• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Cost of watch vs satisfaction.

Tickenator

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of 'luxury' watches that I bought with part of an inheritance, I wear both regularly and gain a lot of satisfaction from appreciating their craftsmanship and  complexity.

The majority of my collection is sub £500 pieces with many being in the £100-200 range and I've had to save for those and take advantage of sales and codes to afford them. I also enjoy wearing these a lot - I'm currently wearing an Eterna I bought for a very steep discount from 'drop' when they stocked watches. Most numerous brand I own is 'steeldive' which I feel are immense bang for the buck.

I try not to buy a watch that doesn't 'speak' to me in some way and which I therefore am likely to find satisfying to wear. The 2 I had the most 'problems' with were a spinnaker hull cali dial which I tried on a multitude of straps before bonding with and a steeldive submariner homage which  I bought to see if it would change my mind about Rolex and submariners, it didn't, I find a bit generic and 'meh' but is useful for when I'm doing DIY or anything that may cause damage to a watch so it's kind of satisfying in a 'beater' kind of way.

The dark side of my collection is a number of quartz watches, I tend to find the the closest to being 'unsatisfying to wear' not because of any snobbery (i think) but because i find the idea of springs and cogs doing their thing more satisfying that I do batteries and quartz. I can appreciate their advantages over a mechanical watch but they don't really mean a lot as I don't do extreme sports or time races etc.

There are but a few cheap watches I like, not many under 4 figures (unless we are looking to vintage pieces)   If the watch goes into 5 figures this detracts from it in my opinion (even if I paid less and it has risen considerable...  knowing its value has increased is satisfying but it detracts from its wearability in my opinion)  for me the sweet spot is £4000 - £6000.   Meaning that it is a quality item, likely to retain some value, not so expensive to live in fear, not so cheap to be insignificant either.

The problem with the Seiko 5 collecting is in my opinion not that there's anything wrong with such a watch but at such a price point the collection would become so out of control as to bring zero pleasure because it would be a thousand meaningless watches.

Just my humble opinion. 

Interesting insights, having read through the posts, I can understand why people do aspire to a more expensive or upmarket piece, quality would ultimately be better in the likes of a Tudor as opposed to a Casio. This is beyond debate, it is a mere fact. (I have a g-shock too by the way, great watch)

Horses for courses as they say.

Maybe I will save up a bit for a more upmarket watch to see for myself, also don't see the point in having 150 watches that hardly get worn as opposed to a lesser amount that actually get worn.

Some posters here have over 100 watches, that is mind blowing.

P.S. I can only react to a couple of posts per day (site restriction thing) but appreciate all the comments.

• Like 2

For me there is no correlation between price & enjoyment. 

Each of my watches I purchased for a reason. I've never been able to sell or flip. I have however, given a half dozen away.

This year I've found myself getting into Bertucci & G Shocks alot. I also picked up a Speedy Man On the Moon (among others).

I have tried to sell but to no avail. Collection stands at more than 300. Wife also collects Zenith, Rolex & Baby Gs.

A few years ago I was in a prestigious "flagship" jewellers and had a long chat with the sales manager, he said with a glint in his eye "I sell derams, all anyone needs to tell the time is a Seiko 5, and we don't sell them". But then a collector is a strange animal.

The other thing I remember on another visit to the same establishment, was a customer asking to see their most expensive watch. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

A few years ago I was in a prestigious "flagship" jewellers and had a long chat with the sales manager, he said with a glint in his eye "I sell derams, all anyone needs to tell the time is a Seiko 5, and we don't sell them". But then a collector is a strange animal.

The other thing I remember on another visit to the same establishment, was a customer asking to see their most expensive watch. :laughing2dw:

A sales manager at a flagship store who knows what a Seiko 5 is, well I never! :hmmm9uh:

I’ve always just bought what I liked and could afford at the time. My collection includes watches that have cost under £10 to others that have cost a lot more. It also includes inherited pieces with sentimental value. I like them all and enjoy them all. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have them :yes:

At some point I do fancy a BB58 or a Speedmaster (moon to mars) and maybe an explorer. I doubt the increased cost will increase my enjoyment. :thumbs_up:

• Haha 1

I like variety in my collection an micro brands offer that in spades at generally affordable prices, but there seems to be a number of micros moving up, probably wouldn’t pay a grand for a micro sub alike even if dive style watches are my thing, for a grand I’d be wanting something more mainstream,

As to enjoy Verus cost, I just don’t think there is a difference, I like a watch or dislike regardless of value and I was never afraid to wear an expensive on hols, cos they are for wearing.