• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

My Retirement Present To Myself

Colin Belfast

I love the Aqua Terra, I have one in blue and should have bought the one you have chosen when I had the opportunity but unfortunately took too long to decide. However I actually  think the Cartier Santos is a far more special watch for such an occasion. I would not presume to make another suggestion for an event such as this.  The most important thing  is buying the watch that talks to you and try them both on.  I would however suggest however, that should you buy the Omega to get it on the bracelet and buy the rubber strap aftermarket as it tends to be cheaper that way. 

Edited by Porker63

If you haven’t seen it yet here’s a link to my (long) post on my search for a watch in a similar price bracket -

The white/orange Aqua Terra is a great every day watch, the others are a bit more dressy. 

I would add the Omega Seamaster 300(not 300M) to the list, this is much better in the flesh than in photos and felt a much better watch than the Aqua Terra and if going dressier the JLC Master Control Ultra Thin is a bit special in the flesh.

If you can stretch a bit then the JLC, Glashutte Original and Blancpain all felt in a class above the Omega, the Grand seiko were very well finished but I did not warm to the ones I saw. 

Best to get out there and put on your rhino skin coat and brave a few shops/salesperson to get a feel for what you like and don’t like. I did that and then shopped on line for a better deal (save 20% on high street prices). Also always worth buying the bracelet version and then adding the rubber/leather strap, cheapest way.

Good luck and happy hunting and do keep us updated. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Porker63 said:

I love the Aqua Terra, I have one in blue and should have bought the one you have chosen when I had the opportunity but unfortunately took too long to decide. However I actually  think the Cartier Santos is a far more special watch for such an occasion. I would not presume to make another suggestion for an event such as this.  The most important thing  is buying the watch that talks to you and try them both on.  I would however suggest however, that should you buy the Omega to get it on the bracelet and buy the rubber strap aftermarket as it tends to be cheaper that way. 

I'm not a massive fan of bracelets at all and if I end up going for the Aqua Terra would most likely get the tan leather and rubber strap to give me both options.  I'm hopeful that I'll be able to try on all five options in a local dealers although am tempted by some of the prices on Chrono 24.

4 minutes ago, Ugg10 said:

If you haven’t seen it yet here’s a link to my (long) post on my search for a watch in a similar price bracket -

The white/orange Aqua Terra is a great every day watch, the others are a bit more dressy. 

I would add the Omega Seamaster 300(not 300M) to the list, this is much better in the flesh than in photos and felt a much better watch than the Aqua Terra and if going dressier the JLC Master Control Ultra Thin is a bit special in the flesh.

If you can stretch a bit then the JLC, Glashutte Original and Blancpain all felt in a class above the Omega, the Grand seiko were very well finished but I did not warm to the ones I saw. 

Best to get out there and put on your rhino skin coat and brave a few shops/salesperson to get a feel for what you like and don’t like. I did that and then shopped on line for a better deal (save 20% on high street prices). Also always worth buying the bracelet version and then adding the rubber/leather strap, cheapest way.

Good luck and happy hunting and do keep us updated. 

I did enjoy your post and the numerous responses.   Thanks for the good suggestions of alternatives however as I'm in Northern Ireland I suspect I may struggle to find a dealer for many of them over here as I won't be buying without trying.  I do appreciate the workmanship in Grand Seiko but really struggle with the thought of splashing out that amount of money on a Seiko. 

• Like 1

My natural instinct In this situation is say the Aqua Terra……

….but then I’ve tried on the Santos, and I’m afraid my Omega fanboyism has to go in the closet. 

the Santos is an incredible watch, the bracelet is outstanding and the fit is incredibly good. Plus you get a quick change rubber strap so can dress it up or down.

the Tank I wouldn’t get, purely because the Santos is better. 

the Monaco? It’s something you’d need to try on. It’s a great watch but you need a big wrist to carry it off comfortably 

• Like 1

Santos for me, I got admit I have a soft soft it after seeing the flesh. Agree with some the previous comments if retirement present and not going to be your beater, if so then 1st seamaster also really like that particular version white face with orange sets it off nicely. 

Most important thing is to wear in good health and enjoy your retirement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craftycockney said:

Truer words were never spoken. No matter what your choice your first priority must be your health. Take it from me I’ve been there and hopefully Now back on the mend to enjoy it  Pray.png.28888abf4d1f0752d9e6ad277ed0cb5d.png

• Like 2

Either of the Cartiers. The Tank is lovely, though I’ve heard them referred to as effeminate, overpriced fashion watches with a built-in tiara. (Can’t think where?)

As a Tank owner myself f I think they are wonderful watches if you are man enough to wear them.:yes:

Edited by AVO
  • Sad 1

I’d be battling between the Tank and the Santos. I’m almost certain that I’ll have one of the 2 myself one day although I think that I’ll have plenty of time to make my decision!

Great selection though and the only way to really decide between them is on the wrist I reckon.

Santos!

I think the Monaco is one you either know you definitely want above the rest, or it’s not the pick out of those.

Of the rest though, all very personal. The Santos is great and would be my pick. I think they have the quick change straps too. Also really like the Seamaster with orange accents and black/orange strap as well. 

What else have you got in the collection? Any gaping holes you’re looking to fill or looking to ‘upgrade’ something else etc.?

37 minutes ago, Ugg10 said:

Beautiful looking watch but no papers and I couldn't get past having to buy on ebay.

• Like 1

of your choice my pick is the santos,  i am still waiting to get my retirement watch from april 2020 its a big financial decision for what i now realise will be worn very little ! as i have discovered my retirement i have a lot less/little or no need to wear a watch at all!:huh:, so it comes down to habit and desire to wear a watch :), which ever you chose ( except the tag sorry tag owners) i am sure you will be happy with

deano 

13 hours ago, wrenny1969 said:

Cartier Santos as its the only one to come on a metal strap. Enjoy whatever you decide on :thumbsup:

Strangely I'm not a fan of metal straps and the fact it comes with a rubber strap too means that if I end up with it I suspect that the metal strap wil be rarely.

16 hours ago, Craftycockney said:

Santos for me, I got admit I have a soft soft it after seeing the flesh. Agree with some the previous comments if retirement present and not going to be your beater, if so then 1st seamaster also really like that particular version white face with orange sets it off nicely. 

I'm leaning towards the Seamaster and would likely buy the second strap too to be able to swop about.  It would make a nice partner for my late father in laws vintage Seamaster De Ville that I'm the current custodian of.

13 hours ago, Igerswis said:

All those watches are very different. For me if I reach retirement age it would be the Cartier Santos for a more dressy and formal sophisticated watch, or if your not a conservative person and are more outgoing then the Monaco Gulf due to the size, shape and colours.

The Omega Aquaterras do nothing for me. Have you considered the Speedmaster Moonphase at all? That would be inbetween the Cartier and Monaco IMO in terms of style.

KQInuBe.jpg

That's a nice watch but for me the dial is a bit fussy.  I prefer a much planer look - says he who named a Monaco as a possible purchase!!

9 hours ago, Bobby123 said:

I think the Monaco is one you either know you definitely want above the rest, or it’s not the pick out of those.

Of the rest though, all very personal. The Santos is great and would be my pick. I think they have the quick change straps too. Also really like the Seamaster with orange accents and black/orange strap as well. 

What else have you got in the collection? Any gaping holes you’re looking to fill or looking to ‘upgrade’ something else etc.?

I haven't tried on any of these and have quite a small wrist so it may become apparent that some (or all) just aren't for me.   I've a bit of a mixed collection at the moment i.e all over the place,  1960s Omega Seamaster De Ville (belonged to my late father in law), Mondaine quartz only purchased last week, Infantry combat (Kickstarter) and a Citizen Eco Drive (30 years pressy from employer), Ice rubber watch great for getting knocked about and my grandfathers old Tegra. The first and last are the most valuable to me and only the Omega is of any real financial value.