• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Manuel Watch

lee j

Hi all, Iam looking to buy awatch for my 40th birthday it must be a manuel wind up just call me old fashioned but if your going to spend upwards of £2000 pounds then i feel it should be that type of movment . At the moment the omega speedmaster is favourite the one with saphire crystal face and back . The question is who else makes manuel wind up watches that you would recomend. cheers leej :happybday:

Welcome to the forum :)

The Speedmaster is a fine choice, a design classic :)

If you can I would say drop in to a large branch of Goldsmiths, they should be able to show you a large range of watches, there is no sustitute for handling them 'in the metal' especialy if you dont know the ranges they have, you would be surprised at how some watches 'feel' right when others you thought you would love, dont....Good luck, you might find your first thought/choice is the right one ;)

Meester Fawlty....! :P:lol::lol::lol:

Er like Jason says, if youve not handled any as yet you should have a sit in the local jewelers and compare the Omegas to othe similar watches etc so you get a feel for what you like and dont like in the hand and on the wrist. My choice would be a Panerai 112i at round £2000 as it would hold its value better and is a classic but ymmv. :)

There is too much butter on those trays!

I like the Tag Monaco ( I know it's not a Manuel wind-up. And oh boy is he a wind-up :lol: ). I'm sorry can't hide it, can't help it, I dig the Monaco. Now I would never buy one (well not for the asking price) because there are a lot of other options that offer more "watch" for the price. I mean a proper good movement, maybe in-house, with some history, so from that point of view the Speedmaster sounds like a good option to me. But there's a lot of choice out there, and if you are willing to consider secondhand, you are spoiled for choice!

Good luck!

Eees hghamster, not rat...

Namaste - I have a Monaco and its a great watch but agree that if you were looking to get one special watch I expect I wouldnt pick it as an outright winner. The movt is the new ETA as used in the Doxa TGraph and not the standard 7750 which helps justify its price of course. Both the TAG and the Omega can be had with discounts so should easily come in under £2k imho, even on the high street. Agreed both are 1000-1200 used in good condition with boxes etc.

I guess if youre that way inclined and wanted something special then for £2k and above youd look to Rolex - elegant classic designs and in house movements. I have one and its special to me - if all the rest had to be sold it would be the one I would keep. :)

Some other manual wind watches on my wishlist:

The Hanhart 1939 Replica Flieger. A clean classic design, with the coin bezel and cathedral hands.

The Eberhard Traversetolo, which has a display back.

Both are in your price range--the Traversetolo, well under. (Then, for a dress option, there's the Lange 1815. I can always dream.)

Speedmaster is a great choice, though. I like the one with broad arrows hands and moon phase. (However, I showed the picture to my 9 year old, and explained it was a version of the only watch worn on the moon. She pointed out that if it is to be worn on the moon, the moonphase ought to show full all the time. Couldn't argue with that.)

Edited by Beau

Oh come on chaps! The speedy is indeed a classic, but does the OP have to buy new?

With a little looking 2K will buy a stunning 18 carat dress watch from Patek, Audemars, Vacheron or Piaget.

A true landmark gift to oneself, and something you'll keep forever.

Oh come on chaps! The speedy is indeed a classic, but does the OP have to buy new?

With a little looking 2K will buy a stunning 18 carat dress watch from Patek, Audemars, Vacheron or Piaget.

A true landmark gift to oneself, and something you'll keep forever.

I would personally keep the speedy forever and of course no worries with previous service history but good suggestions for alternatives nonetheless witch is what Lee j originally asked for..............

Cheers for all your feedback have been searching the net for all watches mentioned and iam still making my mind up. Iwould like to ask you all what you think of the maurice lacroix pontos model no pt7548 5501 330 as my wife showed it me on a recent shopping trip and is a very nice watch ????? cheers leej