• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Staum (not Storm) watches

Bricey

12 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I haven't seen these. I was thinking Stauer watches.

Stauer is one of those brands that managed to pick a name that the first few times you pass it you stop to check if it is something with some heritage, a start up that is focusing on making what they believe a watch should be or that trusty third type of brand, the one that wants to package a 'cheap as chips budget watch with neither heritage nor a deliberate design philosophy' as if it looks like it might be one of the other two categories.

I am now convinced and comfortable that Stauer is the third group.

There is a fourth category in my opinion, the homage brands, Steeldive as a perfect example. I personally have no essential issue with those that try to make a budget lookalikey of a popular watch or brand (as long as it is clearly not trying to pass off as a replica) because at least by and large, they are honest about their product, it is meant to be a budget interpretation of a look.

The Stauer's of this world are trying not to simulate an actual watch, they are trying to simulate a heritage or vision that they don't have.

All in my humble, cock-eyed, opinion.

Edited by Bricey

"STRAUM is a maker of lifestyle gear for explorers and adventurers, rooted in Norwegian nature. Our mission is to explore Norway, find captivating stories, and present these stories in the form of premium, high-quality mechanical watches." Øystein Helle Husby, Co-founder, Straum on Linkedin.

"After five years of product development and design, we were asked by the watch brand Straum to help them with the launch. Aksel organized photo shoots, and our team locked the door to the workshop suite. Together with the industrial designers from Straum, Lasse and Øystein, we launched the brand, website and two exclusive product models: the Limited Edition watch "Rastarkalv" and "Origin". By using guerrilla methods on social media, we spread the brand in the wind. The founders' social network shared their content hundreds of times, and watch magazines from around the world became interested. Sales began to tick in the online store." https://www.skog.as/straum

:alcoholic:

40 minutes ago, Colin Belfast said:

I love the black and blue dials but the white dial version really needs a change in the colour of the hands.

It does seem a strange choice not to have gone with black or blue on the hands.

I don’t mind these, SW200 movement is about right at this price and they are fairly individual. However their marketing seems to be based on the Grand Seiko Model, trying to link dial textures to local natural occurrences (snowflake, silver birch, Omiwatari, Lake Suwa etc.). Blue dial with dark tan strap would do it for me but again price is a bit half way house, not cheap enough to be an impulse buy but not a name or movement to be in the next tier up. 

Should have said, has a touch of Zenith Defy about it.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ugg10 said:

I don’t mind these, SW200 movement is about right at this price and they are fairly individual. However their marketing seems to be based on the Grand Seiko Model, trying to link dial textures to local natural occurrences (snowflake, silver birch, Omiwatari, Lake Suwa etc.). Blue dial with dark tan strap would do it for me but again price is a bit half way house, not cheap enough to be an impulse buy but not a name or movement to be in the next tier up. 

Should have said, has a touch of Zenith Defy about it.

These Micros tend to go one of two ways, either they sell out and very rarely appear on ebay and when they do its at, or above, their original price, or this time next year I'll be posting about a bargain find for under £100.

There does not appear to be an in-between it is a binary one or the other.

Edited by Bricey
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Bricey said:

Anyone comes across these, that dial looks stunning imo.

610fa38df0a95e8673f664aa_opphav--gallery

Available in 3 colour variants 

Screenshot_20211010-100740_Chrome.thumb.jpg.22478a1a0dfb3f2b05020c00368c1a5e.jpg

Screenshot_20211010-100838_Chrome.thumb.jpg.89287015bec9b187726b18981deee8c4.jpg

Screenshot_20211010-100922_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc0ddd6a6aebfa07cb86b63c853a502b.jpg

Interesting case back

610fa258655efb2db5e81062_opphav--gallery

Sellita movement, 41mm, looks a cracker.

I think they all look smashing, the white dial More so than the rest, but the integrated lugs bother me, as they bend backward, away from the case, instead of inward like the rest. This makes any strap swapping impossible without going bespoke. No thanks. Too bad, but huge no thanks here.