• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Thoughts on the Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze Boutique Edition?

Personally I love the watch, I really like the look and colours, and prefer the more earthy/natural colour to the Rolex GMT Master II Rootbeer gold, which i feel is a comparable styling.

What does everyone else think? I feel like its probably a bit of a marmite watch (love or hate it).

L1280644.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=

42 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I like it, but not the "marketing furore" that inevitably surrounds it.

Yeah it did feel a bit "Rolexy" with the hype, limited launch selling out quick, high resale price etc.

I hope that doesnt become the norm for Tudor. Although to be fair it is supposed to be a limied edition.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 13:48, Ugg10 said:

The AP I spoke to a couple of weeks ago said it was a very nice watch but wasn’t sure how it would age/patina after a year or so, may not stay shiny very long. Enough of a comment to put me off. 

On 11/10/2021 at 16:04, Caller. said:

If that's not regularly polished, you will have a sludgy brown bracelet on your hands. There's a reason most bronze watches come on straps. I like the dial and bezel colour though. 

Interesting points about the durability. So overall the bronze/aluminium combo they have used, although its probably the most durable bronze option, is less durable than stainless steel.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:57, WRENCH said:

It's worth having a look at Oris, they also have bronze watch/bracelet combos.

Ah yeah, that is quite nice. I think I prefer the tudor colour combo though

Oris-Holstein-Edition-2020-Bronze-review

3 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Gaudy

Good word! Can't really disagree but I still like it!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JRParker said:

What will happen? Are you also referring to the bronze losing its finish?

Not losing its finish. More likely gaining a lovely green oxide coating in all the hard to reach places. 

Not a problem though - put an ultrasonic cleaning tank in your bathroom and just pop the watch in every night when you clean your teeth before bed. Just make sure you don't put your false teeth in there. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JRParker said:

Interesting points about the durability. So overall the bronze/aluminium combo they have used, although its probably the most durable bronze option, is less durable than stainless steel.

It's as durable as anything out there. It's just that if you want to retain a nice shiny new bronze bracelet, you will have to regularly polish it. It's not hard, as I have found out, but as said above, there are hard to get to places on a bracelet, so maybe an 'ultra sonic' cleaner is the answer. 

7 hours ago, chas g said:

Not losing its finish. More likely gaining a lovely green oxide coating in all the hard to reach places. 

Not a problem though - put an ultrasonic cleaning tank in your bathroom and just pop the watch in every night when you clean your teeth before bed. Just make sure you don't put your false teeth in there. :thumbsup:

Oh no hassle at all.large.20210724_171513.jpg.73da9460df19e401859d1d99f88dfe5b.jpg

How much was it?

Ah..  I forgot. I wanted a green/black watch with NO scratches.

4 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Oh no hassle at all.large.20210724_171513.jpg.73da9460df19e401859d1d99f88dfe5b.jpg

How much was it?

Ah..  I forgot. I wanted a green/black watch with NO scratches.

Now that is what you call patina and no mistake. What a beauty.

When you said you wanted a green/black "watch". Did you mean a green/black "wrist? :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Caller. said:

It's as durable as anything out there. It's just that if you want to retain a nice shiny new bronze bracelet, you will have to regularly polish it. It's not hard, as I have found out, but as said above, there are hard to get to places on a bracelet, so maybe an 'ultra sonic' cleaner is the answer. 

Interesting or not, this has been my office paperweight, spent sometime in the harsh environments of the North sea. Now probably around 40 years old and it hasn't tarnished, or been cleaned. Phospher bronze. Don't know what the alloy mix is.

large.IMG_20211013_192216_7.jpg.dd0d3c4ebb7ab7a148127eb7bd243cff.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Interesting or not, this has been my office paperweight, spent sometime in the harsh environments of the North sea. Now probably around 40 years old and it hasn't tarnished, or been cleaned. Phospher bronze. Don't know what the alloy mix is.

large.IMG_20211013_192216_7.jpg.dd0d3c4ebb7ab7a148127eb7bd243cff.jpg

I think you have summed up the problem with buying a bronze watch, the uncertainty of how it will age and possibly discolour. As an engineer with Clan Line, I saw a fair few impellors/bearings/castings which had been in contact with sea water for years and some faired well while others didn't.

Tudor are a well respected manufacturer and no doubt they will have tested corrosion resistance of the alloy they are using. I doubt though that the watch will retain its polished appearance.