• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Dry Powder?

I have my eye on a couple of watches, though TBH I have pretty much decided against flipping (m)any more watches, and thus very much looking to limit any incomers to the odd one or two and have probably given up on any expensive purchases BUT Black Friday is not too far away, and though I have as mentioned a couple of sub £500.00 watches in my sights, I am going to wait, I think, to see if anything of note comes up in 6 weeks or so that I wished I had held on to some of that dosh for, and thus keep my powder dry for a bit longer.

Is anybody else hanging back just now in the hope of snagging something nice in November?

JJ

i am waiting to buy one last watch ,But  not for the watch market to change or any price drops/deals .

i am waiting to see how much food , gas, electric ,tax, petrol rises !!! and with with Christmas round the corner can i afford another expensive watch ! i had a little casio spree a few months ago as a reward for not buying a watch for going on 18months , but on the scale i want to spend i have to be sure i can afford it and not have to sell within weeks it to fund a supermarket shop!!:laugh:

dean.m

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Not particularly.

Having slimmed down the number of watches I have to the point that calling it a 'collection' is pushing the definition to its limits :laugh: and the only 'new' watch this year was a lovely raffle win here...

:rltrlt:

...I would be interested only in something that for specific reasons is interesting to me, and yet affordable, like a O&W P104 or Milus Snow Star.  But unfortunately both fall outside the capacity of my wallet atm and things are unlikely to improve in time for any sales event, esp given @deano1956's point. :sadwalk:

snow_star_silver_3_600x.jpg?v=1608668341Ollech-and-Wajs-OW-P-104-pilot-watch_204

Edited by RTM Boy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RTM Boy said:

Not particularly.

Having slimmed down the number of watches I have to the point that calling it a 'collection' is pushing the definition to its limits :laugh: and the only 'new' watch this year was a lovely raffle win here...

:rltrlt:

...I would be interested only in something that for specific reasons is interesting to me, and yet affordable, like a O&W P104 or Milus Snow Star.  But unfortunately both fall outside the capacity of my wallet atm and things are unlikely to improve in time for any sales event, esp given @deano1956's point. :sadwalk:

snow_star_silver_3_600x.jpg?v=1608668341Ollech-and-Wajs-OW-P-104-pilot-watch_204

I love that Milus, @Karrusel is a lucky owner of one and it brightens any WRUW thread it graves imo.

@JayDeep should quite trying to love a Cartier that he doesn't really want and get one of those beauties.

:whistle:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

My last one of the year had to be returned (damaged) so I have it still to be replaced. A few good things from that, I've seen it and know I like it..  I still have the excitement of unpacking (again).. then there's the bracelet purchase decisions.. a reshuffle of my display.. the daily wear options.. and I have all that time to think carefully about how to improve my collection next year.. 

With my display box full of interesting numbers, I reckon that any purchases I make next year will be much more expensive than this year (to the best of my ability) moving from £10-£250 into fewer purchases of £250-£1000 maybe 3 or 4. 

So I think my powder will be staying dry until my first purchase in March for my birthday present. This year it was a £600 Tacs, next year who knows.. I'm hoping for something very tasty saved from 5 months of scrimping and saving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

I did that at least half a dozen times.

Nice use of the old Mark Twain quote & definitely applicable to watch buying ... Giving up smoking is easy… I've done it hundreds of times” :yes:

• Like 3

Yet another one putting temptation under my nosegroan.gif.f922618873ab7b2d0deffc5cb14310ba.gif Leave me alone  "I MUST NOT PURCHASE ANYMORE WATCHES THIS YEAR""I MUST NOT PURCHASE ANYMORE WATCHES THIS YEAR""I MUST NOT PURCHASE ANYMORE WATCHES THIS YEAR""I MUST NOT PURCHASE ANYMORE WATCHES THIS YEAR""I MUST NOT PURCHASE ANYMORE WATCHES THIS YEAR" x500 times. If it continues I might have to turn this Forum offlong-nose-smiley.gif.e8f9d0e8e136c78361dcfc70c60e01e2.gif. I'll be back to Watches Anonymous again later today- Black Bloody Fridaynono.gif.dca32c6211babeff3cadfe0f716b6854.gif.7e6d164255391c7cc6b07553b3ee8517.gif 

• Haha 2

I'm going on a cruise (Caribbean) in Nov so looking forward to seeing what's available on the ship. It's costing us a fair bit on top of the price of the actual cruise - covid proof travel insurance, excursions, PCR test, parking at the airport etc etc etc - but it'll be worth it just to get away from Blighty for a while & to see some sun :thumbs_up: 

Not decided which other watch(es) to take apart from my orange Ratio diver for all that snorkeling :)

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

No. I'm looking for something, and I'll buy it when I see it. :yes:

Same as me. I keep looking but can't seem to find anything which I really like. Whatever I buy it has got to be a keeper so there must be no doubt in my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Nothing left for me this year (only purchases were a 50 quid Vostok Amphibia and a 19.99 Casio!) but I have got a birthday still to come so there’s still potential for an incoming newbie. Failing that, I’m getting married next year and have my eye on one or two options - budget depending on how much left from the fiancé’s dress…so might be another Vostok!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, WickerBill said:

Keep an eye on Ernest Jones. They have had some amazing deals this year and last. 

On that point I hagled on chat with them in the middle of the year so not a christmas deal but I ended up paying £360 for the Seiko SPB079J1, the Blue bezeled Marine Master 200 on a rubber strap, normally priced at £600 od to £800 everywhere. Scary how big the mark up is, down side means I can never pay retail for anything, I have to have a decent discount.  

3 hours ago, Dilly said:

On that point I hagled on chat with them in the middle of the year so not a christmas deal but I ended up paying £360 for the Seiko SPB079J1, the Blue bezeled Marine Master 200 on a rubber strap, normally priced at £600 od to £800 everywhere. Scary how big the mark up is, down side means I can never pay retail for anything, I have to have a decent discount.  

Their margins are around 37.5% on most items. thats why A) you can get 0% finance, becuase the cost of the finance is hidden in the RRP and B) If you have the money on hand you can get about 15%-20% discount, because it still leaves margin for the retailer. 

Ever wonder how they can discount 20% at Christmas?.....thats how....

Oh Also with Ernest Jones, if you sign up to their newsletter you can get 10% on your first purchase. 

• Like 1