• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Too good to butcher ...

Jet Jetski

I bought this Elliot Brown Canford because in the promo shots, the minute hand looked a bit short, and I was confident it would fit my Elliot Brown 'RNLI' Kimmeridge (same movement).

elliot-brown-202-016-r10-mens-canford-wristwatch-p10836-41113_image.jpg

But unfortunately, when it arrived, the hand length is perfect for this dial - only half a mm longer probably (the promo must be a render), but still would be brushing the chapter ring of the Kimmeridge.

Tragically, I have put it on a Horween leather strap, so that it will remain looking handsome and original forever.

IMG_20211125_195650306.thumb.jpg.33bb91ea82dfcebac87081885d3c5a80.jpg

1st world problems ...

200m WR and a pair of triple sealed push-pull crowns.

And those Holtons in the background look a bit jelly, if you ask me.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Have you tried it on the Kimmeridge?

Sorry having read your post again I’m not quite sure what you are trying to do?

I bought the watch for the hands, hoping they would fit the Kimmeridge, but I have measured the minutes hand and it will be a smidge too long.  In the render, it just touches the minutes track, but IRL the hand oversails and covers about 3/8 of the minute markers.

Fine margins.

43 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Hand length looks identical to me. 

No, there's about half a lume blob in it.  It was always going to be tight. Either way, I thought they might just fit, and they just don't.  To be fair Elliot Brown told me they wouldn't about six months ago :laughing2dw:

Edited by Jet Jetski

But I did get the grey rubber strap onto my bead-blasted Holton Auto, so that bit of the plan worked.

edited_IMG_20211125_203446432.thumb.jpg.4466346699c7d32fd264cfa26be3ce00.jpg

edited_IMG_20211125_203501122.thumb.jpg.7cca35bae0cc3dc5ce599887dab641f5.jpg

And the buckle from my Kimmeridge fits this strap.

edited_edited_IMG_20211125_203112040.thumb.jpg.9a6a079e60df610f0298130cb18a3fa4.jpg

edited_edited_IMG_20211125_203129218.thumb.jpg.053b39074985eb4a63c46d72091b20a1.jpg

So along with the arrival of my NIVO Holton, pretty much a successful Xmas.

edited_IMG_20211125_190947711.thumb.jpg.89685fa65998c78aa4b30c28c89b270d.jpg

This strap style is known as a Tudor NATO.

edited_IMG_20211125_204934762.thumb.jpg.9163911ef92ec6d474b136cb12816832.jpg

Because Henry VIII made them popular.

JJ

edited_edited_IMG_20211125_203129218.jpg

edited_edited_IMG_20211125_203112040.jpg

12 minutes ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Would it be worth contacting the manufacturer direct to see it they could supply a replacement for your Kimmeridge . I thought , that although the watch was assembled in China, they were based in Poole Dorset

First thing I did, but the Kimmeridge is 38mm and all the other Elliot Brown handsets are for 43/44mm watches.

I like the hands I fitted myself, but I need Superluminova! 

IMG_20210822_184719110_HDR.thumb.jpg.b034190e065560e54989100cf9c6d56b.jpg

You can tell the lume on these is quite thin too.

IMG_20211007_133015149(1)(1)(1).jpg.156f

Edited by Jet Jetski

53 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I'm just left confused as to why you would want to risk breaking the seals and swapping over hands etc.  Aesthetics.  The render used in the sale bumf for the Kimmeridge probably still shows a thicker hand set than the one actually used for production, which of course I only noticed when it arrived.  But the rest of the watch, the case, dial, construction, finish is exactly as desired.

I get the aesthetics of doing this but I can't understand all the risks involved and the obvious dent in resale costs. Not selling it.  And there are few risks with a quartz (see below).

What would you have done with the resulting 'left over' spare odd handed watch? Put some groovy hands on!!!!!!

Ummm..  When disassembling, I photograph the screws on the back (these are compressor type cases), and record the turns required to release the screws / bolts, and use fresh silicone grease on the seal before re-assembling.  Then I screw them back up the same number of turns until the each screw is in the same orientation as found, and then squeak them up a semi-smidge. I trust my judgement, although I have thought about getting a leak tester, because they look fun, the water filled ones. 

As for WR, I don't ever get my hair wet except in the shower, so there is no danger of needing anything like 200m WR with these watches, which have triple seals on the stems.  Whenever I sell a watch I always state that the WR is not guaranteed - after all, I am not the first owner of many of my watches.  If one of these watches did leak on me, it is a simple Ronda 715 quartz movement, pretty cheap (although EB use the 'best' version), and I have done three quartz movement swaps already on dead quartz  watches, and several mechanical movement swaps (including chronographs).

Swapping hands is not too complicated, I have done lots - chronographs and three handers - and only pushed a jewel out once (some movements need the centre jewel supporting, I have learned, when you press the second hand on!) .  I have re-blued hands, painted them, and filled them, but C3 superluminova is jolly expensive for just one project. 

For re-sale it would be possible to swap the hands back of course, but I have no plans to re-sell my RNLI Kimmeridge at all, and the Canford could have ended up a write-off, but I would have had the strap and the hands out of it, and hands themselves are not necessarily cheap - I had to buy two sets to get the styles and lengths I wanted for the minute and hour hands on the Kimmeridge (a set of 'swords' and a set of 'pencils') - I may now send it away just to get the hands polished and re-lumed professionally.

But yeah, sometimes watch-making = watch-breaking, until you graduate from the school of 'Bit more, bit more, Oops too much!'.  And when I buy a part I normally buy two or three in case I break or lose one. But every hobby costs.  I don't smoke or gamble, and only drink a couple of pints a month max.  I would not tinker with an expensive or interesting watch, and most of my experiments have been on (literally) Mickey Mouse quartz watches, or cheap(ish) Russian mechanicals.

I have re-built three of these, including movement and crystal replacements (acrylic and sapphire):

May be an image of wrist watch

The movements are about £5.50 including a battery.

And the chaps at Elliot Brown were pretty generous about my Kimmeridge mod!  That style of sword hour-hand, with the chevron at the end of the lume having a slightly different angle to the tip, is something that they had looked at too.

Edited by Jet Jetski

13 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

I'm just left confused as to why you would want to risk breaking the seals and swapping over hands etc. 

I get the aesthetics of doing this but I can't understand all the risks involved and the obvious dent in resale costs.

What would you have done with the resulting 'left over' spare odd handed watch?

Visit to the shop I imagine goes like this:-

That's a nice watch -take it away I certainly don't want it.

Oh dear look at the dreadful hands on that one. Not keen on the strap or case either. I will have it. No make it 2 just in case I mess up the seal when I take it apart. I can use the 2nd watch for spare parts.

If you dig a hole and don't know what to do with the pile of earth just dig another hole and shovel it in. They would have to be virtual holes though. Job done :thumbsup:

Edited by chas g
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, chas g said:

Visit to the shop I imagine goes like this:-

That's a nice watch -take it away I certainly don't want it.

Oh dear look at the dreadful hands on that one. Not keen on the strap or case either. I will have it. No make it 2 just in case I mess up the seal when I take it apart. I can use the 2nd watch for spare parts.

If you dig a hole and don't know what to do with the pile of earth just dig another hole and shovel it in. They would have to be virtual holes though. Job done :thumbsup:

Not really, I'm a designer, I always think I can improve on someone else's designs, natch!

As for 'Breaking the seal' - I have lost count of how many watch batteries I have replaced in my own and other people's watches, yet not one to my knowledge has come to grief through immersion.  The only watches I take to a jeweller are sentimentally important pieces, and now my Tag is over 25 yrs old, I have done that myself too.  Clean seals, clean flat mating faces, and the thinnest glaze of silicone grease ...  the Kimmeridge is also a compressor design, that will naturally compress the back more tightly against the seal, the deeper it is immersed (unlike a screw back).  I understand a Holton was strapped to a ROV in the Gulf of Mexico to a depth of 1.9km.  Wondering if it had a special crystal - I will get around to asking.

And anyway, I didn't see the Kimmeridge in the flesh before I bought it - the render I saw, and which is still widely used, has proper manly hands:

Elliot Brown Watch Kimmeridge RNLI Special Edition 405-016-R30

As you can see, the lume on both hands appears wider than the hour batons, the hour hand significantly so.  So I bought a watch I did like.

Unfortunately, that is not the case for the watch in real life when it arrives, for the hands are exactly the same as the 'normal' Kimmeridge, i.e. a bit skinny for a proper chap like me.

But the watch is otherwise perfect - fully brushed case, sapphire crystal, push-pull crown, solid strap bars, RNLI flag, ultra shock protection. So why not just swap the hands? It is no big deal, in fact it is terrific fun.

And I painted the end of my seconds hand with some of the enamel paint out of the Spitfire model kit my dad was building when he passed away (he was a chartered engineer and his apprenticeship was in aeronautical engineering).

Here he is getting his medal off the RNLI.

?id=83698X1535590&isjs=1&jv=15.2.1-stackpath&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fthewatchforum.co.uk%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F144951-watches-getting-smaller-i-hope-so%2F%26page%3D3%23comment-1529078&url=https%3A%2F%2Fattachment.outlook.live.net%2Fowa%2FMSA%253Aj-m-h%2540hotmail.co.uk%2Fservice.svc%2Fs%2FGetAttachmentThumbnail%3Fid%3DAQMkADAwATY3ZmYAZS1jZTcxLTU0ZGMtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADPw%252F%252FSKtqgUW4GXAuU3W%252FYQcAu1DiLEPFuESnlTePFbrNGAAAAgEJAAAAu1DiLEPFuESnlTePFbrNGAADgw7aDAAAAAESABAAEsV%252BZpyRCkWC1%252Fh0shaZTA%253D%253D%26thumbnailType%3D2%26isc%3D1%26token%3DeyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjMwODE3OUNFNUY0QjUyRTc4QjJEQjg5NjZCQUY0RUNDMzcyN0FFRUUiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJNSUY1emw5TFV1ZUxMYmlXYTY5T3pEY25ydTQifQ.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.Ic3ci5gCl5h7e4xScXSYA4UHURhbea2WJmWhdETn_VOfngcbXyeJShNJLNAsfMPoxXKO7ldC7Hlj8MTI3bbOyF2riVkKWBQHgC_9SjQhID8Zu9_JvxFVU8jsjOjlFgdRskslXpdKK3Qyca9DQhk8yCMo1iWxRNPWrOBsz4BuVR2b4JkR5gav70NEHm6szjuprddADttt0b2WDjS-t-jFyZA86Yr8ewWyEGW0lv0maaDfGWFWzJWnZP-MHtnWAbL88YwWJZt4NqUBaVGe4ODnNIJhN2rafkJGeiu2TqnqfGoogAU39I7fwF7gYz6TFyVXqPDzTDLuEd8KWi6nY9F__g%26X-OWA-CANARY%3DQa5uoFWlbEm415-WwBZOdHCEKMhnr9gYyE8scQKGvU-EvT7wh8P2hf1HktQmsJ-pupRDcG2C2l8.%26owa%3Doutlook.live.com%26scriptVer%3D20201228001.01%26animation%3Dtrue&xs=1&xtz=0&xuuid=284b81d48d53ff00c9a7b1fbe4d1a09d&xguid=f6288a8e26e138026e32c8d3a198784d&cci=b2e3624e0c722b78fa4d2b354e7f40da

So I didn't break the watch, I had fun, I practised my manual dexterity, I gave it the 'Holton hands' treatment, I learned about the Elliot Brown shock resistance system, I had an e-mail chat with the designer (who takes watches to pieces as part of his living, and thinks it's fun too), and I have a (unique) memento that always reminds me of my father.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

As long as you were only pulling my virtual leg rather than my actual leg, we can still be friends.  :laughing2dw:

Must say I really like the blue RNLI watch. Not sure about the tiny date window though which I didn't notice at first. 

58 minutes ago, Bricey said:

If anyone is available to come and pull my actual leg, that would be dandy.

Good to see you back. I did wonder if you were OK. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1