• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Old Watch Sunday (made before 1990)

This is my oldest watch with a date by a long shot.

IMG_20211010_121735464(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.fda7440867d3877b010fac121563afff.jpg

I can't read it so unconcerned that it is 5 days fast - I am certainly not winding through fifty revolutions of the dial!

If anyone wants to date it, feel free, I am saying mid thirties, because of the deco side stepped case, by which time this Schild movement design was roughly 10 yrs old.

IMG_20211010_122658455(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.f598835400cd9fd574f4770a44da0842.jpg

p.s. is anyone else actually sunbathing?  I am hoping the sun will curb the incipient corrosion on the minutes hand, before it goes back in the box with a big bag of silica gel!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

This is my oldest watch with a date by a long shot.

IMG_20211010_121735464(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.fda7440867d3877b010fac121563afff.jpg

I can't read it so unconcerned that it is 5 days fast - I am certainly not winding through fifty revolutions of the dial!

If anyone wants to date it, feel free, I am saying mid thirties, because of the deco side stepped case, by which time this Schild movement design was roughly 10 yrs old.

IMG_20211010_122658455(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.f598835400cd9fd574f4770a44da0842.jpg

p.s. is anyone else actually sunbathing?  I am hoping the sun will curb the incipient corrosion on the minutes hand, before it goes back in the box with a big bag of silica gel!

Looks like a Handley case so that should help with the date. A beautiful watch, thanks for sharing.

13 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Looks like a Handley case so that should help with the date. A beautiful watch, thanks for sharing.

Hi, the case is actually from the Acme watch case company (Meep! Meep!), 14kt white gold filled.  The movement is not very exotic in terms of jewel count, but Banner seem to have made a lot of novelty type pieces, and even jewel encrusted types for boutique sales, rather than worrying too much about the horology, but this one does appear to be in jolly good nick.

I am pretty sure that there was a large court case about American watch case manufacturing, I think my trail started with a complaint by someone, possibly Bulova, of design 'borrowing' and the investigators found the whole industry was just a huge cartel anyway, and pretty sure manufacturers were sharing their catalogues and inventories between each other and agreeing the prices, so the original 'trial' became a bit of a moot point.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I am pretty sure that there was a large court case about American watch case manufacturing, I think my trail started with a complaint by someone, possibly Bulova, of design 'borrowing' and the investigators found the whole industry was just a huge cartel anyway, and pretty sure manufacturers were sharing their catalogues and inventories between each other and agreeing the prices, so the original 'trial' became a bit of a moot point.

Rooting about in the lower ends of the Swiss industry, I've found far more evidence of collaboration between companies than competition.

• Like 2