• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

“Ordinary” watches get most wrist time?

svk

I have been a collector for a long time and own watches at various price points.

I find that the maximum wrist time is hogged by “ordinary” timepieces, those that can be easily replaced, if need be. 
The “big and the rare” only adorn the boxes! 
Is this common?

It’s a catch 22 for me, I want them, but rarely on the wrist!

• Like 2

I think this is just human nature. The more you desire and pay for an object, the more you fear losing or damaging it. And let's face it, if you wear a watch a lot, it will get scratched and dented.

If you look in a supermarket car park, the expensive sports cars are all parked miles from the store, and the really wealthy owners have left that car at home and have driven there in their "beater" car :laugh:

I'm not talking about forum members, but for those buying watches mainly for investment, I imagine they are terrified of wearing their expensive watches as every mark reduces the profit margin.

• Agree 2

My most worn pieces are my Sub and JLC.

Both have the odd small mark, but I'd rather that than not wear them.

There is, of course, a risk that either could be damaged, broken, or thieved, but both are insured and neither would be terribly hard to replace.

Lm1wDvb.jpg

MkVJDcb.jpg

I have beaters, but they are for gardening, brewing, DIY (Swatch Irony chrono and knackered G-shock).

• Like 3

Ive built a collection around having watches for specific purposes, that way im never afraid to wear a watch, each watch serves its purpose and is suitable for its application. 

Apple Watch - Beater

Speedmaster - For when i go racing

Zenith Pilot - For day to day use

Skyflake - For when im out in town/ pubs and clubs etc

Airking - Saved for formal dinners etc. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Duncan U. said:

If you look in a supermarket car park, the expensive sports cars are all parked miles from the store, and the really wealthy owners have left that car at home and have driven there in their "beater" car :laugh:

Usually some kind of Panzerwagen that takes up one and a half parking spaces.

On the subject of watches, I wear my favourite ones the most. They happen to be the most expensive in general.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AVO said:

Usually some kind of Panzerwagen that takes up one and a half parking spaces.

For years I drove a big American F350 Dually truck, it was to long and to wide for the spaces. I took up four parking bays in the Tesco car park. I got more parking tickets than you could shake a stick at. 

I did my all my own servicing all the while wearing my LV, wearing a bit of Armani and a pair of Raybans

IMG_2894.thumb.JPG.2c35ff4c142f5ee052ad3

Never judge a book by it's cover

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Agree 1

Speedy is my most worn watch, the others for 'mood' days (If it is pouring with rain and I am yomping the hills with the dog, then the G-Shock comes out) and my Milton Khaki Field for working the ambulance - If only because it is titanium and rubber and will survive a dunk in boiling water to remove bodily fluids....

I would say that I have two beaters...and when I mean beaters I mean BEATERS (Casio MRW-200H, and a Pulsar Solar Dive watch...PX3033X1) I don't care if they get 'killed' in the line of duty.

The other 100+ watches get worn at some point or another, but I don't wear anything for too long, I have been known to swap a watch over three or four times a day for no particular reason.

Ordinary watches???....:hmmm9uh:I have bought some really sh!te watches, but I don't think I've bought any ordinary watches, however that really is a matter of opinion :biggrin:

One man's treasure is another man's sh!te...

IMG_20201009_102033138.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

am heading back to (almost * ) relatively speaking my one good watch one beater days.

as stated so oft :sorry:am not a collector ... tried, but just not.  I like a new watch every now and then. meticulous planning, stupid amounts of research, forum discussion, comparison followed by a tangential random impulse purchase probably sum me up best.

all of that said I can understand some peoples need to keep their 'precious' all new and shiny. however apparently one belongs to the other group of some people who get their boots scuffed and muddy. actually more likely a smaller subset thereof, who get 'a' pair of boot muffed and scuddy. indeed I was taken to task on this very forum for showing a picture of very used red wing boots a year or two ago - but that is a digression too far.

the actual point of this ramble - yup there is one - the beater / everyday / ordinary watches in my non collection usually get more use but still usually outlast their 'betters'. my G5610 is 14 years old - it replaced my 5600 at the advent of multiband 6 (as opposed to 5 - mainland china where I had worked briefly just previously, and ironically then never returned to) it (the 5600) was still in great shape when replaced. prior to that my work watch was an early casio waveceptor (which I sold and rebought - another digression sorry) - also solar and radio controlled purchased whist at uni way back when. many other 'better' watches have come and gone.

the only exception to this is my tag 2000 which was bought new about 17 years ago. even though its a tag, its quartz, its bi metal - assuming i shuffle off this mortal coil before the movement dies  - then this is the one that I'll will be buried ** with. 

as one of my favourite teachers *** used to say 'the devil makes work for idle hands' - in my case its these posts.

you should know me by now, frankly i am amazed you got this far :laughing2dw:

toodles.

* 2 probably out before next purchase - 3 if moolah raising is an issue . about 5 'ish is the right number for me .. and not a WIS ish either, actually about 5 or 6. 

** figuratively speaking - have specified cremation and a very very boozey wake after suitable checking that am actually dead!

*** the better part of my most formative education was provided by the Sisters of Mercy ****, the not so better part of my education was at the mercy of a few barmaids. funny old world isn't it!

**** yes really, and before you try and be funny (thats my job here) the band are named after the teaching order, so there!

Edited by Rotundus
yet more tomfoolery
  • Haha 1

My daily watches are my cheapest ones. They most likely were Seikos but have made way for a few SteelDives and Vostoks of late. Although I'm an office worker and I usually take watches off when I do anything remotely manual, I tend to find my pricier watches stay in the boxes unless I have a need to wear something smarter or more fancy. Admittedly, my most expensive is a TAG Aquaracer so not a patch on the cost of some watches, but I have a handful of TAGs and they see the least wrist time. 

Oddly I do the same with my cars, I drive an 18 year old Shogun for daily duties as it's relaxing to know you're not too fussed if it picked up the odd dent or scratch! 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 16:42, svk said:

I have been a collector for a long time and own watches at various price points.

I find that the maximum wrist time is hogged by “ordinary” timepieces, those that can be easily replaced, if need be. 
The “big and the rare” only adorn the boxes! 
Is this common?

It’s a catch 22 for me, I want them, but rarely on the wrist!

No, I totally get this. I think it depends on one's disposable income though. I've owned watches costing a few grand that I never wore, back when a few grand took me several months to save up. Now a few grand disposable is a monthly occurrence for me so I wear the more expensive and treasured pieces much more often.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2021 at 12:32, Alpha550t said:

Myself, I can't see the point of owning something and not using it.    I tell my wife that often but to no avail  !

:laugh::laugh:

On 08/11/2021 at 12:13, SolaVeritate said:

"Ordinary" watches? 

:hmmm9uh:Such a strange concept. 

I prefer 'humdrum' or 'commonplace', so anything with Seiko or Rolex on the dial :laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, I think you mustn't be too precious about 'stuff'.  We all shuffle off our mortal coils at some point (whenever that is is getting closer all the time) and we can't take anything with us.  Certainly there are watches whose value can be affected by their condition - we know which ones and why - but then I would ask if owners wary of wearing say a mint Hulk always have it fully insured as a high-value item, with requisite security (eg professionally installed safe, alarm system, or safe-deposit box).  And if you do, where's the fun in that?  Or is it just a source of worry? :hmmm9uh:

In a way I count myself lucky that I've never had a high income that would have allowed me to splash out.  And I'm quite happy with that.  If the state of the crystal on my Pulsar doesn't shout "beater", I'm not sure what does :laugh: and that's not even my cheapest watch!

large.581551373_P1000710(1024x769).jpg.cf9dbf0a1698fb750107e39009ab41f3.jpg

For me if, for whatever reason, anyone feels reluctant to wear a watch for fear of what might happen to it, it rather negates the point of owning it.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

For me if, for whatever reason, anyone feels reluctant to wear a watch for fear of what might happen to it, it rather negates the point of owning it.

Agreed, although i can get a wee bit (just a wee bit :whistle:) OCD with new watches and try as far as possible to keep them scratch free, if i own it i wear it, no point in collecting dust in a box. If fear of damage was to stop me from wearing a watch, then I wouldn't be buying that watch.

• Agree 2

I never been precious about my watches. I couldn't care less about a few scratches and dings. The rolex watches I have owned seemed very robust and my only fear was getting mugged not in damaging them. I don't give my Breitling superocean 42 a second thought when I wear it.

However, I don't wear my Franck Muller very often because I am scared of damaging it and also because of the cost of servicing it. I would wear a rolex in the garage or garden but not the FM. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me it is a beautiful watch.

125579659_20210517_1539322.thumb.jpg.14977fd73bafe1ce06788488fbe0f16e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is a bit of a circular topic this, and it's related to lolly I think. If a person is fabulously wealthy then a rolex probably is a "beater" and a Patek may stay in the safe for a special occasion.

My beater is a gshock so regrettably am not in the above category.  

In saying that, there is a lot to be said for not being able to take it with you, and if you like it, wear it a lot.

(Just not doing gardening or painting the house)