Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Pocket Watch Week - WHYG?


Recommended Posts

Let's see your pocket watches!

I currently have nine, with two exceptiona all working well. Nothing particularly valuable or rare but I get a lot of pleasure from handling, winding and setting them :biggrin:

Seven of them pictured below as my Smiths has gone missing, probably somewhere safe! And an English fusee watch with a Faversham signed dial has been at a watch repairers so long I doubt I will ever see it again.

Back row L to R:

Lancashire Watch Co English Lever movement.

American Waltham Watch Co (A.W.W.Co), Am.W.Co movement with a serial number which dates it Sep 1887 to Mar 1888, key wound and front set, the movement is housed in a Birmingham hallmarked silver case dated 1897 with the A●B maker's mark of Waltham Watch Company in England which was based in London.

Elgin National Watch Co., G.M.Wheeler Grade 82 movement, stem wound and lever set, serial number dates the watch to 1895, case is nickel by Illinois Watch Case Co.

Middle Row l to R:

Full Hunter cased with an English movement, possibly Coventry made, dial signed R. Richardson a Middlesbrough jeweller. The movement is stem wound and set, possibly early 1920's, case might be later as it is engraved with a 1934 inscription. Needs some work, the pawl is missing and probably needs a new main spring, not sure what to do with it.

Rotherham and Sons, Coventry movement and case, dial and movement signed Russells Limited, Liverpool, silver case with a 1906 hallmark is in great condition. Stem wound and pin set.

Doxa pocket watch with an FHF movement signed A.G. Mascall a Middlesbrough jeweller, the case is signed Doxa and is made from Argentan (nickel, copper, zinc alloy), dated 1920's.

Bottom row:

Last but not least a small West End Watch Co pocket watch made almost exclusively for the India market, this one date from about 1937. Many were issued to public servants, railways etc  

large.20211108_093507.jpg.4deda81d31d4e9c27fa21f6300baabd4.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Just a couple for now...

1892 Silver cased Rotherham & Son, Coventry.

RPOMdOD.jpg

n2vfPoY.jpg

F4UMR1X.jpg

 

1929 Gold cased Rotherham & Son, Coventry.

FJ8F5OI.jpg

wtcN4X0.jpg

 

1878 Silver cased Adam Burdess, Coventry.

yqQU2jy.jpg

mJ3piQK.jpg

FnijeKL.jpg

 

Gold cased Bahne Bonniksen 'Karrusel', Coventry.

zxsBp4k.jpg

BqJRvtE.jpg

Jf06Nn8.jpg

 

1920 Thomas Russell & Son.

vQ7sX4x.jpg

8sN4Iz3.jpg

sfWhCPs.jpg

 

1951 Elgin 'Railroad'

2Hm6dnC.jpg

du1yhPt.jpg

1p6e0pK.jpg

 

1911 Silver cased Stauffer Son & Co.

pU17vrU.jpg

i2fKMxV.jpg

 

1827 Vale & Rotherham, Coventry, Silver 'Pair cased' Verge Fusse.

ikgJmmD.jpg

pg6LmGb.jpg

b64nauk.jpg

QGSLZmA.jpg

zOx1sMW.jpg

wp4C4Ys.jpg

 

How many PW's. Goliath's, Deck/Dashboard clocks, haven't a clue...certainly not enough!

:biggrin:

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

 

Just a couple for now...

1892 Silver cased Rotherham & Son, Coventry.

RPOMdOD.jpg

n2vfPoY.jpg

F4UMR1X.jpg

 

1929 Gold cased Rotherham & Son, Coventry.

FJ8F5OI.jpg

wtcN4X0.jpg

 

1878 Silver cased Adam Burdess, Coventry.

yqQU2jy.jpg

mJ3piQK.jpg

FnijeKL.jpg

 

Gold cased Bahne Bonniksen 'Karrusel', Coventry.

zxsBp4k.jpg

BqJRvtE.jpg

Jf06Nn8.jpg

 

1920 Thomas Russell & Son.

vQ7sX4x.jpg

8sN4Iz3.jpg

sfWhCPs.jpg

 

1951 Elgin 'Railroad'

2Hm6dnC.jpg

du1yhPt.jpg

1p6e0pK.jpg

 

1911 Silver cased Stauffer Son & Co.

pU17vrU.jpg

i2fKMxV.jpg

 

1827 Vale & Rotherham, Coventry, Silver 'Pair cased' Verge Fusse.

ikgJmmD.jpg

pg6LmGb.jpg

b64nauk.jpg

QGSLZmA.jpg

zOx1sMW.jpg

wp4C4Ys.jpg

 

How many PW's. Goliath's, Deck/Dashboard clocks, haven't a clue...certainly not enough!

:biggrin:

Awesome collection. :notworthy:

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did have quite a large selection of Pocket watches earlier this year but decided to off load the Smiths and Ingersolls as they were popping up on ebay all the time. I have however retained two working pocket watches that I particularly like.

The first one is a 

The Dreadnaught, I believe was a watch produced by the Record Watch Company SA and was based in Tramelan, Geneva, Switzerland.

It manufactured watches from 1903 and I believe that this watch is probably a 1920s Dreadnought pocket watch.

The watch has a good quality Dreadnought stem-winding movement, with jeweled pallets, a whiplash regulator and damascening, which is working nicely. The movement is protected by an inner hinged cover.

The watch itself measures 50.7mm diameter excluding the winding stem and the loop. The case is gold plated and made by ALD Dennison, Birmingham. The case has light surface marks from use but overall, it is in nice condition.

The watch lens is glass and is in nice condition with only the odd minor mark.The white enamel dial has a faint hairline crack towards the 1 o'clock although hardly noticeable. 

image.png.5ea356172b4344284fdbeedb95e65db4.png    image.png.18639a939db7ef6c75e20993bb5aceb4.png

The second pocket watch is my Vintage Art Deco GT Revue Pocket watch

Case material Yellow Gold (Gold Plated) with a clear good condition yellow gold dial embossed with Arabic Numerals. It is a Gedeon Thommen Revue Mechanical Movement Pocket watch dating back to the 1920s.

Gold Hunter Slim-line Pocket Watch quality 17 jewel Revue swiss mechanical manual wind-up movement in fully working condition circa 1920’s the elegant slim-line Case serial no. 2673626 size 50mm with diamond shaped engraved pattern with beading around which matches the gold diamond patterned dial with raised gold stylized numerals surrounded by outer ring indicator for 24hr clock and chaptered seconds dial at 6 o’clock

 image.png.e233284c1450015779a31a9087d2b442.png image.png.3a46da7c6ed4e2dd4ef0fc99d6d35abc.png  image.png.cd363d23dd28d88b244316599ea845d7.png  image.png.18d34f1939cd39b440f00e61861735e1.png

Both of these watches I wear on a regular basis either with my jeans when I wear them in a case on my belt or with my jacket where they are worn in the breast pocket secured by a leather lapel strap

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is anyone making modern, not quartz, decent quality pocket watches ?

Have had Smiths, Ingersol & various Turkish Railway pocket watches in the past but they have all been vintage.  

 

Whats out there folks ? If fit helps to avoid thread hijacking you could just pm me links :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

Is anyone making modern, not quartz, decent quality pocket watches ?

Have had Smiths, Ingersol & various Turkish Railway pocket watches in the past but they have all been vintage.  

 

Whats out there folks ? If fit helps to avoid thread hijacking you could just pm me links :thumbsup:

Without hijacking too much, Jean Pierre, Greenwich and Mount Royal could be worth a search.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a few.

John Bennett, Cheapside, London, silver case 1872.

John Bennett, Cheapside, 1872Bennett movement

Sir John Bennett Ltd, silver case from 1897

Sir John Bennett Ltd 1897Sir John Bennett Ltd 1897

Berry & Sons, West Hartlepool, silver case from 1878 by Edward Wilday of Coventry.

IMG_6864_1Berry pocket watch

Berry's shop in West Hartlepool from mid 1890s, then G. E. Berry.

image.png.8a902506057cb9fa13143883ad836902.png

George Trorey, Vancouver BC, gold filled open faced case with Omega 19 ligne movement, late 1890s. Screw bezel case with sun and moon trademark by Crescent Watch Case Co, trademark registered 1893.

Geo. Trorey, Vancouver pocket watchTrorey pocket watch

George Trorey, Vancouver BC, hunter with Omega 12 ligne movement, from circa 1901. Goldfilled J. Boss 14K 25 years case.

IMG_6352

large.IMG_6900.JPG.61be4b98328215b3a3bf81e50fbaa9d1.JPG

George Trorey's shop, which was sold to Henry Birks Ltd of Montreal in 1907. George stayed on as manager till 1914 and was the Canadian Pacific Railroad watch inspector for Vancouver.

03beaac606b99f34af5da8c33411041c

Mysterious Sackville "Railway Lever", could be from the 1930s up to 1950s. Movement is a Junghans J55, which was developed for Ingersoll and used in their Regent range, but was also used by Junghans themselves. Most Sackville watches use a script typeface for the name, use Helvetia movements and have case marks owned by General Watch Co. I have no idea what relation this has to the GWC Sackvilles, if any, or to Sackville wind up gramophones from the same period.

Sackville Railway LeverJunghans J55

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is the only one i own it was awarded to my grandad in 1936 for saving a woman who fell through the ice on the canal . he was on the way to work when he saw her go through and jumped in and saved her . i plan to get it serviced and cleaned but leave some patina on some day . my dad had some fingers fitted about 20 years ago so im not sure if they are correct but they didnt have second finger it does run for about 1 hr when wound ive no idea how much that would cost though.

20211108_181051.thumb.jpg.9fe90610d520526e199ff9e48f47cf1d.jpg

 

20211108_180932.thumb.jpg.8e6c62a93d4a2a943ab2fb1699c5a607.jpg

 

20211108_181008.thumb.jpg.5ba4aedd664e2b978ea7948abeeef048.jpg

 

20211108_181038.thumb.jpg.c2dc9f2bb16259f03b0e79199cb254ed.jpg

 

20211108_174630.thumb.jpg.c10c0ec1f26d68b708eb4000c7964a8d.jpg

 

sorry about having to tilt your head for some of them

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ging said:

this is the only one i own it was awarded to my grandad in 1936 for saving a woman who fell through the ice on the canal . he was on the way to work when he saw her go through and jumped in and saved her . i plan to get it serviced and cleaned but leave some patina on some day . my dad had some fingers fitted about 20 years ago so im not sure if they are correct but they didnt have second finger it does run for about 1 hr when wound ive no idea how much that would cost though.

20211108_181051.thumb.jpg.9fe90610d520526e199ff9e48f47cf1d.jpg

 

20211108_180932.thumb.jpg.8e6c62a93d4a2a943ab2fb1699c5a607.jpg

 

20211108_181008.thumb.jpg.5ba4aedd664e2b978ea7948abeeef048.jpg

 

20211108_181038.thumb.jpg.c2dc9f2bb16259f03b0e79199cb254ed.jpg

 

20211108_174630.thumb.jpg.c10c0ec1f26d68b708eb4000c7964a8d.jpg

 

sorry about having to tilt your head for some of them

Very brave man considering it was November and the canal was covered in ice. Be nice to get it cleaned and serviced but personally i wouldnt have it polished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, chas g said:

Very brave man considering it was November and the canal was covered in ice. Be nice to get it cleaned and serviced but personally i wouldnt have it polished.

i wont have it polished just cleaned

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Ging said:

dad had some fingers fitted about 20 years ago so im not sure if they are correct but they didnt have second finger it does run for about 1 hr when wound ive no idea how much that would cost though.

I presume you mean  hands. Although I have stripped and rebuilt a number of pocket watches over the years I don’t profess to be an expert but for something as sentimental as this timepiece it might well be worth finding a good watchmaker and getting a quote to restore it. Watches from this era tend to be quite robust and being a Waltham it shouldn’t be too difficult to source spare parts particularly hands.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your story with us thumbsup.gif.614c2f20d34c198607eb9bc72730ee69.gif Rrre.gif.bf2fc6bf526f7b80f38a6d2715516c9f.gif

Edited by Welsh Wizard
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

I presume you mean  hands. Although I have stripped and rebuilt a number of pocket watches over the years I don’t profess to be an expert but for something as sentimental as this timepiece it might well be worth finding a good watchmaker and getting a quote to restore it. Watches from this era tend to be quite robust and being a Waltham it should be too difficult to source spare parts particularly hands.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your story with us thumbsup.gif.614c2f20d34c198607eb9bc72730ee69.gif Rrre.gif.bf2fc6bf526f7b80f38a6d2715516c9f.gif

yes hands not sure where i got fingers from must have been a brain fart lol. forgot to mention the case is made of silver

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/11/2021 at 15:01, spinynorman said:

I have a few.

John Bennett, Cheapside, London, silver case 1872.

John Bennett, Cheapside, 1872Bennett movement

Sir John Bennett Ltd, silver case from 1897

Sir John Bennett Ltd 1897Sir John Bennett Ltd 1897

Berry & Sons, West Hartlepool, silver case from 1878 by Edward Wilday of Coventry.

IMG_6864_1Berry pocket watch

Berry's shop in West Hartlepool from mid 1890s, then G. E. Berry.

image.png.8a902506057cb9fa13143883ad836902.png

George Trorey, Vancouver BC, gold filled open faced case with Omega 19 ligne movement, late 1890s. Screw bezel case with sun and moon trademark by Crescent Watch Case Co, trademark registered 1893.

Geo. Trorey, Vancouver pocket watchTrorey pocket watch

George Trorey, Vancouver BC, hunter with Omega 12 ligne movement, from circa 1901. Goldfilled J. Boss 14K 25 years case.

IMG_6352

large.IMG_6900.JPG.61be4b98328215b3a3bf81e50fbaa9d1.JPG

George Trorey's shop, which was sold to Henry Birks Ltd of Montreal in 1907. George stayed on as manager till 1914 and was the Canadian Pacific Railroad watch inspector for Vancouver.

03beaac606b99f34af5da8c33411041c

Mysterious Sackville "Railway Lever", could be from the 1930s up to 1950s. Movement is a Junghans J55, which was developed for Ingersoll and used in their Regent range, but was also used by Junghans themselves. Most Sackville watches use a script typeface for the name, use Helvetia movements and have case marks owned by General Watch Co. I have no idea what relation this has to the GWC Sackvilles, if any, or to Sackville wind up gramophones from the same period.

Sackville Railway LeverJunghans J55

 

It's interesting that you mentioned old West Hartlepool and coincidence that you stuck a like on my boat pictures in the camera phone thread. 

My pictures are from what was one of the old West Hartlepool docks. 

It was a thriving area at one time although Berry's is long gone. I know a bloke that collects old photos of Hartlepool, I'll pass yours on and ask if he knows anything about it. 

Cheers

B. 

Some useless information that may or may not interest you. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Hartlepool

:)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

It's interesting that you mentioned old West Hartlepool and coincidence that you stuck a like on my boat pictures in the camera phone thread. 

My pictures are from what was one of the old West Hartlepool docks. 

It was a thriving area at one time although Berry's is long gone. I know a bloke that collects old photos of Hartlepool, I'll pass yours on and ask if he knows anything about it. 

Cheers

B. 

Some useless information that may or may not interest you. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Hartlepool

:)

That's interesting, thanks. I guess the old docks area has become gentrified, compared to what it was. :)

I did some research on the Berrys, and discovered George Allan Berry was the son of James Berry, who was a clockmaker and nautical instrument maker working in Aberdeen from the 1830s - 1860s. George Allan's son, George Frank Berry was born in Cardiff in 1859, but by the 1881 census the family was living in Church Street, West Hartlepool. Both the Georges were watchmakers. In 1885 George Frank and his wife Margaret had a son, George Ernest, who I suppose is the G. E. Berry of the photo, though that would make the date more like the early 1900s. It appears the family emigrated to Toronto in 1910, so they really moved around.

Here's a ship's pelorus signed Berrry and Son, West Hartlepool, and part of a sextant, signed G. F. Berry.

image.png.b8641c4329ed551128cdd72502a7f69c.pngimage.png.9761a07df53fac993a56d95246bbc6d0.png

A pocket watch signed G. F. Berry, West Hartlepool and another signed Jas Berry, Aberdeen.

image.png.295753ac520087b96ad706dec3b23587.png  image.png.2d01e31bf94b562d13bc29fc99409852.png

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing fancy but a watch which has been with me underground since 1978 (and the occasional walk to see the ducks!)

I bought it from a long since closed independent jeweller in Whitby along with a rubber shroud, it was old stock so he gave me a small discount. The fob was given to me by a mining equipment sales rep a few years later. The original rubber shroud started to perish the one pictured is a replacement I managed to find a few years ago

large.PC150343.JPG.bfdc74a7b96a50ce58832e72a4c784a7.JPGlarge.P7150016s.jpg.01e1391b6c7d4f272e3cfb2d421ff432.jpglarge.DSC03154.JPG.f3b223e4c35d37df74e2ea923249eccc.JPGlarge.1986266607_IMAG16662.jpg.ef0fd67069feeb95f05a01baebabb627.jpg 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lancashire Watch Co English Lever movement (although I believe at this time LWC were using a Swiss lever escapement). Another oddity is that the movement has what is known as a dummy fusee so it winds in the anticlockwise direction the same as earlier genuine fusee watches, the hands are front set which is a bit fiddly unless you have a key with a rotating top. Silver case, hallmark indicates the watch is from 1901 which sounds about right. I will take the dust cover off and take a photo of the movement when I get chance

 

large.PB240305.JPG.fc26a0f69e9ceed5c4104ff108786720.JPG large.PB240308.JPG.93463d265919ecd1382012986f461cd8.JPGlarge.PB240310.JPG.9c355306c348ad76620d655d33d47693.JPGlarge.PB240312.JPG.ecd4cd524e5e2730bf2f1c2b1072e456.JPG

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...