UK Watch Forum banner

New watch day! Bremont Submarine S301

2K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  GASHEAD 
#1 ·
eBay has been good to me. I have a good method for selling watches that results in me generally being net positive and i've grabbed many a bargain on the other side. Occasionally a listing will catch my eye that has photos that aren't great and an auction end time that is a bit awkward and i'll put in a cheeky bid and sometimes, i just so happen to win. That has happened again for a very pleasing price and as it was winging (incidental pun) its way to me I thought either i'll relist it well and make a cheeky bob or two or i'll like it and keep it. We're going for option 2 folk so here's my first foray with Bremont, the Submarine S301:

IMG_20211117_144144_edit_171276774755635

40mm case and about 48mm lug to lug which is perfect for me. This Trip-Tick case malarkey is pretty cool as the black section gives the watch a sense of depth from any angle, it's kind of like an optical illusion which is the opposite of something like a Tudor Black Bay that makes you feel like you have an anvil on your wrist.

The bezel is matte ceramic with a matte dial so the vintage accents on the dial and crown feel really well balanced and authentic (ironically). Red accents are spot on too. The indicies are not applied but I think this is actually a good move in adding some subtly to a dial with few things going on. Colour matched date wheel follows the same theme.

IMG_20211117_144254_edit_171334413895730

Case back is nice and thematic as everything Bremont needs to be. A least it's a sea plane.....

IMG_20211118_183313_edit_234519515660047

Box and papers are OK. Movement rated at COSC level certification. They quote ISO 3159 which I understand is the same as COSC but I presure the difference is that these are not sent to Switzerland.

Provided with a good stainless steel and a leather strap but I stuck straight onto a nato which is my usual preference for dive watches. Decent watch roll.

IMG_20211118_183118_edit_234529904851192

So I like this a lot and pleased to have finally got hold of a Bremont which I knew was always going to happen one day. Should this cost more than a Tudor Black Bay? No, but it is clearly a quality watch belonging somewhere in that tier.

IMG_20211118_184101_edit_234202203226763

See less See more
#12 ·
eBay has been good to me. I have a good method for selling watches that results in me generally being net positive and i've grabbed many a bargain on the other side. Occasionally a listing will catch my eye that has photos that aren't great and an auction end time that is a bit awkward and i'll put in a cheeky bid and sometimes, i just so happen to win. That has happened again for a very pleasing price and as it was winging (incidental pun) its way to me I thought either i'll relist it well and make a cheeky bob or two or i'll like it and keep it. We're going for option 2 folk so here's my first foray with Bremont, the Submarine S301:

IMG_20211117_144144_edit_171276774755635

40mm case and about 48mm lug to lug which is perfect for me. This Trip-Tick case malarkey is pretty cool as the black section gives the watch a sense of depth from any angle, it's kind of like an optical illusion which is the opposite of something like a Tudor Black Bay that makes you feel like you have an anvil on your wrist.

The bezel is matte ceramic with a matte dial so the vintage accents on the dial and crown feel really well balanced and authentic (ironically). Red accents are spot on too. The indicies are not applied but I think this is actually a good move in adding some subtly to a dial with few things going on. Colour matched date wheel follows the same theme.

IMG_20211117_144254_edit_171334413895730

Case back is nice and thematic as everything Bremont needs to be. A least it's a sea plane.....

IMG_20211118_183313_edit_234519515660047

Box and papers are OK. Movement rated at COSC level certification. They quote ISO 3159 which I understand is the same as COSC but I presure the difference is that these are not sent to Switzerland.

Provided with a good stainless steel and a leather strap but I stuck straight onto a nato which is my usual preference for dive watches. Decent watch roll.

IMG_20211118_183118_edit_234529904851192

So I like this a lot and pleased to have finally got hold of a Bremont which I knew was always going to happen one day. Should this cost more than a Tudor Black Bay? No, but it is clearly a quality watch belonging somewhere in that tier.

IMG_20211118_184101_edit_234202203226763
Jelly!

#14 ·
Drove past their new premises/factory in Henley a few weeks ago. Might book their in house tour if it's not too expensive. (For me, that will be a tenner pp max...I'm a pensioner, remember).

#17 ·
#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Very nice.

Can you give me some tips on selling. I have had a watch for sale for 6 months and I can't sell it for half what I paid for it!!!
7 or 10 day auction, low start price, finishing on a Saturday late afternoon/early evening, lots of good quality photo's (main photo a close up of the face of the watch, but include a wrist shot, several different angles of the watch, and if you have box and dox a photo of the whole package), detailed explanation and detail as to what it is you are selling, free P&P and it helps a LOT if you have good feedback and a decent amount of it.

I tend to highlight that I am a watch enthusiast and that I'd welcome questions too. Be open to offers, but if you are consider putting a guide price for offer (ideally 10-15% above what you hope to acheive)

Also I like to include the brand, model and reference number in the title, fill in as many of the specifics as I possibly can and I also include a link to the actual watch on the brand or a retailers website (especially if I can find one selling at rrp or close).

As a rule of thumb I aim to buy at 35-45% of rrp (some brands differ more than others obviously) but aim to sell at 50-60% of rrp.

Apologies for the hijack and I'd welcome anything I'm missing that @antjrice feels would better my own formula.

The buying side is being prepared to take a punt when the advert is brief on detail and the pictures a little shoddy with the auction ending at 14:37 on a Tuesday afternoon when most of the world is bust at work.

Reactions: PeterBD
#30 ·
Wear it in good health and glad you like it.

Personally, c.£2k for a high-end microbrand full of marketing BS is too rich for my blood!

#31 ·
I did try some on earlier this year in Watches of Switzerland. They were a nice looking watches but it didn't seem to sit well on my wrist.I don't know what depth is on this particular watch but the choices that I was presented with all seemed particularly deep.I believe that they were around 16mm and although I like to wear a "weighty" watch these just seemed to be lumpy and awkward-personal choice I guess. Nevertheless if your happy with it, enjoy it and good luck Entertainment Automotive lighting Font Event Building

Attachments

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Great watch, great pickup. Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

Such a contrast to a few years ago, when any mention of the brand seemed to generate a lot of hostility. Now they are edging closer to achieving what they actually set out to achieve - it took them 5 years to produce their first watch - and being a champion of all things English / British, they are finally getting the respect they deserve.

My U2 Blue has been getting a lot of wear recently, and it is just the most fantastic watch. 7 years old now, I did invest in a new Bremont strap to replace the original about 20 months or so ago (in a sale).

As ever, you either buy into the ethos of the brand, or you buy into something like Tudor (I am sure many will have both), although what the comparison is, beats me. One is mass produced and the other more, how shall we say, bespoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.