designated Kaliber 26. I believe @Boots owns one.

9piUdUD.jpg

Part of the Zenith "in-house workhorse", Elite range, the 691 has a moon phase complication. It upsets my OCD tendencies to see a movement so much smaller than its case. However, the watch is a joy.

eAMfhqZ.jpg

"Epsilon" was the first in-house automatic calibre from Nomos.

55kjcF1.jpg

Kaliber 36 is the newest (and, I think, thinnest) automatic from GO. Decorated in traditional Glashütte fashion, it features 100 hours of power reserve from a single barrel.

3JXFccY.jpg

And lastly, back to Switzerland (just) for the austere but beautiful HMC Kaliber 200. In an unashamed effort to keep costs in control, this version features a tungsten rotor.

Edited by yokel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

My two latest additions, backs off for you guys. 

A cal 89 IWC and a 215 Universal Genève. 

Those are both lovely, especially (in my poorly-informed opinion) the IWC. Thank you

• Like 1
On 22/08/2020 at 11:10, Daveyboyz said:

20200821_113740

My two latest additions, backs off for you guys. 

A cal 89 IWC and a 215 Universal Genève. 

Those are works of art!!

I have a cal 89 IWC but the movement is rusty!! :mad0218:

eNJBFQV.jpg

It only has two and a half hands too but it runs well (Somehow!! :blush: )

BTW, It does have Cotes De Geneve but my non existent photo taking skills didn't manage to pick them up!! :hmmm9uh:

John :thumbsup:

• Like 1