• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Audemars Piguet Jules with double 8 factory error

Setoni50

Question

15 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Setoni50 said:

I'm sorry Duncan, you are perfetly right. I'm new to forums. I'm middleage man, writing from europe. I just would like to understand if this mistake can add value to this watch. It cames from original factory, fully original mistake.

Just out of interest did you purchase this new, or pre owned, or are you looking to buy?

I guess the watch is around year 2000? personally if id have had this watch for 21 years id have sent it back!!!

No idea on whether it will add value or not, i suppose its subjective depending on the buyer, some people will love it, some will hate it. 

It has been known that some Rolexes will increase in value with QC errors, there was an airking that had 2 number 6s on the dial which peaked peoples interest. 

29 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

Just out of interest did you purchase this new, or pre owned, or are you looking to buy?

I guess the watch is around year 2000? personally if id have had this watch for 21 years id have sent it back!!!

No idea on whether it will add value or not, i suppose its subjective depending on the buyer, some people will love it, some will hate it. 

It has been known that some Rolexes will increase in value with QC errors, there was an airking that had 2 number 6s on the dial which peaked peoples interest. 

It was bought on 1997 , owner noted  mistake and not sent back to the factory for his choice .  It is fully original . I'm trying to understand if 

the double 8 mistake can peak interests. 

39 minutes ago, Setoni50 said:

the double 8 mistake can peak interests. 

So can a big hole in the road.

I'd have it checked for authenticity first, then ask. What provenance did you receive with this watch ? I would also expect a genuine watch of that age and value would have some recorded service history as well, do you have any ?

Personally there is no way I would send that back to be rectified. Firstly you would always have the choice to do it in time but never be able to revert if you did so I'd hold that in the bank so to speak. 

As others have said there have been Rolex issues in the past. The one that comes to my mind was the ROLEX text on a dial where two letters werent spaced properly and were touching. It was thought to be a fake but once found to be genuine its value rocketed. I dont know if this is more Rolex based but any genuine QC issues seem to increase its value probably because they are meant to be so perfect if you can get one that isnt you have a one off. If the watchmaker leaves a bit of his sandwich in the case it seems enough to class it as a one off!

It will always beg the question though is it genuine, especially your double 8 because it is so obvious but I think it makes it very special in our collectors world. 

If it was me I would contact AP sending a pic and information pertaining to its authenticity and ask them to provide a narrative about it. How do they explain this leaveing them them like this?

Id consider this from another angle though. Id suggest it is so obvious its been done on purpose. Is it a prototype, does it have a special movement, a new hair spring material etc etc and was suppossed to be on long term test, the double 8 making it very obviously noticicable as a test watch. Has a test watch been sent to a customer by mistake as oppossed to a watch having a QC issue? If you have an R&D piece there with a double 8 marking then you truly do have a one off. 

If you make a million your due me a beer :partytime:

Edited by Dilly
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dilly said:

Personally there is no way I would send that back to be rectified. Firstly you would always have the choice to do it in time but never be able to revert if you did so I'd hold that in the bank. 

As others have said there have been Rolex issues in the past. The one that comes to my mind was the ROLEX text on a dial where two letter werent spaced properly and were touching. It was thought to be a fake but once found to be genuine its value rocketed. I dont know if this is more Rolex based but any genuine QC issues seem to increase its value probably because they are meant to be so perfect if you can get one that isnt you have a one off. If the watchmaker leaves a bit of his sandwich in the case it seems enough to class it as a one off. 

It will always beg the question though is it genuine, especially your double 8 because it is so obvious but I think it makes it very special in our collectors world. 

If it was me I would contact AP sending a pic and information pertaining to its authenticity and ask them about it. How did this possibly leave them them like this. 

Id consider this from another angle. This is so obvious its been done on purpose. Is it a prototype, does it have a special movement, a new hair spring material etc etc and was suppossed to be on long term test the double 8 making it very obviously noticicable as a test watch. Has a test piece been sent to a customer by mistake as oppossed to a watch havning a QC issue? If you have an R&D piece there with a double 8 marking then you truly do have a one off. 

If you make a million your due me a beer :partytime:

Thank you Dilly for your suggestions. I will follow them...in case ....beers for sure !!

7 minutes ago, Roarry said:

I'd hang on to it. If it's a profit you're after, put it up for sale. As said already, you may never see it again if you send it back. I'm 98% sure of this.

I'm not gonna ship it back. I keep as it is. 

• Like 1