• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Turning the watch hands backwards

AndreaBorg

Question

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, AndreaBorg said:

Does it damage the watch if you turn it backwards or if you turn it a significant amount of times forward to set the date?  

Watches are designed to move forwards so it is best to turn hands forward especially when a watch has complications, however having said that it is possible and acceptable with some watches to set the date by moving the hands backwards and forwards between 8pm and 1am to change the date. Turning a watch forward to change the date is something which is unavoidable on older watches and shouldn't harm the watch.

• Like 3

What I have always been led to believe is that you should always turn the hands forward and if you do have a day/date complication you should preferably change the day/date or time when the hands are in the lower range of the watch I.e between 3 and 9 and certainly never between the hours of 10:00 p.m and 2:00 a.m.

I ‘ve no doubt that someone else will challenge this view but it has always worked for me and I’ve never damaged a watch doing it this way. thanks5.gif.2969b864e42dcccc6b2f14a591a054be.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

What I have always been led to believe is that you should always turn the hands forward and if you do have a day/date complication you should preferably change the day/date or time when the hands are in the lower range of the watch I.e between 3 and 9 and certainly never between the hours of 10:00 p.m and 2:00 a.m.

I ‘ve no doubt that someone else will challenge this view but it has always worked for me and I’ve never damaged a watch doing it this way. thanks5.gif.2969b864e42dcccc6b2f14a591a054be.gif

That would be the case when you have a quick set date function

• Like 1

It all depends on the movement and how much it is worth to get it fixed. You can turn any watch which ever way you choose, its yours. The thing is.. it might damage some watches or it might not. Flip a coin, buy a ticket, take the ride. 

My advice would be to err on the side of caution. 

Try not to turn it back, try not to turn it over the 9pm-3am time. 

Enjoy the subtle strangeness of mechanicals/autos :biggrin:

• Like 1