• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How Many Is Enough?

Just a thought but at what point do you have enough watches?

I have a modest collection of 10 ranging from a black plastic analogue/digital Casio (Swatch look alike) to a Cartier Tank Americaine via Omega Speedy and others.

Trouble is only 2-3 of these get worn on a regular basis….the rest just sit in a safe place!

I don’t regard any of my collection as an investment, but purely as nice pieces to own.

Is it time to stop collecting?

Just a thought but at what point do you have enough watches?

we have debated this many times on the forum, and I think I can paraphrase our conclusions as

'the correct number of watches is exactly two more than you have at present'.

Hi Capt Scarlett

This is one of thise "it depends" type answers...

Speaking personally, I go through phases of the watch collecting, there are months where the collection is at 10, then it will go to 15, then back down to 12.

There are a few keepers, but the rest can come and go.

Plenty of folk here (me included) have made brash statements like:

"My collecting days are over"

"No more watches for me"

To be honest its cr*p, as most of us simply cannot resist temptation...

Watch collecting, its fun, its informative, and you get to meet some jolly nice people...

...and as long as your collection is not full of Rolexes or Omegas then its relatively cheap.

Welcome onboard

deano

I dont think there are too many folk on here who collect as an investment (couple of possible exceptions!!).

My feeling is that if you like a watch keep it (except, of course if you are funding another watch!). If its a nice watch to have around, same applies.

My problem is...I like and buy quite often, trouble is, I always see something else that I would rather have.

Luckily my 710 "turns a blind eye" and has gotten used to it after 36 years of being married to a watch enthusiast

Roger

I don't think the word "enough" is capable of definition in the watch collector's world :lol:

Certainly, whenever anyone here seems to say they have "enough", all it normally takes is Roy to start another "Sales Update" thread, or announce the latest RTL nnn to get everyone's bottom lip trembling again...

:lol::lol:

:rltb:

So possibly one for each day of the week plus one or two for special occasions!

My problem is that I can never bring myself to part with any of them as they all hold special memories……I must be getting sentimental in my old age!

I've got about 10 watches ranging from an old Citizen V2 that's used as a "beater" through to several Orfinas that are my more expensive pieces. My view is that they should all be worn on a fairly regular basis. If I don't wear one for a while I usually sell it on and replace it with something else. I'd rather have a relatively small number that are enjoyed on a regular basis rather than a draw full, most of which are just :eek: at .

Must admit I'm not one to collect things just for the sake of it :o , though i'm sure some of you will disagree :lol:

I recently answered this question on another forum, when asked how many watches should, specifically, a Seiko collection consist of. My answer, appropriately for Seiko, was 5, but I think it's a neat rule:

1 x high end/luxury watch (eg Grand Seiko or Marine Master)

1 x beater diver (eg SKX007)

1 x dress (eg SNM007)

1 x military (eg SNK809K2 — got one in transit)

1 x chronograph (but damn Seiko for nor not making an auto one I can afford)

Edited by Seamaster73

There can't be enough, ever. If there is not a next one, you're just someone with more watches than he needs! As soon as there's enough, you're not collecting any more!

As long as you have this next one on the horizon, (no matter how far away the horizon!), you're collecting, you're in business, you have a reason to live, you can waste time searching the internet, walking into every watch shop you come across, spend hours on forums, ebay, etc. :taz::thumbup:

To be or not to be! What was the question?

(help I need a doctor :scared: )

How Many Is Enough? :huh:

As many as I like, can afford and have space for :P

I'm with Mac on this :)

This one's full....

IPB Image

....and so is this....

IPB Image

....but I can see a few spaces here....

IPB Image

....and I can definitely squeeze a couple more in the 'secret' drawer....

IPB Image

Still, could be worse, could have gone that way with Omega instead... :eek:

Yes tell me about it... I had a Seiko divers collection that i seem to be turning into a vintage Omega divers collection... :cry2:

Alan - you could start a business building furniture with secret compartments! ;)

I've not found a limit to my interest in watches. Admittedly, there are watches I'm certainly not interested in, but they are far fewer in number than the interesting ones! :(:lol:

A new arrival this week. I blame Silver Hawk. And the French, as always :lol:

IPB Image