• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sekonda Roasts "Over-priced Watches" - No Time for Nonsense

RTM Boy

Some of you may have seen Sekonda's current TV ad that has a good go at roasting other watch brands.  Whilst zooming in on a yellow-dialled Sekonda quartz chronograph next to a couch the deep-voiced voiceover for the 30-second ad goes like this;

• This is for people with no time
  • No time for over-price watches
  • No time for over-price watches photographed on rented yachts
  • No time for watches that claim to work on the bottom of the ocean that are actually worn whilst sat in the bath
  • No time for watches that work in outer space, unless you are, in fact, an astronaut
  • No time for endorsements by self-satisfied actors, or washed-up ex-tennis-players
  • This is real life amigos
  • Sekonda
  • No time for nonsense

I must say I admire their guts for taking aim big brands and whilst being an 'anti-brand' is not exactly a new phenomenon, it's pretty new in horology as far as I am aware, insofar as every brand I can think of, including microbrands, are selling a lifestyle of some sort as part of their brand positioning (I await incoming bombardment of other examples of anti-brands I haven't thought of or forgotten about :laugh:).

Perhaps this Ronseal/John Smiths approach appeals to me because I like tool watches and find hyperbole and nonsensical endorsements and pretentious associations a real turn-off.

I'm assuming that Sekonda did some research that suggested at least some watch buyers are unhappy about sky-rocketing SRPs?

What do others think?

If you haven't seen it, you can watch it here;

https://www.sekonda.com/as-seen-on-tv

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

nice sentiment pity they are such crap watches though :(

I think of them as a bit ordinary and uninspired really. They are cheap quartz and they do a job. I doubt whether you can conduct a really successful (non-political) advertising campaign based on dissing the opposition. Though I suspect that the majority of people who would be taken in by their ad would probably not be looking at the opposition anyway.

Its a good advert at the right time of the year and in a sense the sentiment of the advert is basically true, they are a watch that people can afford,  most people dont dive to god knows how many fathoms. dont fly to the moon, dont own yachts and haven't won Wimbledon.

Good on Sekonda for carrying on making watches that most people can afford.

• Agree 2

Reprise of the advertising they used in the 80s, "beware of expensive imitations" I think. You can see their point, they do everything a pricier brand would do and look good enough on wrist. Just not got that reassuring feel in hand you get from a "proper" watch but then not everyone wants or needs that from a watch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Owned by a UK company, nothing to do with Russia these days, I think the same company also own Accurist and Limit. Made in Hong Kong they sell around 2 million watches a year most of which probably end up in landfill in pretty short order.  Pre-1990 Sekonda are worth owning as most are rebadged Poljot, Slava, Raketa etc.

Most watch advertising campaigns are pretty bad IMO be they on a yacht or in Sekonda's "real life amigo". Did David Beckham inspire me to buy a Tudor? Nope. Did Michael Bublé inspire me to buy a Rolex? Nope. Did Breitling's cinema squad inspire me to buy a Chronomat? Nope. Will Sekonda's "real life amigo" inspire me to buy a Sekonda? Nope, I would rather have a cheap GShock or a Vostok

8 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Reprise of the advertising they used in the 80s, "beware of expensive imitations" I think. You can see their point, they do everything a pricier brand would do and look good enough on wrist. Just not got that reassuring feel in hand you get from a "proper" watch but then not everyone wants or needs that from a watch.

Except in the 80's they were decent Soviet made watches not the Hong Kong stuff they sell now

I'm a little torn, we all like seeing the little guy sticking it to the big boys.

But, Sekonda aren't a little guy, they just make watches priced for the little guy (by the million).

So in reality it is saying "don't buy this expensive product from that multi-million pound company, buy this really cheap product from this multi-million pound company".

Would we cheer and praise tesco's budget/no frills range if their new ad campaign was "why buy expensive free range, additive free meat from some fancy boutique butchers when you can have the mashed lips and a*seholes of a 30 year old battery hen in our nuggets for just £1 a bag?".

I kinda give it a pass because I like an advert that knocks advertising (watches are bad, but perfume/aftershave adverts are peaky advertising silliness imo*), but let's not pretend that anyone with designs on a watch worth anything above £100 is going to think "maybe I should try a Sekonda instead" after seeing that advert.

(*actually peak advertising silliness for me is when the regional waterboard advertise on the TV and radio. Do they think I'm going to cut them and switch to evian for baths and flushing the toilet? Are they worried I might be planing to run a hose scross county lines to try and see if Seven Trent are offering a better product than them boys at Anglia? If there has ever been a more obvious waste of money, I'd love go know what it is!)

Edited by Bricey

I have always tried to look at advertising for what it is - BS.

Last time I went to Cyprus Jet2 were flogging Sekonda watches on the plane. The couple next to me were all over them for about an hour and the bloke eventually bought one.

The singles travel company I always use was advertising a particular trip on its website. One of the photos was a group of people sitting around a dinner table: five stunning young women, all in their 20s and a similarly young bearded hipster bloke who looked as happy as a dog with two Parnises. 

Now, on every trip I have been on with this company (about 16) the group has always been delightful but the average age is probably over 50 and there are quite a few wrinkles and extra pounds floating around. I know the boss of this company quite well so I emailed him asking which trip this group had been photographed on, and could I book it please? He had the bloody cheek to accuse me of being sarcastic.

• Haha 6

55 minutes ago, JoT said:

Most watch advertising campaigns are pretty bad IMO be they on a yacht or in Sekonda's "real life amigo". Did David Beckham inspire me to buy a Tudor? Nope. Did Michael Bublé inspire me to buy a Rolex? Nope. Did Breitling's cinema squad inspire me to buy a Chronomat? Nope. Will Sekonda's "real life amigo" inspire me to buy a Sekonda? Nope, I would rather have a cheap GShock or a Vostok

But interestingly the advertising works well enough for you to know which 'self-satisfied actor, or washed-up ex-tennis-player/footballer' Z-list celebrity gets free watches from the brands in question in return for doing the sales dance...er, sorry, I mean acting as a 'key brand ambassador'. :laugh:

Since the whole idea of ambassadors is to create an association with the brand, I think Tudor, Rolex and Breitling would consider that they have marketed successfully to you albeit subconsciously...

...Watch my eyes, looking into my eyes, don't look anywhere else, just look into my eyes, now close your eyes and listen to my words, just my words, no-one else's words...when I say 'moonwatch' you will feel craving and desire...you will think you are Buzz Aldrin...you will believe....you will believe...and you will buy a Sekonda...

:laugh::laugh:

13 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

But interestingly the advertising works well enough for you to know which 'self-satisfied actor, or washed-up ex-tennis-player/footballer' Z-list celebrity gets free watches from the brands in question in return for doing the sales dance...er, sorry, I mean acting as a 'key brand ambassador'. :laugh:

Since the whole idea of ambassadors is to create an association with the brand, I think Tudor, Rolex and Breitling would consider that they have marketed successfully to you albeit subconsciously...

...Watch my eyes, looking into my eyes, don't look anywhere else, just look into my eyes, now close your eyes and listen to my words, just my words, no-one else's words...when I say 'moonwatch' you will feel craving and desire...you will think you are Buzz Aldrin...you will believe....you will believe...and you will buy a Sekonda...

:laugh::laugh:

Well I am an admin on a watch forum so am supposed to know what's going on :laugh:

Still won't make me buy a watch though!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JoT said:

Well I am an admin on a watch forum so am supposed to know what's going on :laugh:

So am I, but I’m still clueless.  I would recognise Beckham and George Looney.   Bublé, isn’t he the warbler that all the old ladies go gaga for?  Don’t know what he looks like, though. 

Nims.  Project Possible.  Now there’s a coup.  And Mr and Mrs Chicken-McNugget and the kids from the Dungeon Dimensions won’t have a Scooby who he is, what the Big 14 are or even who Bremont are. Sound! Pukka! 

All I can really say about the advert is I don't really identity with it. "No time for watches.. " :hmmm9uh:Well.. yes I do actually. 

Is it supposed to make me want one? Maybe, but then again I do have time to look around and see what's what.

large.20211012_160634.jpg.11225fb2b56fbcbfb8d622ae326a4bbd.jpg

Would I buy one, sure. Theres mine. I swapped out the strap for a £5, thick milanese and sitting at total cost of £30.. its pretty decent for the money.

It's actually became quite a favourite of mine as a quick pick up and go watch that I don't have to worry about. 

I found the advert a bit boring though, not quite funny. It honestly could be doing without all the statements and just have a ticking sound ending with a price. 

Edit. Watch it muted and see what I mean.

Edited by SolaVeritate
  • Like 1

I am usually very good at ignoring TV ads, but that one made me take notice. I quite like someone poking fun at pretentious lifestyle advertising, it's about time someone did.

Will it mean I buy a Sekonda? No, but it has reminded me they exist, and the watch actually looks quite nice.

Edit- Although after a second look the hands are rather short.

Edited by Duncan U.
Note added
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's strange how a company like Time Products, one arm of the company which sell brands like Piaget, Hublot and Audemars Piguet , has decided to engage in advertising like this, given their old  association with Audemars Piguet and the like and the fact that 'Mr Margulies, founder and CEO of Time Products Luxury, spent almost 30 years amassing what is thought to have been the most significant private collection in the world, including pieces dating from the 1890s to the 1990s'.

Seems to me to be more a case of 'Do as I say, not what I do' .... :biggrin:

1 hour ago, artistmike said:

It's strange how a company like Time Products, one arm of the company which sell brands like Piaget, Hublot and Audemars Piguet , has decided to engage in advertising like this, given their old  association with Audemars Piguet and the like and the fact that 'Mr Margulies, founder and CEO of Time Products Luxury, spent almost 30 years amassing what is thought to have been the most significant private collection in the world, including pieces dating from the 1890s to the 1990s'.

Seems to me to be more a case of 'Do as I say, not what I do' .... :biggrin:

To be fair, from TF's perspective, there's must clearly be a different strategy between owning very much entry-level brands Sekonda, Accurist and Limit as major businesses and having a boutique selling mainly used and some new high-end watches.  Perhaps AP's decision to take all distribution and retailing in-house has left them miffed - assuming they can get stock at all? :hmmm9uh:

Watchpro did an analysis of the 2019 accounts, with the split between the volume business and Time Products Luxury.

image.png.26eeca3184767cf15838f941e3c9fd59.pngimage.png.946747b1ba93ed12856a08daa338fe1a.png

https://www.watchpro.com/time-products-luxury-and-volume-divisions-tell-a-tale-of-two-markets/

Things haven't got easier in the last couple of years. Time Products UK sold a lot into airlines and duty free and that market has gone. In 2019 they sold £11.6m overseas; in 2021 financial year it was £642K. According to the latest report & accounts, TP Luxury is now trading exclusively from 27 Berkeley Square, by appointment. The volume business has had to be hastily re-engineered to sell online, hence the sudden re-emergence of TV advertising. I guess they don't care too much about any impact on the luxury side.

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 1

Interesting psychology in their new adverts.

Sure, there are no high flying astronauts, adventurous deep sea divers, glamorous tennis players or extravagant yachts etc. but the two actors they are using appear to represent a fat, lazy, couch potato that can't even be bothered to get dressed let alone put on a watch and a clapped out old nag who can't summon the energy to get out of bed at all or even drop her false teeth (that are no doubt still encrusted in last night's cheap supermarket frozen pizza) into the glass of Steradent on the bedside table!

Somehow I doubt that the walls of Glashütte are shaking or that there are anxious murmurs in the corridors of power at Swatch, Richemont or LVMH.

They say "We know what makes our watches great" but, having watched the two ads (which are indeed a very funny and valid dig at the luxury end of the market) I'm not sure that I do.  I have an old Soviet-era Sekonda and a cheap modern one.  The modern one is horrible :laugh:

23 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

Some of you may have seen Sekonda's current TV ad that has a good go at roasting other watch brands.  Whilst zooming in on a yellow-dialled Sekonda quartz chronograph next to a couch the deep-voiced voiceover for the 30-second ad goes like this;

• This is for people with no time
  • No time for over-price watches
  • No time for over-price watches photographed on rented yachts
  • No time for watches that claim to work on the bottom of the ocean that are actually worn whilst sat in the bath
  • No time for watches that work in outer space, unless you are, in fact, an astronaut
  • No time for endorsements by self-satisfied actors, or washed-up ex-tennis-players
  • This is real life amigos
  • Sekonda
  • No time for nonsense

I must say I admire their guts for taking aim big brands and whilst being an 'anti-brand' is not exactly a new phenomenon, it's pretty new in horology as far as I am aware, insofar as every brand I can think of, including microbrands, are selling a lifestyle of some sort as part of their brand positioning (I await incoming bombardment of other examples of anti-brands I haven't thought of or forgotten about :laugh:).

Perhaps this Ronseal/John Smiths approach appeals to me because I like tool watches and find hyperbole and nonsensical endorsements and pretentious associations a real turn-off.

I'm assuming that Sekonda did some research that suggested at least some watch buyers are unhappy about sky-rocketing SRPs?

What do others think?

If you haven't seen it, you can watch it here;

https://www.sekonda.com/as-seen-on-tv

I wondered when you would pick up on their advert that I posted in another thread. I knew it would be right up your street and you were the first person I thought of when I saw it the other night on the telly. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

I wondered when you would pick up on their advert that I posted in another thread. I knew it would be right up your street and you were the first person I thought of when I saw it the other night on the telly. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Dependable is my middle name after all :laugh::laugh:

Sekonda, I just don't rate them at all although ive only had one, i lusted after a blue dialled chronograph with a bor bracelet that looked spanking, cheap as chips so i bought one.

Fast forward a few days to when it arrived, well, I was initially shocked at how low quality it was, but then i realised that i hadn't paid much money for it.

I got what i paid for, now i like the look of that yellow dialled Sekonda but it will be just another piece of cheap tat.

As an aside i picked up a bronze coloured Invicta i have from years ago when i championed their value for money, wore the hell out of it, holiday swim watch with no problems, now when i pick it up, it just feels, well so tacky, what was i thinking? then i was happy to have a substantial collection of Invictas and not a single one over £100 and most half that, just not for me anymore.

2acf1200778cf0fc1b1adad2907ab080.jpg