• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Is a Beater/Travel watch truly necessary?

JayDeep

So I've narrowed my collection down from 30 to about 18, so far. A lot I've already donated. I'm only selling 3, the rest get donated, however I'm considering a few more to sell. I've set aside about 6 watches for categories I'm not really sure are worthwhile and I wanted your opinions. 

Are beaters and/or travel watches really necessary when you've already got so many?

I mean really, I can use any watch for travel. It's no different than a watch for regular daily use. And why bother with a few beaters? Honestly, I do wear them, and have a love for them, but if they were gone would I miss them, or just put something else on that's nicer and I enjoy more.

I think I'm more inclined to ditch the travel pieces (or at least start there... Baby steps here) than the beaters, seeing as I never travel because I hate it!!! Lol

Your thoughts?

• Like 2

For me a travel watch is not a necessity. When I do travel I just will use whatever takes my fancy from the collection and I have no desire to know what time it is back home, and even if I did some quick calculation is all which is needed. Plus I'm not all that fussed about GMT watches......yet.

A beater watch though is a little more needed, for me any ways. I do have a watch that I will wear when doing stuff where its going to get knocked to pieces and get stuff spilt on it. There's no point wearing an nice watch for such situations because the inevitable will most definitely happen and it will get damaged but with a dedicated beater watch that doesn't matter.

On a side note I don't really like the term beater! Although I am not offering any alternative  wording. It just doesn't sound right. 

It depends on the type of travel you're undertaking.  If it's a business trip where you're going to spend most of the day in meetings and the evenings at the hotel bar, or the type of holiday where you're going to spend most of your time languishing pool-side, then no, you don't need a dedicated watch for those activities.  If however, you're going to undertake some rigorous sport or rough it in the countryside living off the land for a couple of weeks then yes, a beater/travel watch is likely a good idea.  If I slip over and bash my watch on a rock, for example, I'd rather it was a £50 Vostok and not a £5K Rolex.

I would say a beater is essential. Although my beater was expensive, it is tough enough that I can wear it whatever I am doing without worrying about it getting damaged. A travel watch is not essential but it is nice to choose a watch or 2 to take with you that might suit where you are going and what you will be doing.

7 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Yes, you need a watch that is waterproof, durable and not so expensive you worry about wandering strange lands in it

Agree with the waterproof and durable bits but if you are travelling in high risk, strange lands then maybe the bad guys would not know the difference between a cheap and expensive watch. Unless a watch has great sentimental value or could not be replaced then just make sure it is insured and get on with life.

16 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

If I slip over and bash my watch on a rock, for example, I'd rather it was a £50 Vostok and not a £5K Rolex.

Maybe justification for wearing a Breitling Emergency as it may not be your watch that hits the rock and you would need to call for help.

To some extent it would depend, as others have indicated, on where you are going and what you are doing.

Unlike you, Jay, I love travelling. I have in the past agonised over which watches to take on a two week holiday in the Mediterranean, and once I ended up taking five! However, I prefer to travel light and therefore usually end up taking one nowadays. Plus, if it’s on my wrist then I know where it is!

I certainly don’t need a GMT watch, but I happen to like them. I like something that can get wet if I go into the pool or the sea. The places we tend to eat don’t have rigorous dress codes; perhaps the odd hotel where you have to wear long trousers at dinner, but apart from that nothing fancy. My CW Sealander GMT was never out of place on my recent trip to Greece.

D4F67512-2C9A-4149-8279-359964ABB48B.thumb.jpeg.9e9ffbcdb57271180e2ae5371ace0788.jpeg

Beater? For most chores around the house I just wear whatever I’m wearing. For gym, golf and the occasional heavier or muckier task, it’s the G-Shock.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 2

Spent years travelling for work and still have no idea what a travel watch is. Have tried to like GMT complications but always found the ability to add or subtract a small number from the current hour not beyond my mental capacity - and certainly not worth paying silly money for. 

As for beaters , I have 2 g shocks which get worn for anything that needs boots or fleeces in winter / shorts or tee shirts in summer. Can't seem to put a mark on them though :teethsmile:

Edited by Rotundus
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roxyben said:

On a side note I don't really like the term beater! Although I am not offering any alternative  wording. It just doesn't sound right. 

I think that dependant on the person either "budget option" or "tough watch".

If like me you're unlikely to be doing anything really dangerous that could see a watch smashed into pieces (I'd worry what might become of the wrist in such scenario's) but accept that an activity might come with a risk of small knocks or scratches then Budget option watches work. Essentially your cheaper watch or watches that could easily and affordably be replaced if they got a little ding, but not really any tougher than a normal everyday wear. And budget is unique to the user, my budget picks might be sub £100 rather than @Daveyboyz Seamaster, but it is whatever is the low end of your own personal collection.

If however you are going rock climbing or have a job involving lots of heavy hammers, then a tough watch, such as the obvious g-shock option, makes sense, whatever budget of g-shock works for your wallet you want something that is not just likely to get banged about but actually wants to be treated like a naughty watch.

1 hour ago, richy176 said:

the bad guys would not know the difference between a cheap and expensive watch. 

I disagree the crooks in Kilburn used to at least know which Rolex and Cartier they wanted to target and besides if you get mugged they would probably take your watch on the off chance its expensive.   

I would be miffed if I lost my seamaster but it is at least replaceable without saving all year unlike some of my other watches.

Yes. They are. 

Although it is not necessary to have them mixed into your collection.

They are like clothes you would wear for painting, not necessarily kept in your wardrobe. Your football boots, not put in the same place as your polished shoes. If your doing DIY, the cup you use for coffee breaks won't necessarily be placed back with the fine crockery. 

That watch you wear as a beater only needs to withstand punishment and who cares what it looks like. Covered in rust, scratches, mud or paint etc you can keep it hanging by you spare keys or on a rusty nail in the shed.

You might need a few functions on your travelling watch but its main job is to be indisputably accurate and extremely comfortable but it can be kept hanging on the side of your suitcase or in a drawer with your passport. 

So.. necessary.. yes.. part of a collection.. no.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

If your doing DIY, the cup you use for coffee breaks won't necessarily be placed back with the fine crockery. 

Excellent answer except this paragraph.

I only have one tea/coffee mug now and my fine crockery extends to 3 plates and a couple of bowls. I used to have 2 wooden spoons which were perfect for stirring paint but just because they were ingrained with paint I think my daughter threw them away.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

That watch you wear as a beater only needs to withstand punishment and who cares what it looks like. Covered in rust, scratches, mud or paint etc you can keep it hanging by you spare keys or on a rusty nail in the shed.

oh dear boy no ! thats like going to the club in casual attire and wearing the spare tie that they keep at the concierge desk :scared:

:laughing2dw:

I would have a Travel watch purely on insurance premises i.e. assuming my main everyday wearer watch is itemised on my home policy (and therefore fairly costly) it i only covered away from the house in the UK and insuring it for travel abroad is an additional expense/effort that my holiday does not need plus I am dubious about hotel safe access security. Also, beater for garage/gardening and dual use for travel/holiday for is a sensible option. My Mercer will be relegated to those duties soon I hope.

A lot depends on your lifestyle. All my watches will happily survive the sort of holiday I enjoy (including swimming), so I don't need a holiday watch.

I do need a beater as I do a lot of DIY, working on cars, blacksmithing and welding (not good for mechanical watches!) , so I have a Citizen solar to keep for those jobs.

3 hours ago, Caterham Kid said:

I would say a beater is essential. Although my beater was expensive, it is tough enough that I can wear it whatever I am doing without worrying about it getting damaged. A travel watch is not essential but it is nice to choose a watch or 2 to take with you that might suit where you are going and what you will be doing.

I would echo this, a beater watch is a must.

I’ve never quite understood the whole “beater” thing, I would just wear a watch I’m less precious about or take it off, don’t like the trashed/ beat up look.

as to a travel watch, well that is any watch I fancy really, I mean they all travel. Have three GMT’s now but I’ve never worn one on hols, so it’s a bit irrelevant really in this day and age, all the time zones are on my phone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Dunno - sort of necessary. Not strictly necessary for travel but I do own/wear watch(es) as beater(s) when I know that I'm working on the car, doing some DIY or will be down at the theatre. 

I quite like wearing a decent watch when I'm travelling - never had a problem so far but I don't have any particularly expensive ones & don't go to dodgy places (much) :laugh: