• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Mackie HR824 Speaker cosmetic update

Ugg10

Following on from my turntable project over lockdown I thought I’d “prettify” my Mackie HR824 mk1 speakers. Nondescript black wood veneer and vinyl coated front (starting to peel) that needed to keep up with the rest of my system. 

So, got some engineered walnut veneer, glued it on, removed vinyl from the baffle, rubbed baffle down, primered it, coated it in metallic black rattle can paint (came out more gunmetal) and finally gave the veneer three coats of danish oil before reassembly.

Very happy with the results, hopefully the pictures show it.

I do have some embryonic plans for some home designed speakers, hopefully in the near future?

51516270409_63b4b96397_z.jpg

51574309025_7739cac3f2_z.jpg

51573381376_d5c9fd6422_z.jpg

Quick video before and after

• Like 4

@pauluspaolo they obviously sound better after the makeover even though I did not change anything electrically :-) 

These Mackies are very good monitors but also are pretty good for general Hifi use, very dynamic (as most studio monitors are), the 150w + 100w amps give you loads of headroom but they are also not too analytical (opposite of my Son’s Yamaha hs7’s, brutally revealing). I run them with a Minidsp (nanodigi plus four Khadas Toneboards) to sort out room reflections and a slight downward slope to the frequency profile which makes them even more listenable for longer periods (I have them on most of the day whilst working). 

@al_kaholik thanks for the comment, it's actually my first go at it so am pretty pleased with the result. Just watched a few youtube videos and thought about how to apply before jumping in. The veneer is engineered wood so I used two sheets (30x240cm) which have a consistent pattern between sheets, I applied one sheet for each speaker and the grain on both is pretty similar so look like a nice pair. The "eye" on the top was more luck than judgement!!!

• Like 1