• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

British watch recommendations

Leema

Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster! I've recently become more interested in the whys and wherefores of British watch manufacturers, so much so I'd like to flip some of my collection to introduce some home grown pieces! 

For me a perfect collection is a diver, dress and field (I'll always have a G-Shock & F91-W too!). Based on this any recommendations from our fair isle? Looking up to £1000 per piece so relatively affordable

Cheers!

Take a look at Marloe, based in Scotland and British made (well British design, I've no idea if they build the watches here tbh?)

Their Pacfic range offer some nice retro designed dressy watches, the Haskell a more field watch vibe.

I have a Coniston of theirs and the quality is good at the price point of those (around £300) if they match the quality lb-for-lb with those other ranges (Haskell sound £700 and Pacific around £1100) then I'd expect them to be very well designed, constructed and finished time pieces. 

• Agree 1

I've read that Marloe are based in Oxfordshire England but on their website it says they are based in Kinross Scotland.. thats a puzzle that one. Anyway, definitely British. 

On the rarer side are anOrdain, I've seen them at around £1000 but it wasn't their Fumé model 1 (and that's really the one to get, but prices can go as high as £2000). I quite fancy these to become collectors items.

On the more affordable side of things are CWC. Mostly military style but definitely worth a look. 

I wonder how many of these "British" watches match the Swiss requirements for "Swissness". :laughing2dw:

"The Swiss-made label, highlighting the Swiss provenance of a watchmaker, is a guarantee of quality and precision. It is based on criteria defined by law. ... Thus, to carry the 'Swiss-made' stamp, a watch will have to meet the requirement of 60% minimum Swiss value."

I notice most seem to have "Great Britain" or England ' on  them with the omission of the "made in" bit.

Agree @Leema anOrdain and also Paulin are worth a look.

Marloe watches are well made and are British design but the movement are usually Miyota or Sellita. Either way they are well made watches, the company is based in Scotland and on a personal note I have to say their customer service is first class. I own a Marloe Morar divers watch, one of a limited edition and really enjoy wearing it. 
Try this link and see what you think https://www.marloewatchcompany.com/products/pacific-76?variant=39574357180505.

Out of budget but always worth a mention is Harold Pinchbeck, they do some lovely (if expensive) watches that I'd certainly love to own once my Ulysse Nardin obsession was sated (will never happen barring a massive lotto win).

https://www.haroldpinchbeck.co.uk/

Movements are a bit pedestrian (ETA / Unitas) but the rest of the watch seems to be UK made - I rather like the 'Orpheus' it has a whiff of Daniels or R.W.Smith about the design.

7 hours ago, Leema said:

Some brilliant suggestions everyone, thanks! I've gone for the CW Sealander Auto with the green dial to start with! Forsee this being a few years of collecting :)

Disappointingly mine (in the same spec as you suggest) which arrived on Friday will be on its way back as soon as CW get back to me. Disappointed is an understatement. But that is for another day once they respond...

Edited by al_kaholik

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Another marque of "Englishness"

5c477971009c2210041a03878b0913ab.jpg

Ha ha. Excellent display of complete madness. Having seen what happened to my full face shoei crash helmet when I head butted the roof of a car at 30mph, I am glad I wasn't wearing one like the chap on the back of that Morgan 3 wheeler. He might as well be wearing a bobble hat.

On 30/11/2021 at 19:27, al_kaholik said:

Disappointingly mine (in the same spec as you suggest) which arrived on Friday will be on its way back as soon as CW get back to me. Disappointed is an understatement. But that is for another day once they respond...

Doesn't sound good...