• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Possible grail?

mitadoc

I recently tried on both the Chrono and standard Panodate version of the GO seventies - stunning watches. (Also tried the 39.5 and 43mm SeaQ on which are also both stunning watches).

Interestingly they both use the same case but the chrono subjectively felt bigger. The bracelets are brilliant and have the natty micro adjust by pushing the GO logo on the clasp, the movements look superbly finished (and are in house if that is of importance to you) and on the standard version the dial is a thing of beauty (charcoal sun burst was mesmerising). Out of the 15+ watches I tried on around the £5-6k mark the GO Standard Seventies Panodate was my favourite but it looks like it is being phased out and the only on a available (and still is) was second hand and I wanted to buy new. These watches are a definite step up in quality from Rolex (at similar or cheaper prices) and on a par with JLC/Blancpain imo.

51539915060_535ac5b11a_z.jpg

51539957325_f6d862ba76_z.jpg

Do get yourself down to a shop and try them on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

I always approve of GO, if JLC didn't exist I would definitely have one.

Matter of taste purely. I have the highest respect for JLC but have none (unfortunately most of their designs do not stir my soul), whereas I have (and love) four GOs (so, obviously, they do).

• Like 2

@Daveyboyz and @yokel, interesting, in my search GO seventies and JLC Polaris date filled the top two spots and were pretty much neck and neck but obviously different in style but both would have made excellent everyday watches. Both felt and looked quality items and for the price were more than a match for Rolex, Gand Seiko and Omega. Only went for the JLC as I could not source a new Seventies plus I found an online dealer doing the JLC on a bracelet for the same price as a rubber strap and 20% off RRP. Cones down to personal choice I guess.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, yokel said:

Matter of taste purely. I have the highest respect for JLC but have none (unfortunately most of their designs do not stir my soul), whereas I have (and love) four GOs (so, obviously, they do).

I guess I have a preference for swiss over German because I find the same with Lange vs Patek,   I could have added a Lange but wasn't stirred so got a second Patek.    I like the Panodate but went for a master calender though I am more stirred by GO than Lange for some reason.   It's hard for me to understand why this should be. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I guess I have a preference for swiss over German because I find the same with Lange vs Patek,   I could have added a Lange but wasn't stirred so got a second Patek.    I like the Panodate but went for a master calender though I am more stirred by GO than Lange for some reason.   It's hard for me to understand why this should be. 

I'm afraid I share your failure to be stirred by Lange  --  admiration, respect, but not love. Hence none.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chas g said:

Looks like the Kingsbury in the sales section.

Nothing wrong with the Kingsbury but coming back to this Glasshutte I find the date rather obtrusive . It is a watch first and foremost not a calendar. The date should be more subtle. 
It might look like a Kingsbury but I think you’ll find there is a world of difference in the watch build but the Kingsbury is good value for money.

• 2 weeks later...