• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Service time....deep joy

Fitz666

I have had my Speedmaster day/date for about 8 years now and the time has been getting less accurate for a while, oh and the day inticator sticks.

Time for a service. Appoitment booked with Martins of Glasgow. next week, might get it back by February....lol

The service will cost slightly less than Omega, still more that my hydraulic bike lift though.

Wish me luck!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My Ulysse Nardin is currently out of commission and needs a service I miss it deeply but Xmas and a new job in january with an out of kilter pay day has me saving all my pennies for things my wife tells me are more important than 'a damn watch' like 'the mortgage' and 'food'. What does she know eh?

Once the pay is back in sync with the bills it'll be straight off to be sorted out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have only ever had one watch serviced and that was an Oris moonphase complication when I overwound it. It was sent back to Oris in Switzerland. 

When it came back, it felt different  although it worked OK for a while but then a few issues arose. Firstly the rotar began spinning when I was winding the watch and more recently,  when winding, the crown has become stiffer and stiffer. It still works OK although I haven't monitored the accuracy so can't comment on that.

As it has never been the same since the service,  it has slightly put me off getting other watches serviced. And forums are full of either "service regularly" or "only service when a problem arises". I am in the second camp, especially when the cost of a service is 50% of the original purchase price.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I took my Datejust in for a service a few years back and the person who checked it in came back and said there were scratches on the hands and marks on the dial. He seemed rather taken aback when I pointed out that his service centre were the only people to have ever opened the watch from new, so any marks and scratches within the watch must have been their fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, Fitz666 said:

I have had my Speedmaster day/date for about 8 years now and the time has been getting less accurate for a while, oh and the day inticator sticks.

Time for a service. Appoitment booked with Martins of Glasgow. next week, might get it back by February....lol

The service will cost slightly less than Omega, still more that my hydraulic bike lift though.

Wish me luck!!

I have three in at Rolex St James's - minimum £1800 - my 2022 budget blown already :sadwalk: 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Duncan U. said:

I took my Datejust in for a service a few years back and the person who checked it in came back and said there were scratches on the hands and marks on the dial. He seemed rather taken aback when I pointed out that his service centre were the only people to have ever opened the watch from new, so any marks and scratches within the watch must have been their fault.

He was trying, not very expertly, to 'scam' you for a new dial and hands. £££££s :whistle:

Movement service only please :thumbsup:

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

He was trying, not very expertly, to 'scam' you for a new dial and hands. £££££s :whistle:

Movement service only please :thumbsup:

Last time I went to them (and it will be the last) they refused to service the movement unless I paid for a replacement for the "shattered crystal", so I used Deacons in Swindon who were brilliant and the crystal is still in use.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Duncan U. said:

Last time I went to them (and it will be the last) they refused to service the movement unless I paid for a replacement for the "shattered crystal", so I used Deacons in Swindon who were brilliant and the crystal is still in use.

And so you can get your own back and other members can avoid them like the plague who was this original company? 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 20:59, JoT said:

I have three in at Rolex St James's - minimum £1800 - my 2022 budget blown already :sadwalk: 

Got a surprise when they sent me the Tudor Black Bay quote - £240 inc VAT for the service and £120 if I want the case and bracelet refurbishing.

Sadly the other quotes were not a surprise :laugh:

RG's Ladies' Yacht Master £600 for service inc VAT and £107 for a new sapphire crystal

Sea Dweller £600 for service inc VAT plus an optional £128 for a crystal

9 minutes ago, JoT said:

Got a surprise when they sent me the Tudor Black Bay quote - £240 inc VAT for the service and £120 if I want the case and bracelet refurbishing.

Sadly the other quotes were not a surprise :laugh:

RG's Ladies' Yacht Master £600 for service inc VAT and £107 for a new sapphire crystal

Sea Dweller £600 for service inc VAT plus an optional £128 for a crystal

Just checked what I am going to be in for in a few years with my (soon to be) new JLC Polaris Date. Complete service is £550 based on the online service calculator. However this does include a dismantle/oil/service, full case and bracelet repolish, reseal and adds another 2 years warranty on the watch. So somewhere I between the Tudor and the Rolex. 

12 hours ago, JoT said:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I was wondering if this is for an ETA movement or the in house one? It certainly seems a good price.

By the way, I have noticed over the years that the Rolex standard service price is usually roughly 10% of the current purchase price for my Datejust. the first service was £170, the last one £500.

2 sevices that I have had to carry out so far:

Tag F1 Caliber 5 (sw200): £75 Cephas Mckeough Watch Service Centre

Omega Seamaster 300 co-axial: £170 Cumbria watch repairs Dan Hodges

Both came back in excellent running order. These were both strip down and rebuilds with regulation. Omega needed quite parts replacing. Tag was all good.

On 01/12/2021 at 17:45, AlwaysAlba said:

Firstly the rotar began spinning when I was winding the watch and more recently,  when winding, the crown has become stiffer and stiffer. It still works OK although I haven't monitored the accuracy so can't comment on that.

That's faulty.  The windmilling of the rotor is a stuck or broken reverser wheel and I would definitely not hand wind it until it's fixed.  It needs to go back to Oris pronto who should fix it for free.

On 01/12/2021 at 20:59, JoT said:

A friend of mind paid more than that for one Datejust service, so a three-for-one deal sounds tempting...:(

two manufacturer services so far on my collection, £550 for a breitling superocean, £ 500 for the speedie both two year ago,

coming up in next 2 -3 years three rolex, one GS, one cartier , then we start again!!  :crazy5vh: this is a thing few other than watch people factor in when buying the dream! ( bit like expensive cars !):biggrin:

deano