• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

A Rediscovered Hobby, but What Free Photo Editor to Download

Always"watching"

I have just rediscovered photography after many years absence from the activity. I took the chance to acquire a couple of pre-owned Panasonic Lumix-Leica compact cameras at a bargain price recently and am starting to use them here and there. I now want to download a photo editing suite to my laptop so that I can do some creative editing work where necessary, but I don't yet want to fork out on precious money if my photography comes to nothing. I know that there are a number of free photo-editing apps and I have looked at lists of these, to try and find which one would be best for me. I really want an easy to use editor that still has enough options and features to make it interesting creatively, and I need it to do a good job... If some of you budding photographers can give me a bit of advice on which editor to use, I would be most grateful. I should just explain that my laptop is running the latest version of Windows 10, and isn't so burdened with apps etc. such that there wouldn't be enough memory to incorporate a photo editing suite.

16 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I have just rediscovered photography after many years absence from the activity. I took the chance to acquire a couple of pre-owned Panasonic Lumix-Leica compact cameras at a bargain price recently and am starting to use them here and there. I now want to download a photo editing suite to my laptop so that I can do some creative editing work where necessary, but I don't yet want to fork out on precious money if my photography comes to nothing. I know that there are a number of free photo-editing apps and I have looked at lists of these, to try and find which one would be best for me. I really want an easy to use editor that still has enough options and features to make it interesting creatively, and I need it to do a good job... If some of you budding photographers can give me a bit of advice on which editor to use, I would be most grateful. I should just explain that my laptop is running the latest version of Windows 10, and isn't so burdened with apps etc. such that there wouldn't be enough memory to incorporate a photo editing suite.

I have a an LX15 - nice Panasonic compact camera, having previously used an Olympus EM10. I really like the Panasonic feel and the quality of the photos are great for the price

Both are supported well in JPEG and RAW -  RAW if you are really serious about photo editing is great, but the files are big. Most cameras can be set to shoot JPEG and RAW together so you have the option later down the line.

On topic...

I've used GIMP for years, in linux, MacOs and Windows, and it works very well and is quite featured out of the box. Add ons and filters are available and there is a vast tutorial base on line. Not as user friendly as Photoshop, but you don'ts have to have a creative cloud contract either.

Forgot to say, touch ups and basic adjustments are very quick once you know where to find the settings (like anything). Youtube will be your friend :)

• Thanks 1

I too was going to mention GIMP. Perhaps a little less positively, than @al_kaholik! I have used it quite widely when money was a bit tighter. I found it to be very technical (which was OK for me, but may not suit some), and a bit flaky. It is, however, worth every penny!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Being a Linux user, I've been using Gimp for many years. It has become more user friendly over time, and it has always been able to do everything I have tried doing. Google for specific uses and there's always someone out there who has written a how to :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks @Roy. In fact, I am a bit ahead of you on this one - with no disrespect to the members who recommended GIMP. 

I downloaded GIMP and had a good go at working it out, soon realising that it was just too complicated and for my purposes and lacked the necessary intuitive feel for a simple user like myself; GIMP seems to be aimed at the more serious photographer. I have now decided to download Paint.NET after looking again at details of the various free photo editing suites, and hopefully I will get on with that editor rather more easily, saving GIMP for a time when I have more experience with digital photography.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1