• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Which Dress Watch (fairly high end) - Theoretical.

Ugg10

Ok, so theoretical only and a bit of fun (prompted by trying on a JKC Master control which was a bit special), but if you had a choice of the following medium/large dress(ish) watches what would you have in the £5000-7500 range -

Each has a slightly different complication - Date, stop/true seconds, thinnest movement, small seconds, small rotor, hand would etc..

JLC Master Control Ultra Thin date

Jaeger-LeCoultre_Master_Ultra-Thin_Date_

Habring2 Erwin stop / true seconds

2-jpg.15423703

Piaget Altoplano in white gold (sorry not a real fight but second hand is in a similar ball park)

timenn-ru-image-cache-data-Piaget-Piaget

Parmigiani Tondo 1950

Parmigiani-Fleurier-Tonda-1950-Steel-SIH

Chopard LUC XPS or 1860 version

168591-3001_1_1.jpg

Or anything else to look at?

• Like 1

They are all nice, but like AVO I will go with the Altiplano! Its just so classy. I feel the JLC would look a lot better without the date, that would be my second choice. The Habring2 looks interesting also. Don't think I have ever heard of this brand! The date on the Chopard kills that one for me and I am not too keen on the hands on the Parmigiani, although everything else about it is ace!

• Like 2

I like the JLC but would go for a white gold one not ultra-thin.   The standard model is thin enough IMO.

Other than that VC have some lively dress watches around the budget secondhand (I say that but everyone has seemed to notice that these were under-priced and there's been a squeeze on supply)

Dead beat seconds is not a complication I am a fan of so I wouldn't choose that.

Given other thread on here I am surprised there is no mention of GO and there must be a fair few IWC's in the bracket which would be worth a look.

Of course if you just want something pretty Cartier are the go to.

• Like 1

Dead-beat seconds ‘is’ a complication, an historic one at that!
Originally invented by Richard Townley (1675) for regulator clocks, making it easier to set other clocks.

However, since the advent of quartz timepieces & the stuttering second hand, the jumping second hand on an mechanical timepiece wouldn’t appeal to me (also).

Plenty of pre-owned, vintage pieces, would be my choice first.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Piaget probably my least favourite. Just don’t like the dial / indices positioning.

JLC, Chopard, Parmigiani, Habring, Piaget IMO

The JLC probably the only one I’d be overly interested in, but tbh I’d probably look at something like an Omega De Ville - 3 or 4K for a new one and pocket the change.

• Like 1

Some great comments, thanks all. I did look at the VC Patrimony and OP Calatrava but could not find any in that price range that were from reputable dealers. The Omega Orbis is interesting and pretty unique. I love the GO Seventies and the SeaQ but, like other, the Sixties dial and numerals do not do it for me. 

Edited by Ugg10

Just now, WickerBill said:

Grand Seiko Skyflake….or maybe the new 007

I tried on the GS Omiwatari SBGY007 and it was very well finished and has the benefit of a spring drive without the reserve indicator but just did not feel special to me. Obviously personal view and others may find differently.

• Like 1

I’ve tried on the Reverso, master ultra thin, GO sixties and Skyflake…..on the same day, and came away with the Skyflake. All 4 were stunning watches…but

GO Sixties, stunning dial but the movement is too small for the case, plus I tried on the Panomatic Lunar at the same time, and that is on another level

JLC Ultra thin, lovely case, impeccable movement but I just felt the white dial was a bit boring. If I could get a blue or champagne dial one I’d snap it up.

JLC Reverso, has to come on the Casa Fagliano strap, I still aim to own one of these at some point

Skyflake, perfection. Dial is insane, spring drive is cool.

Oh also forgot the Cartier Santos! This thing fits like a dream

• Like 2