• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

This or that...

JayDeep

Which watch for formal use  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one only please

• Cartier Tank XL automatic
    • MeisterSinger Lunascope
    • Robert Robin Gyrfalcon B&W

Cartier tank XL, timeless, classic, iconic, and elegant, thats my choice without a doubt.

Dont particularly like MeisterSinger one handers.

Admittedly dont know too much about the Robert Robin, what i can see the Cartier blows them both outta the water.

Edited by sabailand

I k ow (and if didn't already, the replies would have confirmed) that the Cartier wins.

However, I like the Robin, it's a beautiful looking watch to me, even without the fact that it is two watches.

The MeisterSingers are cool, and the moon on them is incredibly good, but they are just not there for me.

I know that Cartier are amazing watches that are loved by anyone lucky enough to touch one, but I'm just not that into squares.

The Robert Robin just looks beautiful to me, it really does. So I'd chose what I like rather than what is regarded as best.

So in summary, keep the Cartier and stick the RR in a raffle! :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

I guess if you want to be just like everyone else then you choose to wear the tank. When you go to that large formal occasion you can be safe in the knowledge that if anyone else there has the same watch, the both of you can smile and nod at each other both displaying "class".

• Haha 1

I would go for the Cartier Tank or Santos in XL. They are both in my view beautiful watches and you aren't likely to see anyone else wearing one. I have had my Roadster for about 15 years and have never seen another one.

I like the Meistersinger but prefer the more simple single handed watch which is what they are all about without any extra complications.

I can't see anything on the Robert Robin which sets it apart from dozens of other watches except the lugs which seem to have been an afterthought.

Well I'm likely to keep two of them, but I haven't bought the Tank yet, so I'm trying to figure out which of the others to trade or sell to get the Tank, should I decide that's the route to go. 

With the MeisterSinger is just hands down the best moon phase I've ever seen and I honestly don't know how I'd let it go because I want a moon phase in my collection. The Robert Robin I'm having communication issues with the seller so I'm not sure if it will pan out, but I really want it too. 

The reality is, of the three, the Tank is the least interesting by a million miles, not open to interpretation, just fact. I mean come on, a single hand half-dial auto moon phase function and a reversible with dual 2892 top grades with the cleanest porcelain dials vs a what... boring old plain 3 hand with a tiara on the side of it? There's nothing noteworthy or stand out about the Cartier at all.

The icon love in me wants the Cartier bad, but all my taste and senses want to stay as far away from it as possible, with huge preferences toward the other two. 

3 hours ago, JayDeep said:

The icon love in me wants the Cartier bad, but all my taste and senses want to stay as far away from it as possible, with huge preferences toward the other two. 

Surely this is the point.

Don't get me wrong, I know that Cartier are incredibly highly regarded, and (on nothing but the trusted opinions of the majority) I am sure they are incredible quality watches, but....

You buy what you like, not what you believe others like.

But then I guess the acclaim of others is still a reason why someone would want to own a thing, it just doesn't seem as pure and natural a reason to me.

They way I would view this? If Rotary, Citizen or Seiko had a very close approximation of each of these watches, so you knew that the quality was acceptable but were buying purely for their visual appeal to you and not their reputation, fame, cost or WRUW thread point scoring abilities and e-pats on the back, would you even consider the Tank?

Would you consider this:

Seiko-sup880-e1603211078805.jpg

Or this:

Citizen-BH3000-09A-tank-e1603289368473.j

Or even this:

Rotary-GS0232645-tank-e1603299568751.jpg

If the answer to those three is a "hard pass" then surely the purchase of the Cartier would be not because you like the look or style, but because you like that others do.....and the likely outcome is limited wrist time and eventual departure from your collection after a period of slow realisation that actually, "no, it isn't for me".

Good luck.

PS. You know all this already. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bricey
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, AVO said:

If you don’t “get it”, don’t get it.

This, very much this.

Has anyone on here ever bought a watch thinking "I'm not keen on this, but loads of people love them so I need to see what it's all about and maybe I'll love it too when I have it" and then not ended up just moving it on because it turns out that your taste is your taste and no amount of 'other people love it' will change that?

2 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Has anyone on here ever bought a watch thinking "I'm not keen on this, but loads of people love them so I need to see what it's all about and maybe I'll love it too when I have it" and then not ended up just moving it on because it turns out that your taste is your taste and no amount of 'other people love it' will change that?

Yes.

I voted for the Tank, but to be honest I wouldn't want any of those watches. The Cartier is the classic rectangular watch, but to me, they always look a little awkward on wrist, and then there is the way the hands have to fit the width but are necessarily too short to reach the corners.

The MeisterSinger, I don't get single handed watches, they can't be very accurate and look odd, but I can see why others like the simplicity of the dial. However, a super clean dial doesn't need a date or moon phase (although it is useful for werewolves).

The Robert Robin has far too much text on the dial, and while surprisingly slim with two movements, it's rather chunky for the style of watch. But the fact is, the two faces are almost always going to show different times as they are going to have slightly different regulation, so no thanks.

No offence meant, you asked for our opinions :whistle:

4 hours ago, Bricey said:

Don't get me wrong, I know that Cartier are incredibly highly regarded, and (on nothing but the trusted opinions of the majority) I am sure they are incredible quality watches, but....

But then I guess the acclaim of others is still a reason why someone would want to own a thing, it just doesn't seem as pure and natural a reason to me.

They way I would view this? If Rotary, Citizen or Seiko had a very close approximation of each of these watches, so you knew that the quality was acceptable but were buying purely for their visual appeal to you and not their reputation, fame, cost or WRUW thread point scoring abilities and e-pats on the back, would you even consider the Tank?

Would you consider this:

Or this:

Or even this:

If the answer to those three is a "hard pass" then surely the purchase of the Cartier would be not because you like the look or style, but because you like that others do.....and the likely outcome is limited wrist time and eventual departure from your collection after a period of slow realisation that actually, "no, it isn't for me".

Good luck.

The monoaco is a watch that draws plaudits, but i suspect for many its becasue its because of TAG and Steve Mcqueen, i get some might like the design purely for the right reasons, but if a cheaper brand brought similar out it wouldnt be anywhere near as popular to watch afficianados, like clothes snobbery watch snobbery abounds in droves.

I`d wear all three pictured, all nice watches.

Edited by sabailand

34 minutes ago, sabailand said:

The monoaco is a watch that draws plaudits, but i suspect for many its becasue its because of TAG and Steve Mcqueen, i get some might like the design purely for the right reasons, but if a cheaper brand brought similar out it wouldnt be anywhere near as popular to watch afficianados, like clothes snobbery watch snobbery abounds in droves.

Whilst I can see the hypocrisy in my reasoning as to what constitutes good or bad / right or wrong in terms of the reasoning behind a person's desire for a watch, the line I'm trying (probably poorly) is the difference between:

A) Wanting a watch because you like it (whether the reason for that is the design appeals to you, or someone famous once wore it)

And

B) Wanting a watch you don't really like, purely because either the marketing or the esteem it is held in by others makes it "desirable".

It feels to me in this thread, and I have been known to be spectacularly wrong at times, that @JayDeep doesn't really like the Cartier but somehow feels that he should have, or at least experience, one being in his collection.

For me that reasoning is only ever likely to end with a watch he doesn't really want sat taking up a cushion in a box until he decides how he wants to get rid of it.

(Editor's comments: I might start to like them a lot more if he does the above and then decides the "way to get rid of it" is via a raffle on here!)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Whilst I can see the hypocrisy in my reasoning as to what constitutes good or bad / right or wrong in terms of the reasoning behind a person's desire for a watch, the line I'm trying (probably poorly) is the difference between:

A) Wanting a watch because you like it (whether the reason for that is the design appeals to you, or someone famous once wore it)

And

B) Wanting a watch you don't really like, purely because either the marketing or the esteem it is held in by others makes it "desirable".

It feels to me in this thread, and I have been known to be spectacularly wrong at times, that @JayDeep doesn't really like the Cartier but somehow feels that he should have, or at least experience, one being in his collection.

For me that reasoning is only ever likely to end with a watch he doesn't really want sat taking up a cushion in a box until he decides how he wants to get rid of it.

(Editor's comments: I might start to like them a lot more if he does the above and then decides the "way to get rid of it" is via a raffle on here!)

My first thought when I saw the 3 watches to vote for was that the Cartier didn't fit in with any of @JayDeep's previous purchases. 

8 hours ago, Bricey said:

Would you consider this:

Or this:

Or even this:

Good luck.

Yes, I actually really like the look and have always wanted a rectangular watch in my collection, however most, I've found, are very thin and thin is not to my liking at all. I prefer at least 10mm thickness/height.

7 hours ago, Duncan U. said:

I voted for the Tank, but to be honest I wouldn't want any of those watches. The Cartier is the classic rectangular watch, but to me, they always look a little awkward on wrist, and then there is the way the hands have to fit the width but are necessarily too short to reach the corners.

The MeisterSinger, I don't get single handed watches, they can't be very accurate and look odd, but I can see why others like the simplicity of the dial. However, a super clean dial doesn't need a date or moon phase (although it is useful for werewolves).

The Robert Robin has far too much text on the dial, and while surprisingly slim with two movements, it's rather chunky for the style of watch. But the fact is, the two faces are almost always going to show different times as they are going to have slightly different regulation, so no thanks.

No offence meant, you asked for our opinions :whistle:

No offense taken at all, because I couldn't care less if the two sides of the RR would tell a different time, it would only be by seconds. That literally means nothing to me. The MeisterSinger is just to die for in every way possible so we just have different taste there. Same, I don't mind the odd fitment of the hands on the dial of rectangular watches like the Tank. I appreciate your thoughts, but none have swayed me one way or another. 

4 hours ago, sabailand said:

Nah, it's one of the most gorgeous watches I've ever laid eyes on. I love thick thick square case, the prefect sunburst blue metallic dial with subtle touches of red ascents. Truly the best looking blue dial watch I've ever seen. It looks great dressed up or down. It's what I always wanted when looking for a blue dial. 

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

No, I do like it, I just don't know if I will love it. It's not like the Monaco or a Speedmaster, which I know I love without question (minus the speedy bracelet, but that's fixable). With this one in more riding the fence. I think I need to go try one on at some point. 

2 hours ago, chas g said:

My first thought when I saw the 3 watches to vote for was that the Cartier didn't fit in with any of @JayDeep's previous purchases. 

Which is just another reason I'm thinking I want one. I don't do redundancy. All my watches are quite different from each other.

• Like 2