• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The "Coolest" watches....

29 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Watches are fab and all ... but they are rarely "cool". The notion could be considered by some as ridiculous. The only way they get close to that is if they are jaunty in colour, impudent in aesthetic and de rigour of wrist posture. With that in mind I would suggest @mrzee's Certina is "cool" , but nothing I own is , remotely. :-)

Thanks! It is pretty smart however I’d argue that these are both very cool too in my opinion. Oh and by the way, don’t you still own a Seamaster? If Bond wears one then they must be cool!!!

Claro Beach Star WatchOrient Sea King SK Watch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bricey said:

https://www.fashionbeans.com/article/coolest-watches-ever-made/

Now "cool" is going to be different to each of us but is there any in that list that you feel strongly should not be?

And what is in your mind being omitted from the list unfairly?

I think my next two purchases should be on there (but that's why I want them as my next two purchases!)

CBE2110.FC8226aa_900x.jpg?v=1598875680

Breitling-Top-Time-1-768x538.jpg

Obviously I feel that @yokel's Moser should also be on the list and I'd personally have a Glashutte Sixties in there as well.

The only one I feel strongly should not be on that list is the Seiko, there are many iconic watches that I'd have accepted as cool from the brand, but the orange 5 would not be anywhere close to the Seiko top 10 for me!

The Tudor heritage Chrono and the B&R are the only two on that list that I consider having "cool factor" in design. Add the Tag Monaco for cool factor in history. Really not a fan of the rest at all.

I do agree the Breitling you've got listed here is much deserving of the title as well. Add the Tag Grand Carrera line, Anonimo with their 12 o'clock crown and integrated crown guard system, ZRC much the same, everything Urwerk, everything Alexander Shorokhoff, everything Konstantin Chaykin, and about a hundred others alike that I haven't the patience to dedicate to writing down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayDeep said:

The Tudor heritage Chrono and the B&R are the only two on that list that I consider having "cool factor" in design. Add the Tag Monaco for cool factor in history. Really not a fan of the rest at all.

A watch can suddenly become very uncool on the "wrong" wrist.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Bricey said:

https://www.fashionbeans.com/article/coolest-watches-ever-made/

Now "cool" is going to be different to each of us but is there any in that list that you feel strongly should not be?

And what is in your mind being omitted from the list unfairly?

The Seamaster and the Monaco deserve to be on that cool list, the rest are just "meh" ordinary watches IMHO.  But since the term "cool" is totally subjective, it's all a bit pointless really, just like the Top Gear cool wall.

i'm with @Eaglegale on this - cool is understated, just doing the right thing and nothing more like a classic dress watch.  But ideally it has to be scarce - you can't be cool if everyone in the room wears one, but you can if no one in the room has even seen one before in the flesh

DSC_0180 (2)

Being against the fashion is also cool, so if everyone is wearing steel watches with chronographs then go the opposite way

1988 Breguet

The above are expensive options, but cheaper alternatives are available

The other option is the billionaire choice, and wearing a Casio despite being able to afford anything you want.  Uber cool, but I am not in that gang!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eaglegale said:

If cool means not needing to be showy or not having to try too hard, then I reckon a Max Bill fits the, um, bill.

Simple and elegant, with all it needs and nothing it doesn't need.

Junghans-Max-Bill-00009.jpg

Definitely, and one of these from an earlier era.

607a804ce7c830991a77d800ed089b8d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

cool is understated, just doing the right thing and nothing more like a classic dress watch.  But ideally it has to be scarce

And let’s not forget location! (Christmas Day and New Year’s Day in Cyprus) :yes:

E76645F2-CBFE-4D8D-8682-E791D85B20A2.thumb.jpeg.296ab9c7526f8bcea61cd2be8d53ca80.jpegBA86F4D9-4B96-4EF9-94FD-D33EAA5A0CD7.thumb.jpeg.984808794056ed9afdd633cb6afe8a24.jpeg

7 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

cool is understated,

In the days that I used to walk to a remote cafe for Sunday breakfast, there were two other regulars, one came in an ancient well worn Land Rover, jumper with worn cuffs and a vintage Air King, the other in a Range Rover that looked like a tarts hand bag, fake tan and a bi-metal Daytona. One of them was cool. :wicked:

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, mrzee said:

Oh and by the way, don’t you still own a Seamaster? If Bond wears one then they must be cool!!!

Yep, that is going nowhere , its my daily currently ,,,, never thought of it as "cool", but do now .... so bravo .... you have improved my day ....

• Like 2

The Casio on the op list.. its not cool. Theres nothing cool about it.

I'm not saying it's a bad watch, seriously. It's practical and care free. I would be surprised if everyone in here didn't have a similar one from their childhood.. but 'nostalgic' is not 'cool'.

• Agree 1

On 06/01/2022 at 11:52, SolaVeritate said:

The Casio on the op list.. its not cool. Theres nothing cool about it.

I'm not saying it's a bad watch, seriously. It's practical and care free. I would be surprised if everyone in here didn't have a similar one from their childhood.. but 'nostalgic' is not 'cool'.

Agreed.

Whereas ....

square2.thumb.jpg.9f4a95cba7f42b9bc9a3c16364594760.jpg

:cool:

• Haha 2

On 05/01/2022 at 21:14, WickerBill said:

As is this Omega….because of the story behind it and the build to make these pieces 

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watches/specialities/first-omega-wrist-chronograph/product

Im not much into watches of that age, but that is a beaut, and at 47mm a whopper but on wire lugs won't be too big. If only!!

Great story too

On 05/01/2022 at 23:19, mrzee said:

Thanks! It is pretty smart however I’d argue that these are both very cool too in my opinion. Oh and by the way, don’t you still own a Seamaster? If Bond wears one then they must be cool!!!

Claro Beach Star WatchOrient Sea King SK Watch

These Orients are lovely watches, real 70s vibe going on. Whenever ive worn one, which is quite awhile ago, it always attracted a lot of attention

• Thanks 1

I'd say watches are cool, they are featured in pop culture as much as cars, planes etc.

Not sure on that list though. I'm a big fan of the Nomos but that list is neither popular cool or enthusiast cool.

My list would be almost exclusively vintage but I think these should be included in a modern list:

Timex Marlin Peanuts

Jungans Max Bill

Cartier Tank

Zenith El P Revival Shadow

Any Schofield

I had a longer list until I realised the vintage versions of them were better. I'd probably add a Mr Jones or budget Casio as well.