• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Mystery Mobil watch

Handsworth

Question

Not long ago I bought an chronograph branded "GT1 Racing. Mobil". On the back it has the 'Mobil' logo and the 'Flying Horse' on the strap. It's a well-made, quite heavy watch and appears to be of some quality, however I've been unable to find out anything about it.  It's not listed on any of the sites I've tried and Mobil themselves know nothing about it. 

Has anyone else come across one of these watches? Thanks!

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, Handsworth said:

Not long ago I bought an chronograph branded "GT1 Racing. Mobil". On the back it has the 'Mobil' logo and the 'Flying Horse' on the strap. It's a well-made, quite heavy watch and appears to be of some quality, however I've been unable to find out anything about it.  It's not listed on any of the sites I've tried and Mobil themselves know nothing about it. 

Has anyone else come across one of these watches? Thanks!

GT1 was a motor racing format from the 1990s. Mobil sponsored a Porsche GT1, one of which won the 1998 Le Mans 24 hours. So I expect this was a promotional watch produced around that time and given away, and/or sold to fans at the track.

There's one for sale on Ebay right now.

s-l1600.jpg

Mobil Porsche GT1

mobil-heritage-gallery-15-600x400.jpg