• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Incoming Mini-joblot (Accurist)

Davey P

Just received a mini joblot of 3 Accurist watches, bought cheaply on ebay for a bit of fun. The only one I want to keep is the Skymaster, so if anyone is interested in the other two after I have described their faults, just let me know and I'll send one (or both) to you free.

So, here are the 3 Amigos:

20211013_125033

The Skymaster needs the frames from the digital windows removing, as they have all fallen off and are loose under the glass (I'm not going to attempt to refix 'em, as I think it looks fine without them). It was advertised as having a working digital part, but non-working hands.  However, when I pulled the crown and pushed it back in the seconds hand started moving, so possibly just a low battery.  I will replace both batteries anyway when I've opened it up.  The crystal has some light scratches, but I won't bother replacing that at the moment, mainly because I haven't got a clue how to do it :laughing2dw:,  I think it looks worse in the photos anyway.  Everything else is in pretty good shape, with just minor marks from normal wear, and it looks really good on the wrist.  I will polish up the case and bracelet/clasp a bit, and I reckon it will make a nice beater.  Thankfully, the bracelet is long enough for my big fat bloated wrist, and I will just need to remove one link for a perfect fit. The clasp works and locks fine, and only has minor desk diving marks, which I'll try to polish out.  It's a chunky fella, at around 45mm excluding crowns / 13mm thick, so pretty much a perfect size for me :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's a better pic of the bad boy:

20211013_125300

Next up, a chrono/alarm, which isn't working. When I pulled the crown, it didn't move the hands, so this one might be beyond repair.  I'll open it up and have a look to see if there's anything obvious. Overall condition is pretty good, with just minor general marks on the shiny case and bracelet from normal wear.  This one is quite loose on my 7.5" wrist, so would need 1 link removing for a better fit, but I won't bother resizing it as I don't want to keep it.  This is quite small, around 38mm excluding crown, so could probably be classed as unisex.  It's pretty heavy though, about the same weight as the Skymaster.

Here's a closer pic of the chrono:

20211013_125226

Finally, there's a gold slimline dress watch.  This one is working fine, with a subdial seconds hand, and the case is in nice condition with an unmarked dial. However, the crystal is badly cracked and needs replacing. (It is glass, not plastic) and it will need a new strap. Not really my cuppa tea, and at 40mm excluding crown / 6mm thick it could probably be classed as unisex.

Here's a better pic of that one, which shows the massive crack at the top of the crystal:

20211013_125421

So there you have it.  As mentioned previously I'm only interested in the Skymaster, and considering I only paid £19 + postage for all 3 I reckon that has got to be a bargain :yahoo:

I'll post my findings on here later tonight, when I've had time for a play.

:rltrlt:

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bricey said:

38mm, 40mm, Unisex??......Now listen up Buster! Some of us are just not as well endowed in the wrist area as your good self and we do not need to start getting our genders all assumed or confused!

Ha ha, good point mate, now you've said that and I read my description back it does sound a bit wrong.  However, both the 38mm and 40mm watches do "wear smaller" if that makes a difference...? :laughing2dw:

Oh, and for the record, I don't think I've ever been described as "well endowed".  Fat, yes, but well endowed - Not so much! :(

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Davey P said:

Finally, there's a gold slimline dress watch.  This one is working fine, with a subdial seconds hand, and the case is in nice condition with an unmarked dial. However, the crystal is badly cracked and needs replacing. (It is glass, not plastic) and it will need a new strap. Not really my cuppa tea, and at 40mm excluding crown / 6mm thick it could probably be classed as unisex.

Well, there's a coincidence. I also got one of those in a job lot. The hands and some of the batons had fallen off and I tried to fix it, but I ruined the dial trying to get the batons to stick, so I threw the evil thing in the bin. :laugh: I do still have other bits from it, including the crystal, so you're welcome to that, if it helps. Just PM your address over.

12 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Well, there's a coincidence. I also got one of those in a job lot. The hands and some of the batons had fallen off and I tried to fix it, but I ruined the dial trying to get the batons to stick, so I threw the evil thing in the bin. :laugh: I do still have other bits from it, including the crystal, so you're welcome to that, if it helps. Just PM your address over.

PM sent :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carlgulliver said:

Nice find and a nice gesture, I second the window frames it looks as good without :biggrin:

The gesture is in the other direction, after no negotiation at all Davey is sending the spare watches to me. :) Assuming I can fix them (don't hold your breath) there may be a giveaway on the horizon.

• Like 2

On 15/10/2021 at 09:49, spinynorman said:

after no negotiation at all Davey is sending the spare watches to me. :) 

I drive a hard bargain mate :laughing2dw:

I'm wearing the Skymaster today, and despite the non-working digital parts and a slightly scratched crystal, it actually looks quite nice on the wrist and makes a great beater :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davey P said:

I drive a hard bargain mate 

Well, I've finally sorted the rose gold one. It's an acrylic crystal, probably more robust than the thin mineral one it came with. 22mm lugs, and all I had was a green nato, but actually it suits it quite well. Do you want it back? :biggrin:

large.F1E68306-A991-447D-B7A2-767442B1499F.jpeg.52908d492f1a3e706c6b7c5abd4017ee.jpeg

I need to get this off my wrist before it goes limp. :jawdrop1:

12 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Well, I've finally sorted the rose gold one. It's an acrylic crystal, probably more robust than the thin mineral one it came with. 22mm lugs, and all I had was a green nato, but actually it suits it quite well. Do you want it back? :biggrin:

I would only consider having it back if you promised to burn that NATO strap mate :laughing2dw:

Looks much better without the massive crack in the crystal, good work that man :notworthy:  I think crystal replacement is something I need to learn.  I've already got the press and a selection of nylon discs, but only ever used it for push-on case backs so far.  I'll probably start with a practice on my lovely Skymaster, I can't think of any others in my collection that have any damage.

6 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I can't think of any others in my collection that have any damage

Simply post them to yourself with DHL, you'll have a whole host of necessary rapairs and re-crystals to keep you busy.

Edited by Bricey
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I think crystal replacement is something I need to learn.

It's easy enough, the main thing is getting the size right and the gasket the right way up. I have a small box of crystals that didn't fit. Also I discovered the hard way that Sternkreutz crystals from Cousins include a gasket in the measurement, so you don't know how big the actual glass part is. The Cousins own brand is ok though. Acrylics are even easier if you have the claw.

If you would like it back, I can remove the nato, but you'll need your own strap. Otherwise I'll see if anyone else here wants it.

20 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

If you would like it back, I can remove the nato, but you'll need your own strap. Otherwise I'll see if anyone else here wants it.

That has turned out to be a nice looking thing now you've repaired it, but it's not really my cuppa tea, so feel free to offer it up to anyone on here if you like mate :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Davey P said:

That has turned out to be a nice looking thing now you've repaired it, but it's not really my cuppa tea, so feel free to offer it up to anyone on here if you like mate :thumbsup:

If it is going for just the postage, I would love it (to replace the Seiko I missed out on, for Alfie, my young accounting padawan.

I've got a nice brown leather 22mm or a fancy black suede 22mm for him to choose from.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bricey said:

If it is going for just the postage, I would love it (to replace the Seiko I missed out on, for Alfie, my young accounting padawan.

I've got a nice brown leather 22mm or a fancy black suede 22mm for him to choose from.

I reckon black suede would look great on that one :thumbsup:  It's a slim case thickness, so whatever strap goes on it will need to be quite thin as well.

• Agree 1

Post came whilst I was out, but returned to find the lovely and generous @Davey P @spinynorman joint venture, I've added a black suede strap which I feel works really well with it.

IHfMPHb.jpeg

36B13br.jpeg

sfImJP4.jpeg

sTXKX8u.jpeg

Alfie is a super young lad and I know he has his older sisters wedding coming up, so it's nice he'll have something really smart to go with his suit.

Thanks guys, your both awesome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bricey said:

Post came whilst I was out, but returned to find the lovely and generous @Davey P @spinynorman joint venture, I've added a black suede strap which I feel works really well with it.

sTXKX8u.jpeg

Alfie is a super young lad and I know he has his older sisters wedding coming up, so it's nice he'll have something really smart to go with his suit.

Thanks guys, your both awesome.

Looks great mate, and that strap is a massive improvement over the horrible NATO that @spinynorman seemed to think was a good idea.... :laughing2dw:

18 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Looks good on that strap (though I did think it suited the nato :laughing2dw:)

See my previous comment................ :tongue:

:rltrlt:

• Haha 2

On 21/10/2021 at 11:29, Davey P said:

I'm wearing the Skymaster today, and despite the non-working digital parts and a slightly scratched crystal, it actually looks quite nice on the wrist and makes a great beater

Maybe this is where you got your lot, but I found this ebay shop last night - they have a lot of Accurist Skymasters, some in job lots, so might be a source of donors, if you need one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/admiraldd

2 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Maybe this is where you got your lot, but I found this ebay shop last night - they have a lot of Accurist Skymasters, some in job lots, so might be a source of donors, if you need one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/admiraldd

Excellent stuff, I will keep hold of that link, thanks very much mate :thumbs_up:

Oh, and the analogue part has stopped working now, so at the moment it is a fancy looking paperweight! :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Excellent stuff, I will keep hold of that link, thanks very much mate :thumbs_up:

Oh, and the analogue part has stopped working now, so at the moment it is a fancy looking paperweight! :laughing2dw:

What you definitely need is a job lot of donor watches, all of which will stop working as soon as you breathe on them. :bash:

I guess I don't have to tell you how I know this. :laugh:

10 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

What you definitely need is a job lot of donor watches, all of which will stop working as soon as you breathe on them. :bash:

I guess I don't have to tell you how I know this. :laugh:

Yes mate, and no need to ask me how I know it as well... :whistle:  Let's just say, I will never buy a load of Swatch watches again :mad0218:  All part of the fun though, obviously.

• Like 1