• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

This is mental, isn't it?

Bricey

I was tempted to buy the steel version with the red LCD/LED screen which is a much more sensible £675. That is I was tempted until I tried one on, it has a butterfly bracelet clasp with two protruding pushers, it was very uncomfortable. Why do watchmakers use these bloody clasps?

200601-hamilton-psr-watch-unboxing-case-

• Agree 7

24 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

It is a nice looking watch but not for that price. When a F-91W can be had for a tenner which probably has a lot more functions it really puts it in perspective how much Hamilton are asking. Around the 300 mark would be more sensible in my opinion for such a watch. 

Since writing this I have thought about my F-91W comparison. I suppose this argument can be used against any watch. But I was trying to compare the digital quartz aspect about both. Not often you see digital quartz watches at that price apart from a few exceptions.

3 hours ago, Roxyben said:

It is a nice looking watch but not for that price. When a F-91W can be had for a tenner which probably has a lot more functions it really puts it in perspective how much Hamilton are asking. Around the 300 mark would be more sensible in my opinion for such a watch. 

£10 - You were robbed 

1970's - Free with 4 gallons of Texaco.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Half price Boxing Day sales. Bargain. :bash:

I've done a quick back-of-a-fag-packet calculation of the SRP breakdown per watch;

• Design costs (digging out original drawings, photocopying, scanning, CAD) = £6.85
  • R&D and manufacturing set up = £5.15
  • Manufacturing costs = £28
  • Laser etching 'Hamilton' on the case = £1
  • Swatch Group Profit = £459
  • AD Margin = £400
  • Total SRP = £900

Of, course those figures are only approximate :laugh::laugh:

1 hour ago, PaulBoy said:

I wouldn't pay half for this POS :rolleyes:

LED digital watches were an appalling heap of......back in the 1970s, which is why LCD took over so quickly.  You had to press a button to see the time because otherwise the battery would run flat in about an hour.  I wouldn't want to be reminded of that if the thing was free! :laugh::laugh:

47 minutes ago, chas g said:

£10 - You were robbed 

1970's - Free with 4 gallons of Texaco.

Plus a free Erica Hess and a free George Davis with every 5 gallons of Four Star.   That should be engraved on the case back for an authentic 1970s experience   You used to get free FA Cup centenary coins too - also worth more than an LED Hamilton;:laugh::laugh:

th?id=OIP.WYP2HADop48Z3Hg46LOdPgAAAA%26p

17 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

I've done a quick back-of-a-fag-packet calculation of the SRP breakdown per watch;

• Design costs (digging out original drawings, photocopying, scanning, CAD) = £6.85
  • R&D and manufacturing set up = £5.15
  • Manufacturing costs = £28
  • Laser etching 'Hamilton' on the case = £1
  • Swatch Group Profit = £459
  • AD Margin = £400
  • Total SRP = £900

Of, course those figures are only approximate :laugh::laugh:

LED digital watches were an appalling heap of......back in the 1970s, which is why LCD took over so quickly.  You had to press a button to see the time because otherwise the battery would run flat in about an hour.  I wouldn't want to be reminded of that if the thing was free! :laugh::laugh:

Plus a free Erica Hess and a free George Davis with every 5 gallons of Four Star.   That should be engraved on the case back for an authentic 1970s experience   You used to get free FA Cup centenary coins too - also worth more than an LED Hamilton;:laugh::laugh:

th?id=OIP.WYP2HADop48Z3Hg46LOdPgAAAA%26p

Before i properly read your post i was thinking whats coins and a johnny packet doing on the thread.:hmmm9uh:

• Haha 1

I like it...been waiting for the original to find it's real level in the market before I buy one , seen it for sale at £480 , waiting for it to dip below £400 before I take the plunge , as for this one I really like the green LED but as a special edition with a run of 1999 pieces I think they will all find a home without any discounting , they seem to do this with TV and film hook ups , the "Murph" and the "Farcry" are way overpriced imho

33 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Before i properly read your post i was thinking whats coins and a johnny packet doing on the thread.:hmmm9uh:

Those were the Esso paper packets in long tear-off strips with each paper 'pocket' containing a different football club coin, but you didn't know what was in each until you tore it open.

There are two things sad about that;

1. I remember collecting them
  2. What innocent times those were

:laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

No doubt Hamilton will have had to bung Warner Bros. a considerable sum in order to use "The Matrix" name hence the increased price of the watch.

The Casio A100 I bought recently is half the price of the similar one that has Pac-Man branding, presumably because Namco (or whoever owns the name these days) demanded a slice of the action.  Mickey Mouse watches are relatively expensive because Disney demands their cut.  Likewise anyone's product that's associated with Bond, LOTR, Star Wars, Marvel, DC etc. etc. etc.

• Agree 2