Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

BB58


Wheelnut69
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just treat myself to a BB58. I struggled to decide on leather or a bracelet. I think I want to wear it on a leather, but I opted for the bracelet with the intention of putting it on a leather later. 
 

The official Tudor leather is about £340 which is a bit spendy, so has anyone got any good recommendations for a 20mm leather that will suit it.?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Wheelnut69 said:

Just treat myself to a BB58. I struggled to decide on leather or a bracelet. I think I want to wear it on a leather, but I opted for the bracelet with the intention of putting it on a leather later. 
 

The official Tudor leather is about £340 which is a bit spendy, so has anyone got any good recommendations for a 20mm leather that will suit it.?

Plain black vintage style, although I'd personally go for this,

BS-Tudor-Black-Bay-58-review-31.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wheelnut69 said:

Yep, I’m open to that as well - watch gecko seem to have some.

how difficult is the bracelet to remove? I’ve got a spring bar, but don’t have the pliers.

I know they're not cheap, but the only NATO that feels right on the watch is the genuine Tudor one.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I know they're not cheap, but the only NATO that feels right on the watch is the genuine Tudor one.

Nah. I don't believe that. 

I believe it might increase the resale value a little (but not the cost of the strap) and give a little bit of pride that it's original but it's not the ONLY nato that suits the watch or feels right on the wrist of the wearer. 

There are specialist companies out there using the finest quality of materials that can rival or surpass the feel of a Tudor nato and because they aren't branded as Tudor they aren't even half the cost. 

Same with leather strap makers. Specialist suppliers can and do sell leather straps of same or even better quality than the branded straps at much lower prices. People are paying multiple times the money simply for the branding.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Nah. I don't believe that. 

I believe it might increase the resale value a little (but not the cost of the strap) and give a little bit of pride that it's original but it's not the ONLY nato that suits the watch or feels right on the wrist of the wearer. 

There are specialist companies out there using the finest quality of materials that can rival or surpass the feel of a Tudor nato and because they aren't branded as Tudor they aren't even half the cost. 

Same with leather strap makers. Specialist suppliers can and do sell leather straps of same or even better quality than the branded straps at much lower prices. People are paying multiple times the money simply for the branding.

I agree with @SolaVeritate here & dread to think what the Tudor Nato would cost? - Forum sponsor @Jamie - Lunar Watch Straps sells their Apollo range of Nato straps with a few specifically for the Tudor BB - The Onyx & Sand one below is currently out of stock, but send a quick email or message to Jamie who is very helpful - £20 for this Apollo btw ...

large.160915821_bbapolloonyxandsand.jpg.d4ade667302f275d98c46fd6528b88a0.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Nah. I don't believe that. 

Go and try one. They are in a completely different league. I'm not for a minute suggesting they are worth the extra, but sometimes it's not about the money.

 

Must dash, off to look for some remould tyres for my Ferrari.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to admit to not owning a Tudor or trying their straps. However, when the bracelet wore out on my Datejust, I decided to go for a Rolex leather strap and buckle rather than a new bracelet at the service. I have subsequently bought leather straps from Watch Gecko and they have been just as well made as the Rolex strap at 20% of the cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Wheelnut69 said:

Just treat myself to a BB58. I struggled to decide on leather or a bracelet. I think I want to wear it on a leather, but I opted for the bracelet with the intention of putting it on a leather later. 

Exactly the right thing to do :thumbsup: it is much more expensive to do it the other way round and if you get bored with it much more saleable on a bracelet.

I think the BB58 is a cracking looking watch 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Wheelnut69 said:

Yep, I’m open to that as well - watch gecko seem to have some.

how difficult is the bracelet to remove? I’ve got a spring bar, but don’t have the pliers.

I’m a ham fisted bugger with a Black Bay and I completely bottled removing the bracelet with a single prong strap tool. I bought the pliers type which I still found fiddly but I did manage to get it off, on again caused much cursing but that’s probably more of a reflection on me!

Plus one for the Lunar Apollo straps, they are cracking things. My Black Bay may just be a little heavy for it but I’d definitely give it a go on your BB58.

Cracking watch BTW, enjoy!:biggrin:860786F3-32B7-47FA-B2B2-882CD8B34D9F.thumb.jpeg.5e00b016ff20d056d1fa5060e8705db6.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bow said:

I’m a ham fisted bugger with a Black Bay and I completely bottled removing the bracelet with a single prong strap tool. I bought the pliers type which I still found fiddly but I did manage to get it off, on again caused much cursing but that’s probably more of a reflection on me!

Plus one for the Lunar Apollo straps, they are cracking things. My Black Bay may just be a little heavy for it but I’d definitely give it a go on your BB58.

Cracking watch BTW, enjoy!:biggrin:860786F3-32B7-47FA-B2B2-882CD8B34D9F.thumb.jpeg.5e00b016ff20d056d1fa5060e8705db6.jpeg

Full agreement with @Bow & his BB looks great on the Apollo - I also bought a set of pliers (from Cousins) & there is a thread about them in the Straps Forum - Yes some bracelets are "fiddly" but way better ime than trying to coax a bracelet off with a strap tool :bash:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I know they're not cheap, but the only NATO that feels right on the watch is the genuine Tudor one.

I think the word you're grasping for is "extortionate"...

But you're right, the sizable three-figure sum on your credit card statement for a 9-inch long strip of woven nylon just...feels right :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Go and try one. They are in a completely different league. I'm not for a minute suggesting they are worth the extra, but sometimes it's not about the money.

Must dash, off to look for some remould tyres for my Ferrari.

I never realised that a genuine Tudor NATO strap was key safety feature of a BB58 and that it will slip off your arm and end up crashing to the ground in a thousand pieces if you wear anything else :scared:  Good to know!

I take it the spring bars are Tudor-made and Tudor-branded too?  Because if not...:scared:

And you're right not to buy remoulds, although I'd say good luck searching for genuine Ferrari-branded tyres.  Apparently Ferrari has to buy the tyres for its cars from an organisation called a 'tyre manufacturer'.  Apparently they use a company called Pirelli and shockingly those tyres are branded 'Pirelli' too!  I don't know how Ferrari drivers can live with non-Ferrari tyres on their cars straight out of the factory, let alone after they've left the showroom, no matter how much money they want to spend.  Appalling, I tell you, appalling!

:partytime:

Sorry, I'm having an odd day and I couldn't resist @WRENCH

:laugh::laugh:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

Sorry, I'm having an odd day and I couldn't resist @WRENCH

Here's the difference from my point of view with regards to my choice of "NATO" straps. Top , Kobold, lower Tudor.

 fixed pin position so no float on the strap, no aggravating tail end because the Strap isn't made long enough to two a Transit van, so fits as a regular sensible strap, and the straps sit perfectly around the circumference of my wrist without the unsightly bunching  up of the normal NATO as it passes over the spring bar.large.20211130_155459_kindlephoto-5501702.jpg.88a88dc492b740496e03f17ef3736c2d.jpglarge.20211130_155439_kindlephoto-5536850.jpg.c7c83a4b775f01db75f9611877143cec.jpg

The Kobold is actually my preference because it doesn't have excess metal hardware. I don't mind paying the extra, but then I know plenty Range Rover owners that look for the cheapest aftermarket parts.:laughing2dw:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Here's the difference from my point of view with regards to my choice of "NATO" straps. Top , Kobold, lower Tudor.

 fixed pin position so no float on the strap, no aggravating tail end because the Strap isn't made long enough to two a Transit van, so fits as a regular sensible strap, and the straps sit perfectly around the circumference of my wrist without the unsightly bunching  up of the normal NATO as it passes over the spring bar.large.20211130_155459_kindlephoto-5501702.jpg.88a88dc492b740496e03f17ef3736c2d.jpglarge.20211130_155439_kindlephoto-5536850.jpg.c7c83a4b775f01db75f9611877143cec.jpg

The Kobold is actually my preference because it doesn't have excess metal hardware. I don't mind paying the extra, but then I know plenty Range Rover owners that look for the cheapest aftermarket parts.:laughing2dw:

 

I don't want to nit pick...but...oh, what the hell, I'll just nit pick; fixed spring bar positions mean it's not a NATO, it does not conform to MoD standard 66-47.  What you actually have here are two examples of slimline fabric bund straps. :laughing2dw:

The only Range Rover owner I know has one as a company car, so they don't pay for parts at all! :biggrin:

:partytime:

But being serious for a mo, surely the better option is two-part fabric tang Cordura, Sailcloth or something similar? Wouldn't that be even more comfortable with less metalware?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The apollo strap arrived yesterday. The quality isn't the same as the tudor (didn't expect it to be) but it's a nice enough strap.

I've picked up a nice leather as well which I'll swap between.

If I find ,uself wearing it on the Nato the most, I might lash out and buy the tudor one.

It's a lovely watch. Wears a good bit smaller than my Seamaster.

2-DD7-A33-B-F3-DE-4-C3-C-A7-EA-3-D90-C71

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...